Sam's Club restricts purchases of certain types of rice

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a8eTi39MS7Vc&refer=home

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Sam's Club warehouse unit is restricting purchases of some types of rice to four bags a visit as prices reached a record in Chicago futures trading.
The limits on jasmine, basmati and long-grain white rice, a response to ``recent supply and demand trends,'' will be put into effect in all U.S. stores where allowed by law and are effective immediately, Sam's Club spokeswoman Kristy Reed said today in an e-mailed statement. (much more at link)

:eek:

These types of rice are more specialized, I think, than our typical "white" rice...right?

Guess this was inevitable.
Good thing my family doesn't eat much rice.

We never eat much rice because we try to stay away from simple carbs. We were thinking of stocking up on rice though just in case...

Well, it WAS a good idea till the price went up! lol

Gosh, if you can't live on rice when money is tight, what's left?! lol

4 bags a visit is ALOT though. The rice bags are huge that Sams sells. I used to go there and buy the basmati because one bag would last at least two months. We eat rice at least 2-3 times a week and thats for a family of 5.

About a week and a half ago we went to Costco to buy food, and couldn't believe it when we saw there was no rice. None. We asked if the rice had been moved or something. The clerk said that someone came in earlier that day and purchased all 211 bags of rice! That's a LOT of rice. It really p*ssed me off because we had to back the next day to get the rice and you know you can never go to Costco and buy only what you have on your list!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a8eTi39MS7Vc&refer=home

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Sam's Club warehouse unit is restricting purchases of some types of rice to four bags a visit as prices reached a record in Chicago futures trading.
The limits on jasmine, basmati and long-grain white rice, a response to ``recent supply and demand trends,'' will be put into effect in all U.S. stores where allowed by law and are effective immediately, Sam's Club spokeswoman Kristy Reed said today in an e-mailed statement. (much more at link)

:eek:

These types of rice are more specialized, I think, than our typical "white" rice...right?
Jasmine and long grain are typical "white" rice. Basmati, my favorite, is white rice as well, but a little different.

I eat alot of rice. I go through bags easily but I havent tried sams club yet.Im use to paying more for rice since I like lundberg's organic blends. It is cheaper to eat rice than other foods still, I use brown rice as the main part of my meal with veggies for stir fries and skip the meat. My average grocery bill for our family of three in the summer since we all go vegetarian for the most part then is around $70 and thats with organic juices, vegetables and fruits from walmart organics and from a local farmer. Im hoping it will be even cheaper this year by growing some of my own.

Humans weren't meant to eat too many carbohydrates. I don't understand what people are freaking out about.

p.s. This probably could be merged with the "Food Rationing in America?" thread.

Humans weren't meant to eat too many carbohydrates. I don't understand what people are freaking out about.

p.s. This probably could be merged with the "Food Rationing in America?" thread.

Not true for everyone- Im actually skinnier because of being a vegetarian. I also have a very low cholesterol and no blood pressure problems. Each person can require a different type of diet to make them healthier. Avoiding animal products lets me eat as much as I want and not have to worry about weight. Some people do better on a omni diet and need the animal products (dairy, meat, poultry) but not everyone.

Are people freaking out? I think poor people that have used rice as an inexpensive filler (or even a staple) are probably not happy with the price going up and the amounts being limited.

Not true for everyone- Im actually skinnier because of being a vegetarian. I also have a very low cholesterol and no blood pressure problems. Each person can require a different type of diet to make them healthier. Avoiding animal products lets me eat as much as I want and not have to worry about weight. Some people do better on a omni diet and need the animal products (dairy, meat, poultry) but not everyone.

Ah, but there's so much more to being a vegetarian than not eating meat. You obviously get your protein requirements from somewhere.

What is next to be rationed? Yesterday I went to the pump to get gasoline and the pump cut me off @ $75, I asked the woman running the store why and she told me that was all that was allowed at one time and all gasoline transactions were pay at the pump or pre-pay. I do not know if that is rationing or just protecting the store from drive off's- charge backs or all of the above.

Yes I do. Beans, nuts and very little soy. I stick with my protein and carbs for half my plate and half my plate of vegetables with a little fruit on the side and usually popcorn for my late night snack.

I do take b12 too since it is needed. To me its worth it to balance it out to avoid all the health conditions. It does take much more effort on the balancing part than an omni diet which is why my daughter and husband are not full vegetarians since their diets dont have enough variety. You can be a junk food vegetarian if your not watching it, potato chips are a vegetarian food and they are definitely not healthy.

What is next to be rationed? Yesterday I went to the pump to get gasoline and the pump cut me off @ $75, I asked the woman running the store why and she told me that was all that was allowed at one time and all gasoline transactions were pay at the pump or pre-pay. I do not know if that is rationing or just protecting the store from drive off's- charge backs or all of the above.

It's protection from drive-offs. My friend has a gas station/restaurant/convenience store. I'm betting many more stations will make you prepay or charge. At my friend's store you can also turn in your keys and then fill up.

It's protection from drive-offs. My friend has a gas station/restaurant/convenience store. I'm betting many more stations will make you prepay or charge. At my friend's store you can also turn in your keys and then fill up.
I deffinatly get the protection thing, but I was using my charge card, was confused why they would limit my charge to $75, seems to me if I was using a charge then I could get all I wanted. For granted, I did not need much more than that, it put my car at almost full, and I was pretty much on empty when I pulled in but I like to top it off till can not take any more.

I deffinatly get the protection thing, but I was using my charge card, was confused why they would limit my charge to $75, seems to me if I was using a charge then I could get all I wanted. For granted, I did not need much more than that, it put my car at almost full, and I was pretty much on empty when I pulled in but I like to top it off till can not take any more.

What are you driving, a tank? :)

What are you driving, a tank? :)
More or less! LOL I have a 2005 Envoy I was actually looking to purcahse a mini van when I got this one but I ended up with this instead. It just has a large tank, I get really good fuel miles. My tank is 22 or so gallons.

Try explaining that to the folks whose families orgininated in Asia, Mexico or any number of other places where rice is a mainstay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back