1337 users online (215 members and 1122 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In My House
    Posts
    174

    Sinsinawa: How Does It Fit In?

    Term: Sinsinawa [origin of place name]

    Definition: Explanation 1: Name derived from the Indian word "jinawe," meaning rattle snake. Sinsinawa Mound has always been known for its rattlers. Explanation 2: A Sioux word meaning "home of the young eagle."
    [Source: Explanation 1: Smith, Huron H. Wis. Indian Peace Names. Milwaukee Public Museum. Yearbook 1930. Explanation 2: Centennial Records of the Women of Wisconsin. (Madison, 1876) page 22.]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In My House
    Posts
    174
    The above came from:

    wisconsininhistory.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,579
    http://wisconsin.hometownlocator.com.../Sinsinawa.cfm

    Sinsinawa, WI
    Community Profile



    http://wisconsin.hometownlocator.com...ID,1574195.cfm

    Name: Sinsinawa
    Class: Populated Place

    Latitude: 42.5236132
    Longitude: -90.5392947
    USGS GNIS FID: 1574195

  4. #4
    From: http://kstp.com/article/stories/S421846.shtml?cat=1?

    In Michigan, they found something strange among the group's graffiti: the word 'Sinsiniwa.' They couldn't figure out what it meant until a few months later when they arrived in Dubuque, Iowa to investigate the death of Matt Kruziki.

    His body was found on Sinsiniwa Avenue. Plus, they've discovered the nicknames of people in the group at more than one location.

  5. #5
    from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Dubuque,_Illinois

    "The main roads in East Dubuque are Sinsinawa Avenue and U.S. Route 20 (Wall Street)."

    and

    "
    The community is known for the number of bars located along Sinsinawa Ave. These establishments are quite popular during the weekend due to the fact that East Dubuque's mandatory closing time for bars - 3:30am - is later than that of Dubuque's. This does lead to problems with public intoxication, drunk driving, and related disturbances. Additional law enforcement is usually assigned to patrol that part of the city. The city has announced that it is making bars close earlier. In general the business community has opposed this as they claim that a large percentage of their revenue comes in after midnight."

    So all the bars in East Dubuque are on Sinsinawa Ave - and apparently Matt Kruziki was found on the same street.

  6. #6
    Kruziki's case on AMW: http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=37744

    Matthew Kruziki was traveling through Iowa when he and a friend decided to take a break and relax a little bit. The pair checked into a Dubuque, Iowa hotel and went to "The River Queen Lounge" across the state line in East Dubuque, Ill.

    Meanwhile, Matt's friend stayed behind and assumed that Matt was returning to the hotel across the Mississippi River in Dubuque. Instead, Matt returned to the River Queen Lounge at around 1:10 AM early Saturday, Christmas Eve, morning. According to cops, he had left his jacket and wallet behind and was trying to retrieve them.
    Police say that because of the earlier argument over the bill, Matt was not allowed back into the club. They say that instead, he was forced to leave without his belongings. Matt was last seen going out into 20-degree weather without his coat or wallet.
    Not to downplay Kruziki's possible link to these cases, but he left the bar in 20 degree weather and his hotel was across the Mississippi from the bars. He could have tried to cross the ice and tragically fallen through. Kruziki was only in Dubuque for the night, so it makes the idea that someone had targeted him and followed him for a while less likely to me. Still, the link to Sinsinawa is eerie, but maybe just a coincidence. JMO.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,476
    Quote Originally Posted by aj1020 View Post
    From: http://kstp.com/article/stories/S421846.shtml?cat=1?

    In Michigan, they found something strange among the group's graffiti: the word 'Sinsiniwa.' They couldn't figure out what it meant until a few months later when they arrived in Dubuque, Iowa to investigate the death of Matt Kruziki.

    His body was found on Sinsiniwa Avenue. Plus, they've discovered the nicknames of people in the group at more than one location.
    AJ, just a point of clarification, his body was not found on Sinsiniwa ave, that was the last place he was seen.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    AJ, just a point of clarification, his body was not found on Sinsiniwa ave, that was the last place he was seen.
    Blink, I agree with you, but I quoted that directly from the article here: http://kstp.com/article/stories/S421846.shtml?cat=1

    AMW also says he was last seen on Sinsinawa Ave - which actually crosses over the Mississippi to Dubuque, IA.

