Deceased/Not Found VT - Iris Brown, 27, Burlington, 15 March 1976 *W. Posey guilty*

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
The Burlington Police Department is going announce tuesday morning what happened to Iris.
Iris was 27-years-old when she went missing from her Burlington apartment in 1976.
William J. Posey was convicted of her kidnapping and has admitted that he killed her.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/NEWS/80428034

Also on this link;
http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8239731
Vermontn03 will be updating this tuesday morning after the press release. Once a trial begins, it will be moved to the trials forum.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080429/NEWS01/804290319/1009/NEWS05

Police solve kidnapping from 1976

Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Iris Brown
By Sam Hemingway
Free Press Staff Writer

Burlington police will announce this morning they know what happened to Iris Brown, a 27-year-old suspected homicide victim who went missing from her apartment in 1976 and was never seen again.

Police Chief Michael Schirling confirmed Monday that William J. Posey, the man convicted of kidnapping Brown, has admitted he later killed her. Schirling declined to disclose further details pending an 11 a.m. news conference at the Burlington Police Department's headquarters.

Alleged Killer Confesses to 1976 Murder

Burlington, Vermont - April 29, 2008
Burlington Police have solved a murder case that dates back to 1976. The big break came when the alleged killer confessed.
Iris Brown, 28, was last seen leaving an apartment in Burlington in March of 1976 with a man named William Posey. Police say Posey had convinced Brown that the two were headed to Connecticut to visit a friend, but once he got her inside the car, she quickly learned that he was actually trying to get her to be part of a drug deal-- selling cocaine-- and they weren't headed to Connecticut.

Here is the link to the article.

Here is the video link to 2 videos
http://www.wcax.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2432802&h1=Alleged%20Killer%20Confesses%20to%201976%20Murder&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=100967&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=45260890

I just arrived home a short time ago and vermontn03 wanted me to post a photo of Iris. I brought home our local newspaper and took photos of it. So it took awhile to do all of that.
Here is a photo of Iris from the Burlington Free Press;
9c085059.jpg

a22e67b4.jpg

Information NOT in the Burlington Free Press;
According to the family, Iris was 28-years-old when she was last seen with Posey. Iris disappeared on March 15, 1976.
Posey was arrested in Dallas, Texas and he had told the police there that his name was James Thomas Scorpione.
The woman that he pleaded guilty to murdering after his kidnapping charge for Iris is Judith Ann Bishop, she was 37-years-old.
The parents of Iris are Abraham and Jean Brown. They are in Florida and Abraham will turn 90 tomorrow.
Iris has a sister, Roslyn who lives in Enosburg, Vermont. Iris used to live in Enosburg prior to moving to Burlington.
Posey stated that he choked her in Shelburne, Vermont when she refused to be a drug dealer for him. Posey states that he buried her on Interstate 89 here.

Sorry for the blurry photos, but I wanted to get them up here and my camera is not that great for close ups.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

:blowkiss: Dearest dark_shadows,
thank you for posting the pictures from the paper and for this thread.

Respect Always

Alleged Killer Confesses to 1976 Murder

Burlington, Vermont - April 29, 2008
March 15, 1976.
Iris Brown, 28, leaves her Burlington apartment with a man named William Posey after Posey convinces her the two are on their way to a Connecticut prison to visit a mutual friend. After a brief stop at a Waterbury gas station-- Brown is never seen again.

8239731_BG1.jpg

Iris Brown
8239731_BG2.jpg

8239731_BG3.jpg

8239731_BG4.jpg

William Posey

8239731_BG5.jpg

Roslyn Brown

Here is the link

:blowkiss: Dearest dark_shadows,
thank you for posting the pictures from the paper and for this thread.

Respect Always
My dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:
It is always an honor to see you. Thank-you my friend.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

The Brown's are 4th cousins of mine. We have not had contact with the family since the early seventies. I am from New Jersey. I was reading news stories on the web when I came across the article about Iris. I am hoping that if anybody knows Roslyn personally you would please give her my email Kerr759@comcast.net. My father who is her father Abe's second cousin is still alive and we were so relieved for the family although it is still such a sad story. My memories of the Brown's are mainly of her younger brothers Lewis and David?

The Brown's are 4th cousins of mine. We have not had contact with the family since the early seventies. I am from New Jersey. I was reading news stories on the web when I came across the article about Iris. I am hoping that if anybody knows Roslyn personally you would please give her my email Kerr759@comcast.net. My father who is her father Abe's second cousin is still alive and we were so relieved for the family although it is still such a sad story. My memories of the Brown's are mainly of her younger brothers Lewis and David?

