Exactly how safe is it in your courthouse??

bakerprune64

Former Member
Reaction score
Just when I thought the latest in technology would make a safer place for our courthouse and it workers/patrons, this happens...

EXCLUSIVE: Robert Gerald Eaton shot to death at Merced County Superior Courthouse...

The man shot dead in a Merced County Superior Courthouse courtroom Monday afternoon has been identified as Robert Eaton, 40, of Atwater. Eaton is the same man who crashed his car into the courthouse in April 2007, saying he was angry that he had been refused treatment by a local mental health facility.
Witnesses said Eaton walked through security at the courthouse carrying two large knives. He was shot dead by a sheriff's deputy inside Courtroom 2 at about 2:45 p.m., deputies said.
Witnesses say Eaton ran down the hall in the courthouse carrying a long knife in each hand.
"He didn't say anything," said witness Dartagnan Hutcherson, who was in Courtroom 2. "He just came in. He was out of breath."

More at link : http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/242781.html

I was told by one of our courthouse staff that the guards at the door don't even carry guns, only tasers. How effective could they have been?

I had to go to a child support hearing against my grandkids' parents. I had to sit in a tiny court room with inmates being brought over from the jail, and was even left in the room totally alone with the parents who could have been angry and attacked me for all they knew. One stupid security guard guy. I didn't feel safe at all in my courthouse.

You can't get into my courthouse without going through a scanner. It is quite sensitive - my jewelry usually sets it off and I have to get scanned again with the hand wand. The deputies have tasers and guns.

Ours has one entrance, some type of scanner like our airport has, and one policeman in the back. I'm not sure what goes on in the front, but it's probably just more of the same.

I remember this guy. Didn't he have a history of mental problems? I'm surprised he's out roaming free. Too bad, but at least this time he's the victim.

Our court house is fairly safe.. firstly its set up above the street level . about 20-30 steps off the ground and its entrances are set on the inside section of the building so cars cant be run into the building. There are about 4-6 guards at a checkpoint on the way in with scanners and airport like security.. there are also guards posted at the exits. There is only one entrance that can be used all other doors have been made to be exit only.

Ours has one entrance, some type of scanner like our airport has, and one policeman in the back. I'm not sure what goes on in the front, but it's probably just more of the same.

I remember this guy. Didn't he have a history of mental problems? I'm surprised he's out roaming free. Too bad, but at least this time he's the victim.

Yep he was diagnosed and was actually being picked up by a shuttle services to take him to his "appointment". He carjacked the lady and headed to the courthouse, where he was killed after lounging (sp) towards the judge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back