  9. #9
    Sinsinawa Mound also is home to a Domincan order of Nuns:

    http://www.sinsinawa.org/
    Last edited by DeltaDawn; 05-04-2008 at 07:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,983
    Quote Originally Posted by aj1020 View Post
    Kruziki's case on AMW: http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=37744



    Not to downplay Kruziki's possible link to these cases, but he left the bar in 20 degree weather and his hotel was across the Mississippi from the bars. He could have tried to cross the ice and tragically fallen through. Kruziki was only in Dubuque for the night, so it makes the idea that someone had targeted him and followed him for a while less likely to me. Still, the link to Sinsinawa is eerie, but maybe just a coincidence. JMO.

    I don't buy the fact Kruziki attempted to walk across the river to get back to Dubuque Ia. Kruziki was raised in Wi his Dad a former sheriff & current US marshall he'd of known better than to try walking across the Mississippi river. The river is very wide & might not even freeze the entire winter. He may of been drunk but not brain dead. To even consider walking across the Mississippi is INSANE, but it may not of been very cold yet that winter in Iowa.

    20 degrees for a Wis guy isn't very cold. I think the bartender should really feel like a horses butt keeping his coat under any circumstances.
    Being from Wis he'd know at 20 degrees its not cold enough to form ice yet.


  11. #11

    Sinsiniwa

    Sinsiniwa is an old Chippewa name for "Grave" or final resting place

    All the killings happened in what was the old Chippewa nations territory

    There was a great deal of unrest starting in the late 90"s over the tribes rights to land taken from them in the last century over failure to pay taxes.
    About the time they believe the killings started

    To step away from fact and into theory one could ask who a desinfranchised native american youth group may percieve as the guilty parties for thier present state . One can only answer the " The White Man", but to take it further ask the poor white man or the one with what appears to be all the advantages? and the final step ask. A christian man or A DECANDENT MAN?

    On a sidebar Chippewa custom calls for a dead body to be dry to cross to the other side.

    Just a thought.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,468
    Rusty that's very interesting, and welcome to WS.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty@Commcraft.net View Post
    Sinsiniwa is an old Chippewa name for "Grave" or final resting place

    All the killings happened in what was the old Chippewa nations territory

    There was a great deal of unrest starting in the late 90"s over the tribes rights to land taken from them in the last century over failure to pay taxes.
    About the time they believe the killings started

    To step away from fact and into theory one could ask who a desinfranchised native american youth group may percieve as the guilty parties for thier present state . One can only answer the " The White Man", but to take it further ask the poor white man or the one with what appears to be all the advantages? and the final step ask. A christian man or A DECANDENT MAN?

    On a sidebar Chippewa custom calls for a dead body to be dry to cross to the other side.

    Just a thought.
    Wow. I am notably impressed.

    Welcome, Rusty! Glad to have you here on W.S.

    Were you already familiar with the Chippewa lore, or did you research it after reading about this particular investigation?

    Susan

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Rusty, welcome to WS and I very much look forward to future posts you make.

  15. #15
    shadowraiths's Avatar
    shadowraiths is offline LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Specialist, infoSec Architect
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty@Commcraft.net View Post
    Sinsiniwa is an old Chippewa name for "Grave" or final resting place

    All the killings happened in what was the old Chippewa nations territory

    There was a great deal of unrest starting in the late 90"s over the tribes rights to land taken from them in the last century over failure to pay taxes.
    About the time they believe the killings started

    To step away from fact and into theory one could ask who a desinfranchised native american youth group may percieve as the guilty parties for thier present state . One can only answer the " The White Man", but to take it further ask the poor white man or the one with what appears to be all the advantages? and the final step ask. A christian man or A DECANDENT MAN?

    On a sidebar Chippewa custom calls for a dead body to be dry to cross to the other side.

    Just a thought.
    And most excellent thoughts at that!



    Forensic Psychology Portal

    I tend to disappear from Websleuths from time to time.
    If I do, you can usually find me on
    Twitter.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast