Search engine?

UMfanforever

Reaction score
Is there a search engine where you can plug in variables (projected age, sex, weight, height, eye/hair color, possibly geographic area, scars/tattoo) and come up with Jane Does (remains found) in an engine, and then attempt to match them up to the Missing?

Note I'm not asking for a search engine of a website, I mean a database of some sort keeping track of Jane Does. If there was, I think it would help immensely in matching people up and solving a lot of cases.

Is there a search engine where you can plug in variables (projected age, sex, weight, height, eye/hair color, possibly geographic area, scars/tattoo) and come up with Jane Does (remains found) in an engine, and then attempt to match them up to the Missing?

Are you looking for a child or an adult?

Note I'm not asking for a search engine of a website, I mean a database of some sort keeping track of Jane Does. If there was, I think it would help immensely in matching people up and solving a lot of cases.

The National Center for Missing Adults is a good place to start. They list missing people and unidentified deceased people. There are various ways to search.

I have just left that website looking for someone, and I have to say, the details are somewhat lacking sometimes - IMO. You might also try the Charley Project which takes missing persons info from many different sources. They very often have more in-depth details regarding the circumstances under which people have gone missing.

The National Center for Missing has pictures and city/state, but it doesn't have a search engine for unidentified people. Then you could filter by hair color, weight, age, etc and come up with matches that way. They only have search for missing .

The National Center for Missing has pictures and city/state, but it doesn't have a search engine for unidentified people. Then you could filter by hair color, weight, age, etc and come up with matches that way. They only have search for missing .

That's because often times, the undentifieds found are badly decomposed or just skeletal remains. They don't know the hair color, eye color, height, weight, etc. Best option in that case is to seach geographically. Do you have personal ties to this missing person?

Nope..no personal ties. Just searching through and trying to be helpful.

Nope..no personal ties. Just searching through and trying to be helpful.

I sense your frustration and can totally relate! I turned in 2 possible missing/uid matches today. Both of the missing persons and both of the UID's were on the NCMA site. I don't know yet if they were actually matches, but they both seemed painfully obvious to me and neither were new postings. The first PD I contacted had never even heard of NCMA - I had to walk him through it, only to learn that 2 of the most important identifiers of the missing person were inaccurate! It is frustrating, but there are a lot of awesome folks here on Websleuths who do really great work and are trying to make things better. And even with what we have to work with now, we keep plugging along...Welcome and glad to have your insights! Tell us how we can help you.

I'm a fan of the show Unsolved Mysteries (it's coming back in the fall, but it won't be the same as Robert Stack's show) and watch the Investigtion Discovery channel and sometimes TruTV.

I sense your frustration and can totally relate! I turned in 2 possible missing/uid matches today. Both of the missing persons and both of the UID's were on the NCMA site. I don't know yet if they were actually matches, but they both seemed painfully obvious to me and neither were new postings. The first PD I contacted had never even heard of NCMA - I had to walk him through it, only to learn that 2 of the most important identifiers of the missing person were inaccurate! It is frustrating, but there are a lot of awesome folks here on Websleuths who do really great work and are trying to make things better. And even with what we have to work with now, we keep plugging along...Welcome and glad to have your insights! Tell us how we can help you.

I posted a search result I found from 1991 in Tampa FL with that name I mentioned (Catherine). I doubt it's the same one, but you never know. It's the only one that came up with that exact search term in the newspaper archives in the U.S.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back