Dear Levenstein,
I do not know them personally, but I have a friend that does, she will pass your email along. This friend used to go to A. Brown Auto in st. albans, VT.

Iris Leslie Brown
Missing since March 15, 1976 from Burlington, Vermont
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 26, 1948
Age at Time of Disappearance: 27 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 127 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; hazel eyes.
Clothing: A long green wool coat and blue jeans.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Iris Brown was last seen leaving her apartment in Burlington on March 15, 1976 with William Posey. Posey had recently been released from a federal penitentiary in Danbury, Conn., where Brown's boyfriend, Martin Gold, was also incarcerated. Brown agreed to go with Posey and left with him later thate same day day.

William Posey was convicted of kidnapping Brown in 1981, but not murder, since Brown's body hadn't been found, and was sentenced to life in prison. According to witnesses and police reports at the time, Posey arrived at Brown's apartment that day and told her he had just received a telegram from Gold saying that Gold was being released early from prison and wanted Posey to drive her to Connecticut to meet Gold. Posey offered conflicting stories about where he and Brown supposedly parted ways.

Although blood believed to be Brown’s was found in Posey’s car after her disappearance, police had no proof of what happened to her, or where her body might be.

Posey confessed to the killing in April 2008. Posey, who initially claimed to have driven Brown to Springfield, Massachusetts, now maintains he never left Vermont, and may not have driven much beyond Barre, the last place he was seen the night Brown disappeared.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Burlington Police Department
Detective Lt. Emmit Helrich
802-658-2700

Source Information:
Burlington Free Press
CNN
WCAX
The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 2578DFVT

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2578dfvt.html

This is Iris's obituary from the newspaper today;

Here is the link;

http://miva.burlingtonfreepress.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?obitsearch2.mv

1.06/22/2008

IRIS L. BROWN BURLINGTO N — Iris Brown went missing on March 15, 1976. Her death on that day was recently confirmed. Born May 26, 1948, in Burlington, Iris was the daughter of Abraham and Jean Brown. She grew up in Enosburg Falls and graduated from Enosburg Falls High School in 1966, and from the University of Vermont in 1971. At the time of her death, she lived in Burlington and was working in the family business. Survivors include her parents,

More at link.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Wow, thanks for the information, dark_shadows. For many years I grew up in Vermont (spent my childhood in Enosburg Falls, and later moved to Burlington to attend college.) I wasn't even born yet when Iris went missing, and all the years I lived in Vermont I heard nothng of this case. I live in Manhattan now, but my mother and stepfather still live in Enosburg Falls (population 2,000) and I know my mother is at least an acquaintance of Roslyn; on visits or phone calls to my mother I've heard Roslyn's name mentioned in passing. I'm really surprised this case didn't receive more local publicity throughout the years, especially considering it was unsolved until recently.

Vermont is a beautiful state: beautiful green mountains, and farms that have been in families for generations (unfortunately, those farms are disappearing at faster and faster rates, and subdivisions and mini-malls are taking their place.) And not that this has anything to do with this particular case, but there has been an influx of drug and gang behavior in Vermont in the past 5-10 years. Criminals from cities in the Northeast are moving up to Vermont because they see it as "virgin" territory, and an open drug market, especially since several parts of Vermont are right on the borders of other states (I know White River Junction, which borders New Hampshire, has had some big problems with drugs over the past few years.)

All of this is just my opinion. I'm glad Iris's family can finally begin the grieving process, although I don't think any family would ever recover from such a tragedy.

The Burlington Police Department is going announce tuesday morning what happened to Iris.
Iris was 27-years-old when she went missing from her Burlington apartment in 1976.
William J. Posey was convicted of her kidnapping and has admitted that he killed her.

William J. Posey is the man I suspect kidnapped and murdered Judy Martin (see thread here on WS) from Kent State University. I know he recently divulged the location of Iris Brown's body, because he is terminally ill and apparently wanted to come clean. Hoping that he might come clean about Judy Martins' disappearance, I wrote to Mr. Posey and asked him to confess if he had anything to do with it. Unfortunately, he has not replied.

There are several women who went missing in New England in the 1970s, and I wonder just what hand Mr. Posey may have had in those cases. It appears his method was to kidnap women, murder them, then dump their bodies in such remote locations that they have never been found.

These photo's which resemble Iris Brown were found by police in convicted serial killer Rodney Alcala's storage unit. If they are her then how is William Posey responsible for her murder?

Attachments

• kzdvbf-kzdvaw0090.jpg
    kzdvbf-kzdvaw0090.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 14
  • photo-59.jpg
    photo-59.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 12

Members online

Online statistics