New GPS Device To Track Kids Or Elderly

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Using GPS technology, the device has been in the works for several years. The inventor, who is from Oologah, says it's ready for sale.

~snip~

You use the device with your cell phone and it can help you find your child.

~snip~

The device works in two ways. If your child needs help she can push the SOS button. Then your phone will ring and you see the coordinates of where she is, within 20 feet. You can also call the device and get your child's location that way too.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=707d9116-f799-45e8-8814-b674d7a5b5ef

Good idea. The only thing on the down side I'd think it would give people a false sense of security. It'd be great for teens though. That way nobody would have to yell "Take a picture of it" like my brother does with his sons. They say they are one place and they're not so now my brother tells them to take a picture of the movie theater or mall and send it to him. Hey, anything that may help in the safety of children I say go for it.

I researched these types of devices a few years ago for my autistic son. There are some issues.

1. Battery life. Some units only have a battery life of 4 hours, too short for a typical school day.

2. Signal. Many units will not work indoors and are questionable if in a vehicle.

3. Bulk. The units are too large to be comfortable if worn consistently.

There is an alternative. Our local Search & Rescue teams promote radio transponders. The technology is time tested; it's been used to track wildlife for 50+ years. They are reliable and have a range of 2-5 miles. They can be tracked from air or ground.

We've used one for almost three years and it works great. It actually does work. We lost it in a pool one time and the S&R team tracked it down to the dumpster in the pool parking lot. :)

It looks like a wrist watch with a nylon band. Size is wrist watch diameter and maybe twice as thick. My son wears it with no complaints.

Whatever unit you decide on, make sure you make an informed decision and ask the right questions.

I researched these types of devices a few years ago for my autistic son. There are some issues.

1. Battery life. Some units only have a battery life of 4 hours, too short for a typical school day.

2. Signal. Many units will not work indoors and are questionable if in a vehicle.

3. Bulk. The units are too large to be comfortable if worn consistently.

There is an alternative. Our local Search & Rescue teams promote radio transponders. The technology is time tested; it's been used to track wildlife for 50+ years. They are reliable and have a range of 2-5 miles. They can be tracked from air or ground.

We've used one for almost three years and it works great. It actually does work. We lost it in a pool one time and the S&R team tracked it down to the dumpster in the pool parking lot. :)

It looks like a wrist watch with a nylon band. Size is wrist watch diameter and maybe twice as thick. My son wears it with no complaints.

Whatever unit you decide on, make sure you make an informed decision and ask the right questions.

Thanks for this valuable information, X. That's wonderful you all have found something that's comfortable, and works so well. Whoa, in the dumpster at the pool. How the heck? LOL

Good invention, but I'd like to see them tack on a feature where you mark on a map areas where you wouldn't want your children to be in, and if they cross in that area for more than 5 minutes it calls your cellphone automatically to alert you to them being there.

Good invention, but I'd like to see them tack on a feature where you mark on a map areas where you wouldn't want your children to be in, and if they cross in that area for more than 5 minutes it calls your cellphone automatically to alert you to them being there.

Hmmm, yes, and if they are teenagers....shocks them lightly until they get back to a safe zone. :D

Seriously though, that's a really cool idea.

Now that's an idea, wish they'd had this when my children were at home, actually I wish they'd had cellphones!

LOL Take a picture of it! (Great idea!)

I think what you may be refering to about the wrist watch type device is through Project Lifesaver International. Wonderful thing...if your state has it! I have been trying to get the message out here for them to do this, but so far no luck. My DD said that my grand wouldn't wear a them anyway as he has sensory issues, but I think we could acclimate him to it.

This device could be an alternative for us for the time being tho. I am at least going to check into it. I will let you know about the battery etc. Since the product is not out on the market already maybe the guy addressed those issues. :)

I think what you may be refering to about the wrist watch type device is through Project Lifesaver International. Wonderful thing...if your state has it! I have been trying to get the message out here for them to do this, but so far no luck.

http://www.projectlifesaver.org/site/

Yes, that's it exactly. When you look at how much time and effort and money the program saves compared to traditional searching, there should be no discussion needed. Not to mention the lives saved and injuries prevented.

We've been using it for about 2-3 years now. The lady we deal with at S&R has mentioned numerous times about using the technology to locate Alzheimer's and Dementia patients.

My DD said that my grand wouldn't wear a them anyway as he has sensory issues, but I think we could acclimate him to it.

My son wears his on his ankle. Did they try that? If you think he could be acclimated then go for it. The peace of mind is worth it.

That's the best thing about it, the little bit of extra security it gives you. Of course it will never substitute for your personal supervision. But no one can stay aware 24/7. It's just nice to know that if something happens then there is one more option at your disposal.

Now THAT is a nice idea Paladin. I'm a pretty strict mom and we live in a really safe small town. My girls follow our rules regarding how far they can go from the house without complaint. But now that the oldest is 11, she's starting to push her boundaries and I am not comfortable. Maybe I'm just overly protective? Maybe I read too much on WS?? LOL But, seriously, children just vanish in the blink of an eye even in safe small towns. Some folks in our area are too lenient because of the small town situation, but to me you are just asking for trouble. All it takes is one outsider (or an insider for that matter) and you are grieving. I would never forgive myself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back