16 Pound Facial Tumor

Jean

Former Member
Reaction score
I feel so sorry for this young girl!

Doctors to Remove 16-Pound Facial Tumor

A Vietnamese girl with a 16-pound facial tumor is in Miami awaiting surgery to restore her ability to eat and speak.

Fifteen-year-old Lai Thi Dao suffers from a Schwannoma tumor that has been growing since she was 3. The tumor has severely disfigured her face and kept her from ever attending school.

Picture and more of article at link: http://news.aol.com/health/story/ar/_a/doctors-to-remove-16-pound-facial-tumor/20080423094809990001

Jean, I saw this little girl in today's paper. This poor kid. I have never seen anything like that in my life. Never got to go to school, and she can't even eat. That's wonderful the good people in Miami are going to help this little girl. I sent up a quick prayer today and I'm gonna keep praying.

That poor little thing. I hope she doesn't have some disease that she keeps getting them and having to have surgery.

Will they be able to reconstruct her face once it is removed? Such a sad burden to bear.

I bet they can SCM. There's amazing progress in reconstructive surgery. I'd think the danger would be in removing the tumor. No matter though this lil girl will be getting good care and treatment here. I can't imagine how tough it was for her in Vietnam. Stay tough little baby doll.

This is so sad! I watched a Discovery health about a little one with a giant growth on his face and it was amazing to watch it removed in several surgeries.

gosh here is another one. Bless this guy's heart! Not for the squeamish

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3964317&page=1

Oh, that poor man! It is so sad that he has gone through life with that tumor. The article was three pages long, but I learned a lot from it. The pictures just broke my heart--they were difficult to look at. His tumor just keeps growing.

I wasn't aware that Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses' interpretation of the Bible prohibits taking blood from anyone--causing them to refuse to undergo surgeries requiring blood transfusions), and if they do get a transfusion they are "ignored by other Jehovah's Witnesses". The article went into explaining "cell salvaging" which "essentially takes a patient's own blood out, keeps it in the operating room, and then gives it back to the patient, avoiding a blood transfusion from another person."

Also from the article--"Even if doctors successfully remove Mestre's tumor, it's unlikely his face will ever be perfectly symmetrical, one plastic surgeon told ABCNEWS.com. These tumors distort the bones and facial tissue to a degree that is often impossible to fix completely. "

I hope the girl in the article I linked is young enough that there won't be extensive bone and tissue problems.

Oh, that poor man! It is so sad that he has gone through life with that tumor. The article was three pages long, but I learned a lot from it. The pictures just broke my heart--they were difficult to look at. His tumor just keeps growing.

I wasn't aware that Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses' interpretation of the Bible prohibits taking blood from anyone--causing them to refuse to undergo surgeries requiring blood transfusions), and if they do get a transfusion they are "ignored by other Jehovah's Witnesses". The article went into explaining "cell salvaging" which "essentially takes a patient's own blood out, keeps it in the operating room, and then gives it back to the patient, avoiding a blood transfusion from another person."

Also from the article--"Even if doctors successfully remove Mestre's tumor, it's unlikely his face will ever be perfectly symmetrical, one plastic surgeon told ABCNEWS.com. These tumors distort the bones and facial tissue to a degree that is often impossible to fix completely. "

I hope the girl in the article I linked is young enough that there won't be extensive bone and tissue problems.

Well I guess if it was up the jehovahs witnesses I would be dead. If it wasnt for a blood transfusion I would have died. And I saw a whole story on discovery health about a little boy whith a ginormous facial tumor who had several surgeries to remove it. He ended up dying after the film and I cried.

They followed a young teen through his journey with that same sort of tumor on Health Channel some time ago. Don't remember how many surgeries he had - his was so large and involved most of his face from below eyes to throat so they had to take it off in 2 or 3 surgeries spread out over time. While he didn't look "normal" he did look pretty darn good eventually. Had to create a lower jaw bone and some of his structures over the sinuses as well as new nose.

Goodness, that was awful. I'm glad that these doctors dedicated themselves to helping this young girl live! :clap: for them!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back