Hiding in plain website

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Hiding in plain website
TIMOTHY APPLEBY
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

Killers from Columbine to Dawson College have broadcast their intentions online long before going on their murderous rampages. One criminologist thinks mass school shootings can be averted with cyberspace sleuthing
Full article: click here

Great article, Shadowraiths! I start searching cyberspace immediately when I hear about a school or college shooting.

I think the cost of locating these potential killers would be prohibitive. I also think it would be hard to do anything to these people, once identified, for their mere words on the net. Maybe schools should take a look at what they could do...but I personally would rather the government spend money trying to catch pedophiles and child *advertiser censored* rings, etc. I think there are many more victims there.

IMO

Maybe we should start sleuthing before they happen during the course of our normal sleuthing. :) Say set aside an hour here n there to do nothing but look for teenage degenerates online at myspace and facebook sites?

But, then what, SS? Write to them and see if they are serious? I think that would be cool if it would actually stop something from happening....

We could at least alert someone to them so they can then monitor them. How many times have we seen kids toting guns on these sites? I didn't turn em in...but maybe I should have.

I often think of that photo of Shawn Hornbeck with a gun. If someone had alerted to his site...would he have been found sooner?

I have been on myspace recently checking out what some of the myspace accounts look like for local school children. I've been debating with myself if I should go through them one-by-one and see if there are any danger signs. I would send the info to the school, I think. I haven't thought it all out yet.... Hopefully I wouldn't find anything, but you never know.

It's pretty easy to do on myspace. You can go to "Find your school" and pick the city/state you want. You can choose the name of a specific school, or view the list of all the schools in that city.

Originally I was just making sure the bullies at my dd and ds's school hadn't started cyber-bullying. After the Success Tech Academy shooting here, I thought about going school to school just to check for other possible problems.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back