1223 users online (193 members and 1030 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051

    Anyone about Canada?

    I was just wondering if anyone here is from Canada or knows much about it? My DH's immigration case isn't going well and one option we have thought about is moving to Canada, which would be about 12 hours from Illinois if we live on the border. I have read they banned pit bulls there, as most of you know we have a pit baby we love and I would not want to have to leave him behind. I know it is in Ontario but wasn't sure about the rest of Canada. I was wondering where is a good place to live near the border with a Hospital as I am a medical transcriptionist so I need to be close to work and with good schools. I would appreciate any input, thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    502
    Pit bulls are only banned in Ontario, to my knowledge.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeSolver View Post
    Pit bulls are only banned in Ontario, to my knowledge.
    Thanks thats kind of what I thought so I guess Manitoba is where we might go. I liked Thunder Bay, what I seen online anyway but that is in Ontario.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    clifton park,ny
    Posts
    7,355
    I can't help you much,except to say I love Canadians. Everytime I'm up there,they are friendly and welcoming. They also have good beer,and love hockey!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    985
    i live in saskatchewan.

    medical transcriptionists here make around 18 dollars an hour.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyM View Post
    i live in saskatchewan.

    medical transcriptionists here make around 18 dollars an hour.
    Thanks MistyM, do you know anything about Altona or Morden. They are both close to the border of Manitoba. What I seen on line looks nice. I know I will have to actually travel there eventually to check these places out. I want something with good schools. We live in the country right now but not too far from the city and my son goes to a really good school where classes are small and they get a lot of attention.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    3,332
    I live in Alberta,any position in the medical field here is in great need.But it is farther west than where you want to be.If you need any info please feel free to ask away.
    Carolyn Pruyser missing since May 17,1984 please read her about her case Here

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    120
    I live in Ontario, depending where you move will depend on your school - each municipality has their own school board. In Onatrio the kids have to take an EQUAO test in Grade 3, 6 and Grade 10 they must pass the test to graduate high school - these are provinical test. Also in High School it is a prerequisit to do community service to get your diploma.
    If you want to move to Canada I suggest Saskatchewan, Alberta or British Columbia - those are the provinces with the money. Ontario is on its way to a recession.

    Also before you move look into what is needed here for immigration and what work permits you will need and if your diploma, certificate is recognized in Canada some are some are not.

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by wtsn5 View Post
    I live in Ontario, depending where you move will depend on your school - each municipality has their own school board. In Onatrio the kids have to take an EQUAO test in Grade 3, 6 and Grade 10 they must pass the test to graduate high school - these are provinical test. Also in High School it is a prerequisit to do community service to get your diploma.
    If you want to move to Canada I suggest Saskatchewan, Alberta or British Columbia - those are the provinces with the money. Ontario is on its way to a recession.

    Also before you move look into what is needed here for immigration and what work permits you will need and if your diploma, certificate is recognized in Canada some are some are not.

    Good luck
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am planning on asking our immigration attorney this next week how we could go about doing this if things don't work out here. I can't imagine moving away from my family though. I am definitely looking for places that have big hospitals with offices around. I would like to work from home eventually but if I couldn't find something right away I would take anything. I have heard that they are more strict in Canadian schools than American schools. My son is a good student so I wouldn't worry so much but I know he doesn't want to leave his friends and go to a new place.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,012
    If you're seriously thinking of having your son go to school in Canada, I'd suggest get him now learning french, it's taught in the schools there at a young age and it would be something to help him with the transition.

    VB


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    If you're seriously thinking of having your son go to school in Canada, I'd suggest get him now learning french, it's taught in the schools there at a young age and it would be something to help him with the transition.

    VB
    Yes that was another question I had. I know most people speack French and English there. In the hospital do the doctors usually speak English or both for their reports?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    177,440
    Hi IM

    I'm from BC but a very very small town which mostly depends on lumber mills for income. The situation is not good here right now with the dollar being the way it is. Bigger cities like Vancouver or Victoria or even Kelowna would have more opportunities.
    I used to do medical transcription, coding, etc. but our little hospital has been cut back to 10 beds so my department has shut down and transcribing is done through the phone, elsewhere.
    My brother lived in Ontario and although he said it was beautiful there and tons of opportunities, he found the winters long and very cold.
    Feel free to pm you if I can be on any more help to if you are considering BC at all. What kind of work would your DH be looking for?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Masonsgramma View Post
    Hi IM

    I'm from BC but a very very small town which mostly depends on lumber mills for income. The situation is not good here right now with the dollar being the way it is. Bigger cities like Vancouver or Victoria or even Kelowna would have more opportunities.
    I used to do medical transcription, coding, etc. but our little hospital has been cut back to 10 beds so my department has shut down and transcribing is done through the phone, elsewhere.
    My brother lived in Ontario and although he said it was beautiful there and tons of opportunities, he found the winters long and very cold.
    Feel free to pm you if I can be on any more help to if you are considering BC at all. What kind of work would your DH be looking for?
    Well my DH works for a truck company right now. He loads and enters bills into the computer. He liks this or construction work so I think he could probably find a job just about anywhere but I am kind of limited to where I can go with my career. I was worried about the winters. I hate the cold and always look forward to summer. We were trying to look into towns close to the border that way we could still drive to Illinois in about a day. My mom is having a cow because we are even thinking about it. She says she is keeping the grandkids, LOL.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    177,440
    LOL, I can understand your Mom. If my grandkids moved away (which they might have to yet if things dont change) we will be right behind them. BC is very far from Illinois so I doubt you'll want to be this far west. Ontario, like I said (Ottawa was where my brother lived) would have so many opportunities but it DOES get pretty severe winters. As for trucking, or even you, I doubt you would have any problems with jobs in a large city. Yes, French is a requirement in school.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Masonsgramma View Post
    LOL, I can understand your Mom. If my grandkids moved away (which they might have to yet if things dont change) we will be right behind them. BC is very far from Illinois so I doubt you'll want to be this far west. Ontario, like I said (Ottawa was where my brother lived) would have so many opportunities but it DOES get pretty severe winters. As for trucking, or even you, I doubt you would have any problems with jobs in a large city. Yes, French is a requirement in school.
    I will look in to Ottawa, thanks. I knew I shouldn't have dropped French in high school. I thought I will never need that, LOL! Now here I am 11 years later and I may need it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Canada - German tourist W. Goffing charged with Canada Line sex assault, March 2015
    By FromGermany in forum Crimes In The News- Time Line - Media-Reference Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2015, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 01:24 AM
  3. CANADA CANADA - 50K$ Reward offered in Canada Cold Cases *rape*
    By Cherry in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
  4. Canada - 'Password' foils alleged kidnapping , Winnipeg Canada
    By Valleyboy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
  5. Canada - Edmonton, Canada porn bust leads to 20 countries
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM