Shark attack in Solana Beach...

Rocky

Former Member
Reaction score
They are saying it is a 15-25 foot shark that made the attack...

Did anyone see the size of the Pod of dolphins that just swam up the shore?

It had to be 200...

They are known to take on big sharks in groups and always win...

Shark kills man off San Diego-area beach

A 66-year-old man was killed by a shark while swimming off the coast of Solana Beach this morning, authorities said.

The attack happened at 7:20 a.m. near Fletcher Cove in an area known as Table Tops, said Lt. Phil Brust, a spokesman for San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

The man was training for a sporting event with a group of swimmers about half a mile north of Fletcher Cove when he was attacked, Brust said.

"They were swimming and the victim apparently yelled 'Shark,' or words to that effect, and the witnesses that were in the water apparently saw him actually being lifted out of the water and drug under," Brust said. "They went to his aid and dragged him onto the beach, where he succumbed to his injuries."

They are saying it is a 15-25 foot shark that made the attack...

Did anyone see the size of the Pod of dolphins that just swam up the shore?

It had to be 200...

They are known to take on big sharks in groups and always win...

Shark kills man off San Diego-area beach

Rocky.......I just started a thread too......I see you live in San Diego...
I live in La Jolla and ALL my kids are surfers. Sure wish this guy had been on a surfboard...........might have had a chance!
That shark could be on it's way to La Jolla......yikes!

Anyhow.........one of the mods can delete my thread......no problem.

xxxxxxxxxxoo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

RELady lives in Solana Beach

Rocky.......I just started a thread too......I see you live in San Diego...
I live in La Jolla and ALL my kids are surfers. Sure wish this guy had been on a surfboard...........might have had a chance!
That shark could be on it's way to La Jolla......yikes!

Anyhow.........one of the mods can delete my thread......no problem.

xxxxxxxxxxoo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Hi Love_Mama,

I haven't heard from you in a while...

I found a video clip on KUSI showing the pod of dolphins that just came through...

click on the video camera image, it's a few minutes in...

As an aside, don't forget Solana beach is home to Jackie and Lee.:)

This whole story is just crazy.

I heard on the radio this evening that they are pretty sure it was a great white that killed the man......:chicken: :eek:
He was a retired veterinarian.

I saw this earlier on the news. It gave me a very uneasy feeling. My son is on the surf team at school and they are out there every morning at 6am. We are a little north of Solana Beach... but still..

Prayers to this mans family

As an aside, don't forget Solana beach is home to Jackie and Lee.:)

This whole story is just crazy.

Think you could convince Jackie Peterson to go for a swim?

I saw this earlier on the news. It gave me a very uneasy feeling. My son is on the surf team at school and they are out there every morning at 6am. We are a little north of Solana Beach... but still..

Prayers to this mans family

Ehh........the guy on Greta just now said the females come to places like San Clemente Island to give birth.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna call my daughter in Carlsbad and ask her to STAY OUT of the water for a week or so!

Scary :eek:

fran

It's getting up to 99 on Sunday, the beaches will be packed...

wasn't that an amazing clip of the dolphins? and it only showed a small part of them.

They hear of an emergency on the beach and rush in to save us, maybe we should do better at returning the favor...

Critically Endangered Porpoise May Be Doomed To Extinction

reported in the scientific journal Conservation Biology, that the estimated population of vaquita, a porpoise found in the Gulf of California, is likely two years away from reaching such low levels that their rate to extinction will increase and possibly be irreversible. Scientists believe only about 150 vaquita remain.

Too late for this one...

Rare Dolphin Driven To Extinction By Human Activities

a marine biologist at NOAA's Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, Calif., and one of the researchers on the scientific team that was working with local scientists at the invitation of the Chinese government. "This time, we detected no baiji, either visually or acoustically. This would be the first human-caused extinction of a dolphin or whale and it is particularly sad for the last member of a family of a species that is over 20 million years old."

The baiji is one of only a few dolphin species that is known to have adapted from the ocean to a freshwater environment.

Ehh........the guy on Greta just now said the females come to places like San Clemente Island to give birth.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna call my daughter in Carlsbad and ask her to STAY OUT of the water for a week or so!

Scary :eek:

fran
My San Diego sons are unable to go in the water. I still cannot believe it. The last shark attack was in the 50's.

My San Diego sons are unable to go in the water. I still cannot believe it. The last shark attack was in the 50's.

any reports of anyone up by you seeing the pod of dolphins come through?

I'm curious if they went to deep water or kept running up the coast

I joked with my kids we were going boogy boarding tomorrow and their eyes popped out... :eek::eek:

most kids have seen Jaws

I haven't heard anything, but I'll get back to you. I forgot it was going to be so hot this weekend.

I just asked my son if he saw any dolphins today. He said that he did. Dont know if it was the same pod or not

Wow! Those dolphins were unbelievable. There was a shark attack last year at Monteray Beach. How far apart is that from this one? My brother and sister in law were there on vacation and I told them about it. My sister in law thanked me for giving her a reason not to put her bathing suit on.

Seriously I am terrified of sharks and never get in the water for any reason! I keep track of all the shark attacks that are reported. :eek:

Wow! Those dolphins were unbelievable. There was a shark attack last year at Monteray Beach. How far apart is that from this one? My brother and sister in law were there on vacation and I told them about it. My sister in law thanked me for giving her a reason not to put her bathing suit on.

Seriously I am terrified of sharks and never get in the water for any reason! I keep track of all the shark attacks that are reported. :eek:

Monterrey is in Northern California. Solona Beach is Southern California, just above San Diego by about twenty minutes. I'd say there's more than 400 miles between them. The Pacific Coast is as big as the Atlantic Coast. Northern CA is also a breeding ground for sharks. I won't swim in the Ocean, maybe wade upto my ankles, that's it.

Josie's trip to dog beach in Huntington has been canceled for the weekend :(

Oooooh, my daughter just turned down a job at a surfing school. Whew, I am glad she did.

Did someone post the link to the dolphins? I didn't see it on the news, was it on one of these posts? I didn't know that they would do that and I would love to see it if there is a link.

It is so hot here in SD, of course everyone is headed for the beach. This was a very rare occurance, but still...just when you think it is safe to go into the water...

My condolences to David Martin's family. Life is so fragile, we can never take it for granted. Very sad that he started out the day doing what was his passion, and then he was attacked. He had the presence of mind to yell "shark" for his fellow swimmers; that is an amazing human being.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back