1211 users online (237 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange Sun Phenomena in S. Florida

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/flor...ry/514851.html

Halo around the sun.

The picture does not do this justice.
    It was wild to see.

I will post more pictures as I find them

We've had something similiar around the moon, here. F R E A K Y !!!

I know if I'd seen this, I'd a been one of those callers!

Rocky was right!!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Rocky was right!!
    Run for your lives!

Seriously though, that looks pretty cool.

Awesome site!

I've seen plenty of 'sun dogs', pieces of rainbows in the sky, usually during the winter, but never anything like this.

Pink sun in Florida? Hmmmm.....must be the Flamingo Sun Syndrome.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Richman View Post
    We've had something similiar around the moon, here. F R E A K Y !!!
    we did too where I live and it kinda freaked me out haha but this sun is crazy

My grandfather use to say that a ring like that around the moon meant snow.

I have seen that many times before but never around the sun.
    I do not recall the term for it but the sun halo (probably the moon one too) is created from Ice Prisms in the upper atmosphere and warm weather and cold colliding or some such thing..

Its probably not that strange in other places but for South Florida it is

I have a sneaking suspicion Tom Cruise got something to do with that. Amraann did you see this in person? It's way cool. Could all Florida see it? Watch for the space craft tonight cause TomKat will be getting out. Seriously, thank you for sharing.

It looks beautiful, would loved to know if it has a meaning. Around here we say a ring around the moon means rain. Never heard of a ring around the sun before though.

My dad was in the Airforce and used to know when there would be a ring around the moon. It usually looked green. He said it was gases, least that is how explained it to me at 6. We would all have our dinner then he would lift each of us little ones to make sure we got a good view of the ring. He also said it was fumes from all that green cheese going bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion Tom Cruise got something to do with that. Amraann did you see this in person? It's way cool. Could all Florida see it? Watch for the space craft tonight cause TomKat will be getting out. Seriously, thank you for sharing.
    I did see it in person ... On my little Island it was all anyone was talking about! (everyone called everyone else .. all 22 of us LLOL)

I could be seen From Key Largo to Key West .. Miami could have seen it if not for cloud coverage there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I did see it in person ... On my little Island it was all anyone was talking about! (everyone called everyone else .. all 22 of us LLOL)

I could be seen From Key Largo to Key West .. Miami could have seen it if not for cloud coverage there yesterday.
    Wow. The photo is absolutely beautiful. What a spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post

You're right about the crystals around the moon, I've seen that before. It is a farmer's tale about snow coming.

Say Amraann, have you ever seen the flash of green glow from the setting sun just as is falls below the water? I saw it once at Mallory Square, during one of the nightly sunset celebrations there.

BarnGoddess:

I caught a photo of the green flash while in Hawaii. You have to blow the photo up a little and you can see the green. I'll go look for it. I've backed it up to .... somewhere safe. I'll let you know when I come across it. It's amazing. I don't know what it is and never heard of such a thing until my DH told me about it while we were dating. Oh I thought he was so interesting with all of his knowledge of stuff like that. I've always called him my magic man.
    "It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~~ JA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast