Smiley Face Murders

LovingTheChaos

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352960,00.html

Detectives: 40 Drowning Victims May Have Been Murdered by 'Smiley Face Gang'

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

KSTP.com

This smiley-face symbol was found painted near the scenes of drowning deaths in four states.

At least 40 young men who drowned may have died by far more sinister means — serial killings at the hands of a national gang that revels in murdering young men and leaving smiley-face markings at the scene, a team of retired New York City police detectives and criminal justice investigators said Monday.
They believe the victims, including University of Minnesota student Chris Jenkins and Fordham University student Patrick McNeill, didn't accidentally drown but were actually killed by members of the so-called "Smiley Face Gang," according to KSTP-TV, which first reported the story.

According to our local news (Albany NY) - Josh Szostack's father has found a smiley face along the river bank. His death was ruled accidental drowning.

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/115158/szostak-s-father-speaks-out/Default.aspx

I have not found a list of victims, timelines, or states. Apparently, these cases go back decades, and span accross 11 states.

I didn't see another thread related to this, If there is one, my apologies!

<snip>
[edited to add ... ooops, KatK ... I'm so slow at this, lol :) thanks, PSA ]

S'all right! :) It happens. Heh... 'Sides, I might not have been reading Websleuths at this hour. Stayed up to defrag the computer.

S'all right! :) It happens. Heh... 'Sides, I might not have been reading Websleuths at this hour. Stayed up to defrag the computer.

Tks ... and I know the late-night feeling, myself :crazy:

Looking at L-T-C's pic in that link ... I'm wondering if there are [hidden] cryptic symbols within that smiley face? The "cross" on the forehead and the "Jesus" fish as a smile. Could it be some anti-Christian group, sect or person? Were the victims all of Christian faith?

Just a completely wild guess on my part ... if "they" take the trouble to put that face out there, seems they have a reason and/or subliminal message for it.

OK. Shelve that thought: just seen that 2 of the faces are different :slap: :slap:

Have you read Steve Huff's The True Crime Weblog? He has written a very interesting editorial about this. I recommend reading it, (ETA: The comments there are also well worth a read.) as well as at least the topic I linked, if not the first topic in the series of topics about this case. :) (They have similar titles, just numbers denoting the order they were continued in.)

Thank you, KatK... just saw a reference to Steve's blog in this forum. Am now going to research a tad more before commenting again :D

Have you read Steve Huff's The True Crime Weblog? He has written a very interesting editorial about this. I recommend reading it, (ETA: The comments there are also well worth a read.) as well as at least the topic I linked, if not the first topic in the series of topics about this case. :) (They have similar titles, just numbers denoting the order they were continued in.)

He's not buying it, but he has an open mind. I also think the group killer idea is a tough one to accept, but I think it is possible, especially with the existence of the internet, which I wouldn't doubt is used by the killer/s somehow. Victims may even be identified initailly through MySpace or Facebook.

Far tougher to accept, though, in my mind, is that this many young men fitting a profile would drown in this manner. I think drowning statistics would bear out the unlikelihood of that scenario. The smiley faces, the hair clutched in Jenkins' hand, the clothes folded neatly at some of the body sites, people saying these young men were not all that drunk, the common locations, etc. Just too many suspicious things to ignore.

Eve

If anyone is interested People magazine this week has a story on these cases.This was the first I had actually read about this theory,IF there is even the slightest bit of truth to this smiley face theory,God help these young men.

I won't give my opinion on this as i have not read enough about the case to form one,yet.

If anyone is interested People magazine this week has a story on these cases.This was the first I had actually read about this theory,IF there is even the slightest bit of truth to this smiley face theory,God help these young men.

I won't give my opinion on this as i have not read enough about the case to form one,yet.

Welcome to the discussion Alta. We appreciate everyone's input here.

By all means, read Huff's blog! I would hate to think our "conspiracy theorists" here are not being fair to the possibility the detectives are totally wrong. Of course, someday I could change my mind...but since I have followed these cases for a very long time and always felt something was very wrong...I doubt I will.

By all means, read Huff's blog! I would hate to think our "conspiracy theorists" here are not being fair to the possibility the detectives are totally wrong. Of course, someday I could change my mind...but since I have followed these cases for a very long time and always felt something was very wrong...I doubt I will.

You know there was a serial killer called the smiley face killer. His name was Keith Jurgenson (think that is right) and he was a long haul trucker. Someone could be copycatting the nic but using their own style.

I've been spending a lot of time reading into the smiley face killer theories, such as being a heating/cooling technician all the way to St. Johns abbey and the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling due to alchemy, rituals, etc. I am an Eau Claire native and my roommate and i decided to look more into the case in hopes of learning more specifics on the 25 murdered (sfkillers.com is La-Crosse diocese run, has over 80 murders and spans way outside of my area) between La Crosse and just north of the twin cities.

This is my first thread and i dont know if this is proper but i am wondering if anyone knows more details that i could be helped with (websites, documents, videos, etc) and more specifically, we are going around Eau Claire and i will be going to La Crosse to hopefully locate where the smiley faces are located, *Gannon has 12?* and hopefully use some information to determine how far the body would travel over however much time.

Any info would be great, i have searched the net and spent a good amount of time here looking, hoping i didnt accidently skim over a story or two. Thanks again!

Thanks for the help! Its -20 out today so itll be a week or two before i get my gear on and walk by the river, but for now ill stay busy with all this new reading!

Thanks again

I am very happy to hear this news-Lord knows it should have happened A LONG time ago!

Wow! This is the first current news I've seen on this forum for years~

I haven't worked these cases for ages, but since I've been absent from this situation, I've known of someone in California, OC, who was found just as these young men. No one knows nuthin'. :( and I know someone who was arbitrarily drugged at a bar. (nothing happened to them cuz one of them wasn't drugged, two were and it took a day or so to figure out what happened. scarrrryyy situation because there was NO POINT to the drugging. Just weird)

Hope something comes of this new federal involvement!

JMHO
fran

I hope something comes from it to,I truly believe there is a serial killer out there.I have so wished for justice for all those families who lost their sons.Its about time someone did something about it!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back