1301 users online (257 members and 1044 guests)  

Websleuths News

Smiley Face Gang

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352960,00.html

Detectives: 40 Drowning Victims May Have Been Murdered by 'Smiley Face Gang'

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

KSTP.com

This smiley-face symbol was found painted near the scenes of drowning deaths in four states.

At least 40 young men who drowned may have died by far more sinister means — serial killings at the hands of a national gang that revels in murdering young men and leaving smiley-face markings at the scene, a team of retired New York City police detectives and criminal justice investigators said Monday.
    They believe the victims, including University of Minnesota student Chris Jenkins and Fordham University student Patrick McNeill, didn't accidentally drown but were actually killed by members of the so-called "Smiley Face Gang," according to KSTP-TV, which first reported the story.

According to our local news (Albany NY) - Josh Szostack's father has found a smiley face along the river bank. His death was ruled accidental drowning.

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_...t/Default.aspx

I have not found a list of victims, timelines, or states. Apparently, these cases go back decades, and span accross 11 states.

I didn't see another thread related to this, If there is one, my apologies!

This is a spotlight case. Here is the latest topic about it, and there are more topics about it in this WS forum.

Hi L-t-C

There's now a forum on this ... just a sec ... will locate link.

Ahh ... here you got:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64034

[edited to add ... ooops, KatK ... I'm so slow at this, lol thanks, PSA ]

Quote Originally Posted by PolkSaladAnnie View Post
    <snip>
    [edited to add ... ooops, KatK ... I'm so slow at this, lol thanks, PSA ]
    S'all right! It happens. Heh... 'Sides, I might not have been reading Websleuths at this hour. Stayed up to defrag the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    S'all right! It happens. Heh... 'Sides, I might not have been reading Websleuths at this hour. Stayed up to defrag the computer.
    Tks ... and I know the late-night feeling, myself

Looking at L-T-C's pic in that link ... I'm wondering if there are [hidden] cryptic symbols within that smiley face? The "cross" on the forehead and the "Jesus" fish as a smile. Could it be some anti-Christian group, sect or person? Were the victims all of Christian faith?

Just a completely wild guess on my part ... if "they" take the trouble to put that face out there, seems they have a reason and/or subliminal message for it.

OK. Shelve that thought: just seen that 2 of the faces are different

Have you read Steve Huff's The True Crime Weblog? He has written a very interesting editorial about this. I recommend reading it, (ETA: The comments there are also well worth a read.) as well as at least the topic I linked, if not the first topic in the series of topics about this case. (They have similar titles, just numbers denoting the order they were continued in.)

Thank you, KatK... just saw a reference to Steve's blog in this forum. Am now going to research a tad more before commenting again

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Have you read Steve Huff's The True Crime Weblog? He has written a very interesting editorial about this. I recommend reading it, (ETA: The comments there are also well worth a read.) as well as at least the topic I linked, if not the first topic in the series of topics about this case. (They have similar titles, just numbers denoting the order they were continued in.)
    He's not buying it, but he has an open mind. I also think the group killer idea is a tough one to accept, but I think it is possible, especially with the existence of the internet, which I wouldn't doubt is used by the killer/s somehow. Victims may even be identified initailly through MySpace or Facebook.

Far tougher to accept, though, in my mind, is that this many young men fitting a profile would drown in this manner. I think drowning statistics would bear out the unlikelihood of that scenario. The smiley faces, the hair clutched in Jenkins' hand, the clothes folded neatly at some of the body sites, people saying these young men were not all that drunk, the common locations, etc. Just too many suspicious things to ignore.

Eve

If anyone is interested People magazine this week has a story on these cases.This was the first I had actually read about this theory,IF there is even the slightest bit of truth to this smiley face theory,God help these young men.

I won't give my opinion on this as i have not read enough about the case to form one,yet.
    Carolyn Pruyser missing since May 17,1984 please read her about her case Here

Quote Originally Posted by Alta View Post
    If anyone is interested People magazine this week has a story on these cases.This was the first I had actually read about this theory,IF there is even the slightest bit of truth to this smiley face theory,God help these young men.

I won't give my opinion on this as i have not read enough about the case to form one,yet.
    Welcome to the discussion Alta. We appreciate everyone's input here.

By all means, read Huff's blog! I would hate to think our "conspiracy theorists" here are not being fair to the possibility the detectives are totally wrong. Of course, someday I could change my mind...but since I have followed these cases for a very long time and always felt something was very wrong...I doubt I will.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    By all means, read Huff's blog! I would hate to think our "conspiracy theorists" here are not being fair to the possibility the detectives are totally wrong. Of course, someday I could change my mind...but since I have followed these cases for a very long time and always felt something was very wrong...I doubt I will.
    You know there was a serial killer called the smiley face killer. His name was Keith Jurgenson (think that is right) and he was a long haul trucker. Someone could be copycatting the nic but using their own style.