1034 users online (215 members and 819 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,236

    IN - Amish Father Charged with Incest, Child Molestation

    Fort Wayne, Indiana

    "The Adams County prosecutor today filed "incest and molestation charges" against 55-year-old Andy Eicher of Berne. Police arrested the Amish man late Friday afternoon, on five felony counts. "

    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...?video=YHI&t=a

    A 16 year old, one of Eicher's 10 daughters, confessed to a neighbor that her father had molested her since age 5 and she "couldn't take it anymore". The neighbor confronted the child's mother who said his actions were sinful compared with drinking a beer or not wearing a bonnet while riding in a buggy!

    Two more daughter's have come forward to say they are also victims of molestation by their father. The neighbor, Cherie Dailey, reported the molestation to police in November but Eicher was not charged until April 25. Dailey said "It {molestation} is so rampant in the Amish community and someone needs to break the cycle and bring it out and hold people accountable so these girls will not be ashamed."

    Child Protection Services is working with the family.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Isolation from society. This is such a sin for these girls. In cases like these if their own sect even decides on punishment they throw like a months worth of shunning tops. I think they call it Meidung when they shun you. Then the victim is the person gets all the mistreatment. That had to be an incredibly painful thing for this poor girl to do. I'm not certain of the age for their Rumspringa for when they can go out and basically sow their oats, but I so wonder if this girl told during this period. Maybe trusting that LE would take care of that old man. It does sound bonkers that the mother of this poor kid likens incest of children to drinking a beer, but she probably believes this. Men run the show and man you better not go against them. There's alot of genetic disorders in Amish communites. People wonder why?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    In cases like these if their own sect even decides on punishment they throw like a months worth of shunning tops. I think they call it Meidung when they shun you.
    I think the shunning and such only applies when someone breaks the sect's rules. If they break the law they end up in court like anyone else. Unfortunately in such closed communities inbreeding is inevitable and that may explain the rise in violent crime within the Amish and similar groups. I remember reading a magazine article that mentioned that the Elders or whatever they call their leaders were considering imposing a rule that Amish from Pennsylvania wishing to marry within the sect could only marry Amish from other groups located in a western state (Montana?) or Canada, this to lessen the risk of genetic defects. But since all three communities descend from the same few original families I don't think this would have much of an effect. Well, I guess marrying your second cousin is better than marrying your first cousin, but still.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    I think the shunning and such only applies when someone breaks the sect's rules. If they break the law they end up in court like anyone else. Unfortunately in such closed communities inbreeding is inevitable and that may explain the rise in violent crime within the Amish and similar groups. I remember reading a magazine article that mentioned that the Elders or whatever they call their leaders were considering imposing a rule that Amish from Pennsylvania wishing to marry within the sect could only marry Amish from other groups located in a western state (Montana?) or Canada, this to lessen the risk of genetic defects. But since all three communities descend from the same few original families I don't think this would have much of an effect. Well, I guess marrying your second cousin is better than marrying your first cousin, but still.


    There is no central leadership in the Amish or Mennonite communities. Each congregation has its own leadership that decides the "rules" for that little community. So there is no "national" Amish leadership that has the authority to regulate marriage outside of the local congregation.

    Unfortunately, rumors and allegations of child abuse have been rampant regarding the Amish for a long time. There are people who also feel that their 18th-century customs for managing their animals are cruel. I have mixed feelings about this.

    The Amish have been granted blanket exemptions from educational requirements and vaccination requirements, with the result that the kids are rarely able to talk freely with someone outside the community. I know quite a few people who deal with the Amish on daily basis. They are admired for their quiet strength, but they can be extremely obnoxious as well. Kind of like most other humans.

    While I'm sure that the vast majority of Amish are kind, there are bad apples in every group and the isolation makes it easier to avoid detection.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on top of shale bedrock
    Posts
    1,586
    We have a large Amish community close by and I prefer them to do repairs on our equipment and home. They are so hardworking and knowledgeable and do it immediately.
    They also have heartbreaking illnesses that are rampant, lots of Leukemia, organ failure. I know much of it is genetic and the deaths of children occurs in nearly every family.
    My relatives live among the Amish homes and were not aware of the molestation issues. That was a sad article to read.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne.../18223154.html

    Nicole Pence: “The young girl came to you in October... You (Dailey) told police in November... And they arrested him in April. Satisfied?”

    Cherie Dailey/Neighbor of Amish Family: "No I am not satisfied. This took entirely too long. They treated this case different. If it hadn't been an Amish person."

    Eicher's being held on a 20-thousand dollar bond. The Adams County Sheriff says Andy Eicher evoked his religious right not to be photographed for a mug shot, at this time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Maybe soon someone will go in with trucks and guns and CPS workers and take all their children into protective state custody.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on top of shale bedrock
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Maybe soon someone will go in with trucks and guns and CPS workers and take all their children into protective state custody.
    I've heard the Amish are weathering the economic crisis very well, that there is more wealth in Amish hands than any other group. They are investing in alternative power like solar arrays and geothermal and way ahead of the general population in this respect, too.
    They don't live in compounds like that and it would be difficult to go to all the farmsteads in this country and round em up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Maybe soon someone will go in with trucks and guns and CPS workers and take all their children into protective state custody.
    Come on SCM they don't have plural marriages the Amish. They don't marry their daughters they just sexually abuse them. I shouldn't say that as it's obviously not all Amish men that commit incest or sexually abuse children. A while back a paper up in Lancaster, PA had a continuing series of stories about the abuse in the Amish community. I'll have to look for it. It was called something like "Silent Shame". It was interesting.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Come on SCM they don't have plural marriages the Amish. They don't marry their daughters they just sexually abuse them. I shouldn't say that as it's obviously not all Amish men that commit incest or sexually abuse children. A while back a paper up in Lancaster, PA had a continuing series of stories about the abuse in the Amish community. I'll have to look for it. It was called something like "Silent Shame". It was interesting.
    The FLDS weren't invaded and split up because of plural marriage. The Amish have been accused for years of the type of stuff the FDLS is getting trotted out for.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    The FLDS weren't invaded and split up because of plural marriage. The Amish have been accused for years of the type of stuff the FDLS is getting trotted out for.
    SCM, I was being facitious. However ya spell that. That's what happens in typing. I'm aware of all the accusations against the Amish. I lived in Lancaster for a time. Admittedly I don't know anything about FLDS. I mean I know that was not the reason that went down. The plural marriages. I'll find that series the paper did in Lancaster about the abuse against kids in the Amish community.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    SCM, I was being facitious. However ya spell that. That's what happens in typing. I'm aware of all the accusations against the Amish. I lived in Lancaster for a time. Admittedly I don't know anything about FLDS. I mean I know that was not the reason that went down. The plural marriages. I'll find that series the paper did in Lancaster about the abuse against kids in the Amish community.
    I didn't catch that - we really do need a tongue-in-cheek icon here!!

  14. #14
    Are there statistics somewhere offering evidence that more Amish and Mennonite engage in incest than those of other denominations?

    I live in an Amish/Mennonite neighborhood and consider some good friends.

    AS far as incest, unfortunately, being a certain religion doesn't keep all evil out. The kids I know sure seem healthy and happy. I haven't seen any pregnant 13 or 14 yr.-olds.

    I admit i am prejudiced. Amish and Mennonites are great neighbors.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,236
    i think filly zeroed in on the difficulty and that' s isolation.

    one thing's for sure... there are no amish kids surfing the net tonight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GA - Man charged with child molestation after asking about girl's panties
    By belimom in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM