GUILTY AR - Randall Walker, 47, found murdered, Garfield, 30 Aug 2007

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0427081arkansas1.html
APRIL 27--Meet Broderick Laswell. Since his arrest last September on a murder charge, the Arkansas man, 19, has been locked up in the Benton County jail, where he has shed 105 of his original 413 pounds. While most people suffering from obesity would probably welcome such a weight loss, Laswell has made a federal case out of it. Claiming that he is "literally being starved to death," the 6', 308-pound Laswell Friday filed a lawsuit charging that his civil rights have been violated by jailers. According to the U.S. District Court complaint, an excerpt of which you'll find here, Laswell contends that he is being provided with so few calories that, about an hour after every meal, "my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again." This purported "lack of nutrition," Laswell claims, is reflected in miniscule biscuits and cake sizes, the small amount of chips accompanying sandwiches, and the occasional provision of "2 small cookies." And just in case anyone thought he was only concerned about junk food, the accused killer also complains about the "drizzle of dressing" placed on his "small side of lettuce."
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0427081arkansas1.html

I'll bet that prison could make a fortune off this wonder diet. I don't see how improving his health is grounds for a lawsuit. LOL. HE FEELS HUNGRY...oh nooo...will he sue when he feels lonely, or his feelings are hurt? sheesh!

Wait...I can sit in a cell, be served, like room service nutritious meals and not have to do dishes.........go to the prison gym....and loose weight! Where do I sign up?:crazy:

I don't see a problem with this. Not offending anybody but if you're over 400 lbs, of course you're going to lose weight when you're locked up and can't eat everything you want all the time. He probably does feel hungry, he isn't used to portion control.

There are hungry and starving people all over the world. Their only 'crime' is not having enough money or food to eat. I don't feel bad for him at all. It's his own fault he's locked up and can't eat anything/everything around the clock. Why should he make out better than everyone else...boohoo, I can't OVEReat. He doesn't know what unfair is...

hmmmm.....
If they have free wifi in prison along with this great diet plan... SIGN ME UP!
Take me away! I did it! :woohoo:

I read they serve a 3000 calorie diet per day----

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

Let's see....

He murdered somone and got incarcerated. While there, he succesfully lost 105 pounds? And he is unhappy?

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope...:)

hmmm maybe he should have thought about the consequences before he killed someone? If you can't do the time don't do the crime!
The jail I work at serves a 2,000 calorie diet plus they can buy food items also to have in their cell, all kinds of junk food etc.
It's funny, when the druggies are locked up they;re skinny from their lifestyle, when it's time to be released their street clothes no longer fit because they've gained weight!

VB

At first I thought this was my best friends brother. He is in prison in Texas and weighed 400lbs also when he got arrested. He is down to 300lbs now and all he does is complain in his letters to her. She then calls me crying because her poor baby bro. is hungry and treated like an ''animal'' she says because they only get to wash their sheets once every six months and shower once every three days. We argue over this all the time. I always tell her well he should be happy he has shelter and food considering he didn't give that option to the man he beat with a baseball bat and stuck in the trunk of the car that he then drove into the river and left the man there to die...:rolleyes: Sorry no sympathy from me.

No sympathy here either. I think those prison/jail inmates get away with far too many luxuries. And these luxuries are not free, it costs us the taxpayers. So not only do they reap havoc in others lives, they're taking money out of our pockets too. The only thing they should have access to in prison/jail is 3 meals a day, a prison/jail jumpsuit and slippers (and of course the neccesary toiletrie), and a library room (instead of a TV room) with tons of reading material that has been filtered such as old college books, fiction/nonfiction reading materials, how to magazines, etc. And another thing, when they step into a prison/jail, they lose all priveledges. They should have nothing but the basics. Hey, I would love to lay around 24/7 and eat, sleep, watch TV, clean up for a few minutes. But we know life is not like that, not supposed to be like that. My friend works in a jail and when asked what he does, he says he's a babysitter. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few that may be wrongly accused or the likes, bless them, but the ones you see all the time!!! murderers, rapist, thugs, gang bangers, we're they're mommys and daddys and the prison/jail systems are the daycare/nighcare providers. It's a shame. And the nerve to try to file lawsuits against the very hands that feed/care for them.

The ridiculous thing is he may win his law suit — someone other than the lawyer advocating for him out there will believe his human rights are being breached. oh yes they will. :rolleyes:

i only wish he could just be fed scraps every now and then from the garbage. . :furious: :furious: :furious:

If he keeps losing weight like he's doing, jail will have probably saved his life!

Fox News has a video of this on their website but I don't know how to link a video.

Oh jeez, he really expects taxpayers to foot the bill for him keep up his pre-incarceration binge eating? :rolleyes: What next? Smokers need to be provided with their cigarettes and alcoholics with their alcohol while in jail. This is ridiculous he is losing weight because he is being forced back down to a reasonable set of calories beasue he no longer has the freedom to go to the fridge or drive through every hour. That is part of being in jail!

Can you imagine if jails had to serve enough calories to keep this guy's stomach satisified? I can only imagine how many lawsuits would come from family members blaming the jails for "killing" their loved ones after they were served 6,000 plus calories (or however many it would take to keep him happy) a day when the justice system knows that is unhealthy and can lead to many permanent health problems and death. It would not be right for them to serve that many calories to any inmate.

This is disgusting. This creep murders someone, then complains about not being able to maintain his 400 lb weight in prison. Poor baby. :boohoo:

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/apr/27/murder-case-defendant-complains-about-jail-diet-re/

you gotta love this!

In Bentonville Arkansas murder defendant Broderick Lloyd Laswell has lost 105 pounds over the past eight months and is down to 308 pounds.
Laswell has filed a federal court suit complaining about the diet he’s been fed by the county. He weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed for a fatally beating and stabbing then setting the victim's his trailer home on fire to erase evidence.

He claims the jail doesn’t provide inmates with enough food, he is hungry, stomach growls, weak and blurry vision. Laswell claims he’s lost about a half-pound a day. “The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death.”

Laswell’s suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals to its inmates. The jail has served only cold food for years. The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, according to Jail Capt. Hunter Petray.

There's nothing like Southern home cooking. Seems this young man should have steered clear of the law so he could continue pigging out at Ma's house!

broderick-lloyd-laswell.jpg
broderick-lloyd-laswell.jpg

He should be thankful they are helping him on a diet. Prisoners rights :rolleyes: I wish I could say what I wanted to about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back