FLDS - Court Proceedings and Rulings

Leila

Reaction score
Judge to rule on which of polygamous sect's documents can be evidence

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A Dallas appellate judge will begin a private review today of computer hard drives and 1,000 boxes of documents seized from the Yearning for Zion Ranch to determine which may fall under the protections of the clergy-penitent privilege.
The content of the boxes, stacked floor-to-ceiling high in a Texas Department of Public Safety room, includes letters written to FLDS Prophet Warren Jeffs, church membership lists and genealogy charts, medical records and hand-written notations pertaining to ongoing criminal cases. The documents were taken from the ranch, owned by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in a raid that began April 3.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9085245

Judge to rule on which of polygamous sect's documents can be evidence

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A Dallas appellate judge will begin a private review today of computer hard drives and 1,000 boxes of documents seized from the Yearning for Zion Ranch to determine which may fall under the protections of the clergy-penitent privilege.
The content of the boxes, stacked floor-to-ceiling high in a Texas Department of Public Safety room, includes letters written to FLDS Prophet Warren Jeffs, church membership lists and genealogy charts, medical records and hand-written notations pertaining to ongoing criminal cases. The documents were taken from the ranch, owned by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in a raid that began April 3.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9085245

LOL, surprise surprise it didn't work out with the church's lawyers being the one to determine was relevant or priveleged. I am happy that now an independent person is the one that will be doing it. I do have to wonder though, just how many documents have disappeared while in the hands of the attorneys?

Note: the rep for Legal Aid has announced that they have completed a visitation schedule for the parents to visit the kids. So I guess we will be hearing a new round of complaints from the FLDS.

:p I get the feeling they'll not be happy about this choice either but life's not always going to give them their bowl of cherries. About time they figure that out.

This Judge is not putting up with nonsense.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695274735,00.html

Prosecutor Allison Palmer complained that during one full day, only half of one box had been inspected by two lawyers. She said attorneys for the church were slowing down the process by spending too much time analyzing the documents instead of simply determining whether the material was privileged.

"Judges have some experience doing that and it speeds things up," she said. After this week, another judge has been lined up to replace Francis to sort through the evidence."

This all sounds so familiar somehow....

In 1953 however, the new Arizona Governor Howard Pyle acted. After the FBI and the US Attorney’s office both refused to cooperate, he conducted a state-run infiltration and surveillance program intended to once and for all close the FLDS down. Over 100 officers swept into town at 4 AM, arresting 33 men and taking 50 women and 253 children into protective custody. The full resources of the state were employed including welfare officials and specially hired counselors, physicians and nurses, juvenile psychologists, forensic accountants and multiple prosecutors. Governor Pyle addressed the state by radio, laying out the evidence amassed over 26 months of investigation:
“Here is a community - many of the women, sadly, right along with the men - unalterably dedicated to the wicked theory that every maturing girl child should be forced into the bondage of multiple wifehood with men of all ages for the sole purpose of producing more children to be reared to become more chattels of this totally lawless enterprise.
“Highly competent investigators have been unable to find a single instance in the last decade of a girl child reaching the age of 15 without having been forced into a shameful mockery of marriage.
“All doubt is erased when it is realized that in the evidence the state has accumulated there are multiple instances of statutory rape, adultery, bigamy, open and notorious cohabitation, contributing to the delinquency of minors, marrying the spouse of another, and an all-embracing conspiracy to commit all of these crimes, along with various instances of income tax evasion, failure to comply with Arizona’s corporation laws, misappropriation of school funds, improper use of school facilities and falsification of public records.Persistent confusion over which children and which wives were associated with which men, a refusal of cooperation and deliberate deception from the women as witnesses and conflicting testimony between the state’s investigators and the FLDS membership turned the trials into farce. After all was done, 23 men received one-year suspended sentences and went home on unsupervised parole.
Worse, the national media portrayed the polygamists as a quaint religious order who were being wrongly prosecuted for their beliefs. A two-page spread in Life Magazine portrayed a rugged, independent life style of happiness and self reliance being smashed under the heavy boot-heels of the police state. The infamy spread far and wide, and to this day any mention of “Short Creek” in the mountain West and everyone recognizes the reference to that raid.
http://www.correntewire.com/flds_stealing_the_schools_money_changing_texas_laws

Yes, but this time there is a Federal investigation, and this all took place in Texas, not Utah or AZ. Texas doesn't have the history the other two have politically with the hot potato of polygamy. Besides, there's a lot more attention being drawn to this incident than to the Short Creek fiasco.

With so much widespread fraud and other illegal activities being investigated, the financial empire this group has created based on the fraud, it can be dismantled by the State and the Feds, just like any other mob or criminal organization.

I believe the properties should be sold off, the financial empire dismantled and money given to the victims of this sect, but the rest should go into State and Federal coffers. The taxpayers will never recover the full amount of taxes this group evaded or refused to pay or has defrauded from them.

Recovering some of the funds is better than nothing, but the dismantling of their money would go a long way to breaking up this sects power.

Yes, but this time there is a Federal investigation, and this all took place in Texas, not Utah or AZ. Texas doesn't have the history the other two have politically with the hot potato of polygamy. Besides, there's a lot more attention being drawn to this incident than to the Short Creek fiasco.

With so much widespread fraud and other illegal activities being investigated, the financial empire this group has created based on the fraud, it can be dismantled by the State and the Feds, just like any other mob or criminal organization.

I believe the properties should be sold off, the financial empire dismantled and money given to the victims of this sect, but the rest should go into State and Federal coffers. The taxpayers will never recover the full amount of taxes this group evaded or refused to pay or has defrauded from them.

Recovering some of the funds is better than nothing, but the dismantling of their money would go a long way to breaking up this sects power.

I was very please to see that Senate Majority leader, Harry Reid is calling for a federal task force to look into FLDS abuse. I think a federal task force will be able to accomplish what Utah and Arizona have been unable to do. I agree that dismantling the financial structure will go a long way to ending the chain of abuse. In the end, the FLDS may slowly wither and die.

I was very please to see that Senate Majority leader, Harry Reid is calling for a federal task force to look into FLDS abuse. I think a federal task force will be able to accomplish what Utah and Arizona have been unable to do. I agree that dismantling the financial structure will go a long way to ending the chain of abuse. In the end, the FLDS may slowly wither and die.
I don't think it will wither and die because they are too entrenched in their beliefs that they are above man's laws. Their leaders will find another way to scam and live off the fruitful labors of others. But now that there is a federal investigation and hopefully now a task force, in future they'll find their financial activities as well as their other illegal and abusive practices are monitored from now on.

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A judge has ordered the Texas Attorney General's Office to serve as the prosecutor on all criminal cases connected to last month's raid on the polygamous FLDS sect's compound in El Dorado.
The district attorney here filed a motion Monday requesting the Texas attorney general assume the cases. A state judge granted the request in a one-paragraph order issued the same day. The judge instructed the Texas attorney general to consider all cases arising from two search warrants served on the YFZ Ranch.
So, now the AG has it. We'll see what he does with the cases.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9169598

Attorney General brought into YFZ Ranch case to help with prosecutions

State District Judge Barbara Walther has approved a motion appointing the Attorney General of Texas as a special prosecutor to assist with any criminal cases that may arise from the state's raid of the YFZ Ranch near Eldorado.
The request - described as routine in large, complex cases such as this one - was filed and granted Monday. Local prosecutors, meanwhile, said they anticipate filing charges in the case.
"It's early in the game," said First Assistant 51st District Attorney Allison Palmer, "but I expect that ultimately there will be some criminal prosecution coming out of
this."

http://gosanangelo.com/news/2008/may/06/judge-names-attorney-general-special-prosecutor/

No arrests have been made in the case, although the one issued arrest warrant - for 50-year-old Dale Barlow - remains active, she said, rejecting previous reports that it had been dropped.
"I don't think that's the correct term," she said. "We want to complete this investigation and evidence review" before making a decision on the warrant, which many believe was the result of a hoax phone call that sparked the April 3 raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints compound.

That is the first step toward arrests. :clap: :clap:

They wouldn't request the assistance of the attorney general unless they anticipated arrests and many of them- more than what their attorney's office could handle.

That is the first step toward arrests. :clap: :clap:

They wouldn't request the assistance of the attorney general unless they anticipated arrests and many of them- more than what their attorney's office could handle.

I agree...........this is the first small step towards criminal prosecution. This is great news! :clap:

Patrick Crimmins, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, said the 60-day hearings that begin May 19 are to review service plans developed for each child, check medical care and hear how the children are faring in foster care.
“This is not going to be a redo of whether abuse or neglect occurred,” Crimmins said.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9155046

The lawyer representing the 3 boys 12-15 yrs old state the boys are homesick & want to return to there Moms. Isn't that about the age they get thrown out of the compound? At least in foster care they have a roof over there heads.

The lawyer representing the 3 boys 12-15 yrs old state the boys are homesick & want to return to there Moms. Isn't that about the age they get thrown out of the compound? At least in foster care they have a roof over there heads.

I wouldn't trust the lawyer. yes it is around the time they get dumped. :furious::furious::furious:

It is funny, I haven't seen where the FLDS has addressed the two 18 year old boys who have reportedly turned 18 since they were removed. And though they are now old enough to return to YFZ they have chosen to stay in the system.

It is funny, I haven't seen where the FLDS has addressed the two 18 year old boys who have reportedly turned 18 since they were removed. And though they are now old enough to return to YFZ they have chosen to stay in the system.

In FLDS terminology, they're now apostates, and I doubt the FLDS will ever mention them.

The three boys may miss their mothers, and even in cases where a parent is in jail/prison for a terrible crime, the children miss the parent. The children don't understand the situation, and why it's for their safety to be separated from their parent.

Oh no. Texas court of appeals rules that CPS had NO RIGHT to remove the children from the YFZ ranch. This is not good.

They haven't said that the investigation should not proceed, nor have they said the children need to be released back to their parents.

This will go to the state Supreme Court before it's all over.

There will be a news confrence at 2:30 EST on cnn to let everyone know the next move!

Texas doesn't have much choice. They will have to take it to the state Supreme court. And likely this one will end up in the federal Supreme Court which will take years to be heard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back