1341 users online (303 members and 1038 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Michigan Prison Inmate Dies After Eating Peanut Butter Sandwich

Click here for link

STANTON, Mich. An inmate with a peanut allergy has died after eating a peanut butter sandwich at the Montcalm County Jail, the sheriff there said Monday.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

There was a CSI, Miami episode where a man on death row w/a peanut allergy chose a PB sandwich and died...IIRC.

This guy was 30 yrs old. I'm assuming he knew of his allergy.

Wow - that's terrible. Maybe he was keyed up or otherwise impaired when he was arrested and didn't think about it.

Ah, that's a good point, SCM. He could have been impaired when he ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Ah, that's a good point, SCM. He could have been impaired when he ate it.
    It's the only thing that sorta makes sense to me - seems like by that age you would know you have an allergy and have the sense to stay far away from peanuts. This is interesting that this occurred in light of the other peanut allergy thread that's going.

Scary scary stuff! I always ask my kids friends and their parents about peanut allergies, etc..but it's frightening to think that eating a sandwich could kill someone so quickly.

Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    you may think this is horrible for me to say, but he could have been forced to eat it. some people would be SHOCKED at the treatment of prisoners.

my friend had to serve one month for a petty crime. she had JUST been released from the hospital (sentence even had to be delayed) for a near fatal illness. While in prison the correction officers refused to give her her medicane. And they forced her to eat food that could have killed her.

A judge finally intervened, and told them to give my friend her meds and food that wouldn't harm her. When that happened the corrections officers called her a crybaby and gave other inmates permission to beat her up.

needless to say she's never been the same since.

I remember when this was in the news;
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10243950/

Teen with peanut allergy dies after kiss

updated 8:20 p.m. ET, Mon., Nov. 28, 2005
    SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by ttrachel04 View Post
    you may think this is horrible for me to say, but he could have been forced to eat it. some people would be SHOCKED at the treatment of prisoners.

my friend had to serve one month for a petty crime. she had JUST been released from the hospital (sentence even had to be delayed) for a near fatal illness. While in prison the correction officers refused to give her her medicane. And they forced her to eat food that could have killed her.

A judge finally intervened, and told them to give my friend her meds and food that wouldn't harm her. When that happened the corrections officers called her a crybaby and gave other inmates permission to beat her up.

needless to say she's never been the same since.

On the flip side this inmate could have thought that by deliberately inducing an allergic reaction he could spend his time in a hospital bed rather then a cell and it just backfired on him.

I am curious about your friend... What foods could have killed her and how was she forced to eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    I remember when this was in the news;
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10243950/

Teen with peanut allergy dies after kiss

updated 8:20 p.m. ET, Mon., Nov. 28, 2005
    SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    That turned out to be a mistake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11659935

updated 6:54 p.m. ET, Fri., March. 3, 2006
    SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his snack of peanut butter, a Quebec coroner said Friday, countering a report that drew international attention last year.

Saguenay coroner Michel Miron said Christina Desforges died from another cause. However, he refused to disclose that, saying he first wanted to report to the provincial coroner’s office as well as examine more test results.

But Miron said he was speaking out now to head off an allergy association from using the case as an example.

and

http://www.ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/Do...ADA11May06.pdf

Christina Desforges died from an asthma attack after "physical exertion" with her boyfriend,
    not from an allergic reaction to a peanut butter-laced kiss, said coroner Michel Miron.
    The 15-year-old girl stopped breathing in the early morning hours of Nov. 20, 2005, after
    kissing her boyfriend. He had eaten two pieces of toast with peanut butter about nine hours
    earlier.
    The initial suspicion that lingering peanut allergens triggered an allergic reaction was wrong,
    Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
    with her boyfriend.

" Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
    with her boyfriend."

Any guesses on what that physical activity was??

Hmmm. I'm trying to think here. Basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
    " Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
    with her boyfriend."

Any guesses on what that physical activity was??

Oh My Gosh! I wonder how psychologically damaged the boy is now? Wonder if he's had any luck becoming intimate with another?

Is it possible this guy ate it knowing he would have to be rushed to the ER and maybe was gonna try to escape?

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    There was a CSI, Miami episode where a man on death row w/a peanut allergy chose a PB sandwich and died...IIRC.

This guy was 30 yrs old. I'm assuming he knew of his allergy.
    I agree. It sounds like suicide by sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Wow - that's terrible. Maybe he was keyed up or otherwise impaired when he was arrested and didn't think about it.

Or else he had told them of his peanut allergy and assumed he was eating a soy butter sandwich.....that stuff is remarkably like peanut butter in taste and aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    I agree. It sounds like suicide by sandwich.

If he chose this as a way to commit suicide, he must never have gone into anaphlactic shock before. That is a terrifying sensation, you are totally cognizant as to what is going on, the fight for oxygen is incredible...I mean your body starts heaving trying to pull air in....it's nothing I can imagine anyone choosing. Of course you eventually pass out, but not nearly in time to avoid the terror.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast