1169 users online (219 members and 950 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    919

    Throwing babies for good luck

    OMG I am outraged.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor....baby.toss.cnn

    These people are crazy, couldnt you flip a babies liver by tossing it and letting it bounce?

    Edited to say my header should have been "Tossing Babies for good luck" Either way, its still sick.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    People sure have funny customs. Some folks in Europe think those who circumcize babies are barbaric.

    I wouldn't want my baby thrown off a temple, but maybe I'd feel differently had I grown up in that culture.

    The drop and bounce doesn't look hardcore enough to me to flip a liver, but I have no medical background. My biggest concern would be that the baby would miss the mat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    People sure have funny customs. Some folks in Europe think those who circumcize babies are barbaric.

    I wouldn't want my baby thrown off a temple, but maybe I'd feel differently had I grown up in that culture.

    The drop and bounce doesn't look hardcore enough to me to flip a liver, but I have no medical background. My biggest concern would be that the baby would miss the mat.
    I dont know medically if it could flip the liver or not either, I have just always heard to not to toss your baby up in the air or flip them because you would flip their liver, so thats what made me think of that. Either way, it still scares me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,684
    That's definitely a strange custom to me. I hope all of the babies land safely on the mat. I'd be interested to know if any do fall or get hurt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    People sure have funny customs. Some folks in Europe think those who circumcize babies are barbaric.

    I wouldn't want my baby thrown off a temple, but maybe I'd feel differently had I grown up in that culture.

    The drop and bounce doesn't look hardcore enough to me to flip a liver, but I have no medical background. My biggest concern would be that the baby would miss the mat.
    It's mutilation, pure and simple.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
    It's mutilation, pure and simple.
    Welcome to the world - we're glad you're here! Now we will cut off the most sensitive part of your body....OR lob you from the roof of a tall temple!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
    It's mutilation, pure and simple.

    agree!

  8. #8
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    I saw that video and I worried about the shaken baby syndrome. It is quite jarring when they hit the mat. I think it is allso quite traumatic for a baby, who has a built in fear of falling, to be thrown off such a high place.

  9. #9
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Quote Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
    It's mutilation, pure and simple.
    I agree as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    Do they not have common sense.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    160
    Watching that made me sick!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by c2cd208 View Post
    I dont know medically if it could flip the liver or not either, I have just always heard to not to toss your baby up in the air or flip them because you would flip their liver, so thats what made me think of that. Either way, it still scares me.

    I am pretty sure that you could not flip their liver LLOL


    However it probably can cause shaken baby symptoms... Their little brains can rattle in their skull and swell and bleed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    I saw that video and I worried about the shaken baby syndrome. It is quite jarring when they hit the mat. I think it is allso quite traumatic for a baby, who has a built in fear of falling, to be thrown off such a high place.
    Why do you think babies have a built in fear of falling??

    I really think at that age they have not developed the spacial skills to be afraid.

    Still this is just a weird ritual!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Well...they've been doing it for 500 years...........

    I wouldn't do it ..but hey, who am I?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by c2cd208 View Post
    OMG I am outraged.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor....baby.toss.cnn

    These people are crazy, couldnt you flip a babies liver by tossing it and letting it bounce?

    Edited to say my header should have been "Tossing Babies for good luck" Either way, its still sick.
    I saw that crap on the news! It is the same risk as shaking a baby. It is dangerous as heck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Good luck to Witnesses of the State and the SA team.
    By Sammiejam in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM
  2. Bad luck or bad driving turns into good luck
    By mysteriew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:19 AM
  3. Talk about Rotten Luck! Half blind man shot in good eye
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 04:31 PM
  4. Ukraine - 11-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth
    By AppleAnnie in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM