1105 users online (176 members and 929 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,108

    Shark attack in Solana Beach...

    They are saying it is a 15-25 foot shark that made the attack...

    Did anyone see the size of the Pod of dolphins that just swam up the shore?

    It had to be 200...

    They are known to take on big sharks in groups and always win...

    Shark kills man off San Diego-area beach

    A 66-year-old man was killed by a shark while swimming off the coast of Solana Beach this morning, authorities said.

    The attack happened at 7:20 a.m. near Fletcher Cove in an area known as Table Tops, said Lt. Phil Brust, a spokesman for San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

    The man was training for a sporting event with a group of swimmers about half a mile north of Fletcher Cove when he was attacked, Brust said.

    "They were swimming and the victim apparently yelled 'Shark,' or words to that effect, and the witnesses that were in the water apparently saw him actually being lifted out of the water and drug under," Brust said. "They went to his aid and dragged him onto the beach, where he succumbed to his injuries."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the Beach and in our hearts
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    They are saying it is a 15-25 foot shark that made the attack...

    Did anyone see the size of the Pod of dolphins that just swam up the shore?

    It had to be 200...

    They are known to take on big sharks in groups and always win...

    Shark kills man off San Diego-area beach
    Rocky.......I just started a thread too......I see you live in San Diego...
    I live in La Jolla and ALL my kids are surfers. Sure wish this guy had been on a surfboard...........might have had a chance!
    That shark could be on it's way to La Jolla......yikes!

    Anyhow.........one of the mods can delete my thread......no problem.

    xxxxxxxxxxoo
    mama

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    RELady lives in Solana Beach

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Mama View Post
    Rocky.......I just started a thread too......I see you live in San Diego...
    I live in La Jolla and ALL my kids are surfers. Sure wish this guy had been on a surfboard...........might have had a chance!
    That shark could be on it's way to La Jolla......yikes!

    Anyhow.........one of the mods can delete my thread......no problem.

    xxxxxxxxxxoo
    mama
    Hi Love_Mama,

    I haven't heard from you in a while...

    I found a video clip on KUSI showing the pod of dolphins that just came through...

    click on the video camera image, it's a few minutes in...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    180
    WOW...that pod is HUGE!
    KCB
    www.fishonbook.com

    www.ehow.com (search on kayceebee)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    As an aside, don't forget Solana beach is home to Jackie and Lee.

    This whole story is just crazy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,423
    I heard on the radio this evening that they are pretty sure it was a great white that killed the man......
    He was a retired veterinarian.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    839
    I saw this earlier on the news. It gave me a very uneasy feeling. My son is on the surf team at school and they are out there every morning at 6am. We are a little north of Solana Beach... but still..

    Prayers to this mans family

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    As an aside, don't forget Solana beach is home to Jackie and Lee.

    This whole story is just crazy.
    Think you could convince Jackie Peterson to go for a swim?
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Rag Doll 02 View Post
    I saw this earlier on the news. It gave me a very uneasy feeling. My son is on the surf team at school and they are out there every morning at 6am. We are a little north of Solana Beach... but still..

    Prayers to this mans family
    Ehh........the guy on Greta just now said the females come to places like San Clemente Island to give birth.

    I don't know about you, but I'm gonna call my daughter in Carlsbad and ask her to STAY OUT of the water for a week or so!

    Scary

    fran


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,108
    It's getting up to 99 on Sunday, the beaches will be packed...

    wasn't that an amazing clip of the dolphins? and it only showed a small part of them.

    They hear of an emergency on the beach and rush in to save us, maybe we should do better at returning the favor...

    Critically Endangered Porpoise May Be Doomed To Extinction

    reported in the scientific journal Conservation Biology, that the estimated population of vaquita, a porpoise found in the Gulf of California, is likely two years away from reaching such low levels that their rate to extinction will increase and possibly be irreversible. Scientists believe only about 150 vaquita remain.
    Too late for this one...

    Rare Dolphin Driven To Extinction By Human Activities

    a marine biologist at NOAA's Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, Calif., and one of the researchers on the scientific team that was working with local scientists at the invitation of the Chinese government. "This time, we detected no baiji, either visually or acoustically. This would be the first human-caused extinction of a dolphin or whale and it is particularly sad for the last member of a family of a species that is over 20 million years old."

    The baiji is one of only a few dolphin species that is known to have adapted from the ocean to a freshwater environment.
    Last edited by Rocky; 04-26-2008 at 12:43 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Ehh........the guy on Greta just now said the females come to places like San Clemente Island to give birth.

    I don't know about you, but I'm gonna call my daughter in Carlsbad and ask her to STAY OUT of the water for a week or so!

    Scary

    fran
    My San Diego sons are unable to go in the water. I still cannot believe it. The last shark attack was in the 50's.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    My San Diego sons are unable to go in the water. I still cannot believe it. The last shark attack was in the 50's.

    any reports of anyone up by you seeing the pod of dolphins come through?

    I'm curious if they went to deep water or kept running up the coast

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    My San Diego sons are unable to go in the water. I still cannot believe it. The last shark attack was in the 50's.
    I joked with my kids we were going boogy boarding tomorrow and their eyes popped out...

    most kids have seen Jaws

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    any reports of anyone up by you seeing the pod of dolphins come through?

    I'm curious if they went to deep water or kept running up the coast
    I haven't heard anything, but I'll get back to you. I forgot it was going to be so hot this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Man dies in rare fatal shark attack off Fla.
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
  2. Shark attack in teen's bedroom
    By Autumn2004 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 02:46 AM
  3. Solana Beach, CA SHARK ATTACK this morning
    By Love_Mama in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. Surfer fends off shark attack
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 08:06 AM