Teen Hides In Bed; Foils Intruders

UMfanforever

Reaction score
Teen Hides In Bed; Foils Intruders

LITHOPOLIS, Ohio -- A 13-year-old crimefighter is being credited with thwarting a home break-in and getting two suspects arrested.
Thirteen-year-old Lauren Durnbaugh was home sick from school on Tuesday when she heard a knock at the door of her home in Bloom Township, NBC 4's Tom Brockman reported.

<snip>
Durnbaugh then sent a text message to her mother, 53-year-old Margo Roby, who called 911 and rushed home.
Roby rammed her vehicle into the suspects' car and confronted the men, wrestling with one intruder until police arrived.

More:

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/crime_watch.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-04-30-0025.html

This is exactly why I do not leave any children/teens at home sick or not during the day/night. My 15yo daughter had to sit with me at work when her school had a half day off. She wanted to be home, but I told her it wasn't a safe enough option for her. She said, "Mom, nothing will happen, I won't open the door...etc." Thanks for posting this article, I had her read it!
These daylight break-ins are most likely going to increase due to the state of the economy. Druggies will have to compete with "others" supplementing their income with crime.

Thank God they didn't notice this girl hiding under the covers and she had her cell phone with her!

Another story says that they actually sat on the bed she was hiding in. How they didn't notice her or sit on her I don't know.

This is exactly why I do not leave any children/teens at home sick or not during the day/night. My 15yo daughter had to sit with me at work when her school had a half day off. She wanted to be home, but I told her it wasn't a safe enough option for her. She said, "Mom, nothing will happen, I won't open the door...etc." Thanks for posting this article, I had her read it!
These daylight break-ins are most likely going to increase due to the state of the economy. Druggies will have to compete with "others" supplementing their income with crime.

Thank God they didn't notice this girl hiding under the covers and she had her cell phone with her!

I think a 15 year old can handle themselves home alone. Under 13, probably not. How long are you going to keep your child under lock and key?

What does that say about your home security that you won't leave a teenager home alone?

I think a 15 year old can handle themselves home alone. Under 13, probably not. How long are you going to keep your child under lock and key?

What does that say about your home security that you won't leave a teenager home alone?

I think it depends on where you live... But I agree 15 is old enough to be home alone.

I know she can handle being left alone...it's not her competence that I worry about. It's the darn drug dealers that moved into the foreclosed "empty" homes recently that I don't trust. Our neighborhood has seen an increase in home burgularies during the hours of 10am to 2pm. I think I would be considered negligent if I left her home knowing that there has been an increase in crime. I guess I didn't give enough info in my original post, thanks for responding.

I know she can handle being left alone...it's not her competence that I worry about. It's the darn drug dealers that moved into the foreclosed "empty" homes recently that I don't trust. Our neighborhood has seen an increase in home burgularies during the hours of 10am to 2pm. I think I would be considered negligent if I left her home knowing that there has been an increase in crime. I guess I didn't give enough info in my original post, thanks for responding.

Irrelevant to leaving your daughter home .. if they are staying in "empty" homes you should notify the police. They will all be arrested for B & E and trespassing as well as for the drugs the police find.
I would also install a very loud alarm in your house....
Drug users will do crazy things... even breaking in when you are home.

Irrelevant to leaving your daughter home .. if they are staying in "empty" homes you should notify the police. They will all be arrested for B & E and trespassing as well as for the drugs the police find.
I would also install a very loud alarm in your house....
Drug users will do crazy things... even breaking in when you are home.

Police notified everytime, there is a loud alarm...
The problem is that there are so many nice newer homes that have been foreclosed on...so they just move around. Out of ten homes on one block...6 are foreclosed. Many people are losing their homes, it's crazy. Our once nice neighborhood is on a serious decline...

I can't imagine getting a text message from my daughter saying there were men in her bedroom when she was home alone!

The drive over there would be helish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back