Council defeats sex offender ordinance

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Council defeats sex offender ordinance
April 15, 2008 10:29 pm
By Eric Parry
DERRY — An ordinance prohibiting registered sex offenders from living near schools, public parks and day-care centers failed to gain the approval of the Town Council on Tuesday night.

All seven councilors voted down the proposed ordinance after police Chief Edward Garone, child abuse experts and residents spoke against it at a public hearing.

[...]

Derry residents became alarmed in January when a registered sex offender from Connecticut moved to an apartment in town that was near a private school, a public library and a public park. Many were alarmed to learn that New Hampshire doesn't regulate where offenders can live.

The offender, Douglas A. Simmons, was sentenced to 36 years in prison and five years of probation for kidnapping 6-year-old Michele Spencer, strangling her to death, and then sexually assaulting her body before leaving it in a sewer drain in July 1981 in Norwich, Conn.

He moved to Derry and registered with local police the day after his five-year probation period was over.
Full article: click here

"There's just too many complications when you try to put this legislation together," said state Rep. Phyllis Katsakiores, R-Derry, who voiced opposition to the proposed ordinance.

Protecting the safety and welfare of children is very complicated now :bang:

I think some members of this council should be looking for new jobs right about now. FIRE THEM ALL! If they cannot even protect our kids they should not have their jobs.

I think some members of this council should be looking for new jobs right about now. FIRE THEM ALL! If they cannot even protect our kids they should not have their jobs.

It's not just members of the council - the Derry police chief, resident parents, child abuse experts and the state's House Representative all spoke against the ordinance. The council's job is to listen to its constituents.

These types of ordinances are complicated on a number of levels. Additionally, no one has a clue whether or not they protect children. I laud the council for making a sensible decision and not just passing it to curry favor with voters who get wrapped up in the emotionality of the issue.

Well I guess we know where the recently released Sex Offender populous is going to be heading- I won't be visiting!!:behindbar

They really could head anywhere where these laws are on the books - so many of them are being currently being challenged as unconstitutional that none of them have much weight until the Courts sort it all out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back