Thread: Teen arrested after 4 family members found dead at SC home

Teen arrested after 4 family members found dead at SC home

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5733576.html

EASLEY, S.C. — An 18-year-old man gunned down his father, stepmother and two siblings at the home they shared in suburban South Carolina, authorities said Saturday.
    Nathaniel Dickson, 18, was arrested 8:30 p.m. Saturday at a home in Belton about 20 miles from where the bodies of his family members were found, Anderson County Sheriff's spokeswoman Susann Griffin said. He was charged with four counts of murder.
    Less than 12 hours earlier, a 911 call led paramedics to find the father dead in the yard. Inside the home they found the other three victims, all shot to death.
    The youngest victim, Dickson's 14-year-old brother, was apparently trying to hide behind a clothes dryer when he slain, authorities said.

The coroner's office identified the victims as Dickson's 46-year-old father, Samuel Andrew Dickson Jr.; his 46-year-old stepmother, Martiza Hurtado Dickson; his 19-year-old stepsister, Melissa Giliam Salazar; and his 14-year-old brother, Taylor Alex Dickson.

Neighbor Melissa Funk said Nathaniel Dickson moved out of his family's home after graduating from high school last year, but had moved back in the past few weeks. She said the teen played video games with her 16-year-old son and never appeared to cause any problems.

Authorities were called to the scene at about 9:30 a.m. by a 911 caller who reported someone had possibly fallen from a car.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24332263/

This is so sad. Easley is a tiny little town. I am sure they are reeling from this. Prayers for the family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    This is so sad. Easley is a tiny little town. I am sure they are reeling from this. Prayers for the family and friends.
    That is how I remembered it, although I haven't been there since 94. I remember it was tiny and the folks there LOVED their high school football. What a horrible tragedy.

more info:

Son to be charged in deaths of four family members in Easley

http://www.independentmail.com/news/...mocide-easley/

Oh God, another kid killing his family?
    This is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura View Post
    Oh God, another kid killing his family?
    This is horrible.
    Lord ... indeed, PFM. Shawn Bentley, Chris Porco - that young couple who mowed down her parents and little brother/sister more recently (name escapes me right now)... and those just came to mind now - the list is just getting toooo long.

Absolutely tragic. How shocking & devastating for this family - thoughts, prayers and strength to all.

Guns, money, selfishness and drugs usually always go hand in hand. One wonders if these are underlying causes. It's too horrific to keep learning of these shocking stories. When oh when will the authorities clamp down on guns? Seems no person/family, with a gun in their personal vicinity, are safe or may say "won't happen to us". Lord! Senseless...

PSA, it's really sad when I almost skip a thread because I think it's the "other" story about a teen killing off his entire family. This is just happening more and more, it seems. I am having a hard time thinking of their last moments, especially Taylors...hiding behind the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    This is just happening more and more
    Taxi, ITA. I just tried to find some sort of statistic ... and came up with this link, dated 2007:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/family.htm

Brothers are more likely than sisters to kill a sibling

Older teen and young adult males are most often the perpetrator in killings of brothers. Males who kill their sisters tend to be younger than males who kill their brothers.
    Sisters rarely kill their siblings.
    We know more have happened (or rather ... that the media have highlighted) since then. But these stats are basically: shocking! Maybe schools, youth clubs, sporting groups, etc, should ensure counselors address this regularly... you never know: early words of wisdom and encouragement may deter later catastrophes. Even years later. By obliterating their loved ones, they more or less end their own life. There ARE solutions. My God, every time I read about these events, Taxi, I buckle inside just imagining if it were my family / loved ones. I can't even "go there".

Sooner or later shock, sorrow and empathy will turn to anger; simply because it is no longer rare. Take a look, hon....

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    PSA, it's really sad when I almost skip a thread because I think it's the "other" story about a teen killing off his entire family. This is just happening more and more, it seems. I am having a hard time thinking of their last moments, especially Taylors...hiding behind the dryer.
    Oh Taximom, it just broke my heart, the thought of this young boy's terror as he was trying to hide. The whole story is horrible. but it was so awful visualizing that.

additional info:

SC teen charged with killing family recently moved back home

By JEFFREY COLLINS 4 hours ago
    EASLEY, S.C. (AP) A teenager who had recently moved back home after breaking up with his live-in girlfriend is accused of gunning down and killing four family members, stunning friends and neighbors.
    Nathaniel Dickson, 18, was arrested Saturday night at a home in Belton about 20 miles from where the bodies of his father, stepmother, stepsister and younger brother were found, authorities said.
    Those who knew Dickson grappled with how the quiet teen who loved video games and sports now was charged with four counts of murder.
    "I can't put my finger on what happened," said Melissa Funk, whose 16-year-old son, Robbie, was good friends with both the suspect and the youngest victim. "It's not what I've known him to be."
    Authorities would not discuss a possible motive.
    "I'm going to have this case tried in the courtroom, not out on the streets," Anderson County Sheriff David Crenshaw said Sunday.
    The suspect's mother, Patricia Dickson, screamed and cried as he appeared before a county magistrate on a closed-circuit television for a brief hearing Sunday night, the Anderson Independent-Mail reported.
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...11lKQD90AJ5HO0

I have avoided this thread. It is just heartbreaking. I cannot imagine what was going on in his head when he killed his family.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Last edited by southcitymom; 09-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

Incredible. He doesn't even know why he did it. He just happened to find a shotgun lying around and decided to kill his family. Beyond belief...

I'm glad he'll be locked away for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    Incredible. He doesn't even know why he did it. He just happened to find a shotgun lying around and decided to kill his family. Beyond belief...

I don't know if we (or even he) will ever know why he snapped.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post

I don't believe him for one second. He uses this as his crutch so he doesn't have to explain why he did such a horrible depraved thing to his entire family.

That gun had probably been in that home for years, since it was a shotgun, most likely used for hunting game. He had full intentions when he picked up that shotgun to murder everyone in his home as he picked them off one by one and the terror they must have felt seeing him there had to be unimaginable horror and fear.

If the truth be known, that he wants to keep secret, it was for a foolish nonsensical reason. These family murderers seem to have hair triggers when it comes to anger. He may have gone into a rage if his father told him he needed to find a job, take on some responsibility or if they told him he had to grow up and make it on his own. Just a normal conversation that other parents say when having to interact with their children.

Imo, he thought he could eradicate all of his problems with a loaded shotgun. Kill them all and he would get everything and he would get the house and there would be no one there telling him what he could or couldn't do.

I dont think he snapped. I think he finally carried out what he had wanted to do all along.

I am certainly glad to see he is gone from society for good.

imo
    Last edited by oceanblueeyes; 09-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

21. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Oh i totally agree OceanBlueEyes. He went and used the debit card, got a chicken biscuit but wait for it! all of a sudden he was to sick to eat. Hmm wonder why, because you JUST killed your whole family with a shot gun, really? wow, then went riding 4 wheelers. Just disgusting.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

Quote Originally Posted by Angels_Not_Forgotten View Post
    Oh i totally agree OceanBlueEyes. He went and used the debit card, got a chicken biscuit but wait for it! all of a sudden he was to sick to eat. Hmm wonder why, because you JUST killed your whole family with a shot gun, really? wow, then went riding 4 wheelers. Just disgusting.
    Someone has to be made of stone cold granite to even think of food after they had just murdered their entire family and with a shotgun, no less, which leaves the victims horribly disfigured.

This guy has no conscience. He doesn't tell because he is protecting himself, the only one he cares about.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina