MI - Wife, mother, prison escapee Susan Lefevre caught after 32 years on the lam

How sad for her family. :( Talk about pulling the rug out from underneath you.

Off to prison she must go for 10-20 years to finish her sentence.

Wow, I am torn on this. I hate hate hate drugs and I have disdain for those who waste their life doped out of their heads but this lady has been living a normal life for 32 years. She didn't kill anyone or harm anyone other than herself many years ago.

I just don't know. :confused:

She broke the law. She was sentenced. She has to do her time til it's finished and/or she makes probation. We can't "pick and choose" who get's a break because we want to. The laws apply to all of us, otherwise we become an anarchy.

Wow, I am torn on this. I hate hate hate drugs and I have disdain for those who waste their life doped out of their heads but this lady has been living a normal life for 32 years. She didn't kill anyone or harm anyone other than herself many years ago.

I just don't know. :confused:

I agree with you in a way. Drugs are horrible and cause other crimes to occur but 10-20 years. I get sick every time I read of some sick getting less time for killing there baby or child.

She should do some time but 20 years?

She broke the law. She was sentenced. She has to do her time til it's finished and/or she makes probation. We can't "pick and choose" who get's a break because we want to. The laws apply to all of us, otherwise we become an anarchy.

True, but this case makes me think. It is sad. I was reading earlier her codefendant got the same sentence, was paroled after 2 years and continued his life of drugs and ended up murdered about five years later (1981).

I hope she only has to serve another year or two.

I'd love to read additional commentary on this story. If you read the comments section of one of the articles, someone says that she was told by the DA that if she pled guilty she'd be sentenced to probation. Instead the judge gave her the 10-20 year sentence, and she couldn't appeal since she'd pled guilty.

Well said. I agree.

I would venture to guess she had other convictions prior to the drug one. Sentence seems a bit harsh for a first offense.

The article above said "conspiracy and violation of drug laws." That sounds more like she was trying to bring in a large quantity of something - not just a small amount of drugs. A conspiracy charge, many times, is a federal charge - not something taken too lightly.

Well said. I agree.

I would venture to guess she had other convictions prior to the drug one. Sentence seems a bit harsh for a first offense.

The article above said "conspiracy and violation of drug laws." That sounds more like she was trying to bring in a large quantity of something - not just a small amount of drugs. A conspiracy charge, many times, is a federal charge - not something taken too lightly.

She was sentenced in 1976.

It was a different time.

In '76, in Texas, you could get 20 years for one joint.

I would like to know more details about what she did.

True, but this case makes me think. It is sad. I was reading earlier her codefendant got the same sentence, was paroled after 2 years and continued his life of drugs and ended up murdered about five years later (1981).

I hope she only has to serve another year or two.

And maybe if she didn't escape, she would have been out in 2 years too and lived a life similar to what she was living now... who knows... but she didn't "hang around" to find out. She snubbed our laws instead of paying for the crime(s) she committed.

it amuses me that people who think they have never done wrong, are quick to cheer for others getting what they consider to be their just rewards.

I wonder how some of you would feel if something you did, and were raised in as part of your culture, suddenly became illegal, and became that way because of something silly like the competition of two paper producing industries, and then you went to jail for doing what you and your people have always done.

Imagine an america where you could be shipped off to some prison for something like quilting, or standing around a park with like minded individuals just talking about quilting. would that be someone getting their just rewards....would that be protecting us from the anarchy of quilters everywhere?
(no)
:behindbar

~lightwaveryder~

Wow... I can't even comment on that post... it boggles my mind that someone could even compare a "what if" situation of "quilting" being illegal to actual crimes of conspiracy and violation of drug laws...

Laws are laws... if I broke any I'd expect to pay the fine or the time for my actions.

I know I'm in the minority here, but everytime I read about these kinds of cases where they've lived perfect, law abiding lives I think they should just give them probation and let them continue with the life they now have...I'm talking about when it's been this long.

In fact i agree with MsRusty. she's rehabilitated, which is what prison is supposed to lead to, isn't it?
:crazy:

I know I'm in the minority here, but everytime I read about these kinds of cases where they've lived perfect, law abiding lives I think they should just give them probation and let them continue with the life they now have...I'm talking about when it's been this long.

Me too, MsRusty. However, I think to a lot of folks prison is not about rehabilitation but about punishment and justice. There will definitely be those who want a pound of her flesh.

This for some reason (and maybe it shouldn't) reminds me of the case where a man shot a police officer 40 years ago, has been paroled since, but then the police officer died from an infection supposedly stemming from the 40 year old wound.

I'm torn as well on this case. On one hand...she broke the law. What message our we sending to criminals if they escape and we don't catch them until years later that we might let them go?

On the other hand...if she hasn't broken any laws since then, and has turned her life around, and is a contributing member to society, it seems to me we shouldn't waste our tax dollars re-imprisioning this person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back