Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 171

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,049

    Librarian Fired for Reporting Child Pornography

    There is a petition.

    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=59457

    Librarian fired for reporting child pornography
    Supervisor warned her not to call police over illegal activity

    A bizarre battle has erupted over the arrest on child pornography charges of a man at a California public library, with library and county officials siding against the staffer who called police to arrest the alleged criminal.
    Librarian Brenda Biesterfeld was fired from her job after disregarding her supervisor's orders not to call police.
    Now a pro-family organization and a law firm are rallying support for her.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,772
    That makes absolutely no sense.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,717
    WHAT?????

    So basically her bosses are pervs too????

    I do not care what the law says .... Any person aware of child abuse in ANY form should legally have to report it!

    Why on earth would they tell her not to?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    WHAT?????

    So basically her bosses are pervs too????

    I do not care what the law says .... Any person aware of child abuse in ANY form should legally have to report it!

    Why on earth would they tell her not to?
    Exactly - just makes NO sense. Her supervisor said the library handled this internally and it (looking at porn at the library) was a bigger problem than one would expect.

    Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but why can computers at libraries even access any porn?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,867
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but why can computers at libraries even access any porn?
    That was my question. We can block that stuff on our personal computers. Why wouldn't a public library do the same?

    Sick...


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    That was my question. We can block that stuff on our personal computers. Why wouldn't a public library do the same?

    Sick...
    This library did have blocking. Problem is that the porn this guy viewed was an attachment in his email. That's how he got around the block.


  7. #7
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    That was my question. We can block that stuff on our personal computers. Why wouldn't a public library do the same?

    Sick...
    Because the ACLU is on this as a freedom of speech thing and has been for years. This is recent article but I have read things like this for a long time now.

    Library board to vote on porn access
    ACLU says restrictions would be unconstitutional

    Are public library restrictions against pornography access unconstitutional?

    That's what the Sacramento Public Library Authority Board will decide when it votes on a resolution that could make porn available in its libraries. A meeting is scheduled tomorrow night.

    Last month, when the issue was first addressed, the American Civil Liberties Union maintained the position that restricting public access to pornography in libraries would be unconstitutional, while attorneys for the Pacific Justice Institute disagreed.

    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=62397


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,049
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    It's strange to me to. The attorneys for the librarian claim that the ACLA (library assoc) believes this falls under a freedom of speech thing. But frankly, I don't get that. There seems like there must be more to this story, but I can't figure it out.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,778
    This story was all over the news around here when it happened. I don't know what the status is on Brenda's complaint now. Of course Brenda's supervisor that fired her claimed that there were "other reasons" for the firing. She was on probationary status at the time because she had worked there less than 6 months. However, I believe she had worked in that capacity some years ago, so this was a rehire. The last I heard Brenda had signed a release so that her official reason for the firing could be made public. I wish I knew where it stands now.

    The accused apparently has a low IQ and maybe classified as "mentally difficient" and the pictures he was viewing came from his email attachment, which is why the library filters didn't block it. My understanding is that they were pictures of young boys undressed, but not engaged in sexual acts. That doesn't make it any better, but it wasn't the really hard core stuff.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    This story was all over the news around here when it happened. I don't know what the status is on Brenda's complaint now. Of course Brenda's supervisor that fired her claimed that there were "other reasons" for the firing. She was on probationary status at the time because she had worked there less than 6 months. However, I believe she had worked in that capacity some years ago, so this was a rehire. The last I heard Brenda had signed a release so that her official reason for the firing could be made public. I wish I knew where it stands now.

    The accused apparently has a low IQ and maybe classified as "mentally difficient" and the pictures he was viewing came from his email attachment, which is why the library filters didn't block it. My understanding is that they were pictures of young boys undressed, but not engaged in sexual acts. That doesn't make it any better, but it wasn't the really hard core stuff.
    Thank you, Pepper. I knew there was more to this story. It all makes a lot more sense to me now.


  11. #11
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,985
    April 28, 2008

    Ropes, candy found in porn suspect's car
    Librarian notified police when man accessed X-rated files online

    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=62867


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    April 28, 2008

    Ropes, candy found in porn suspect's car
    Librarian notified police when man accessed X-rated files online

    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=62867
    Case closed.


  13. #13

    I disagree with this case

    It is a shame that she was fired, but I disagree as to why. The level of documentation of emails, tasks, daily activities is consistent with when the library is concerned with the person's performance. I worked at a state university for a while and we had to do this for an employee so that we would have a case if we let her go right at the 6 month mark when the probabtion period would have ended. The documentation they have on her is countless little things and some not so little things such as filling in time cards wrong. The consistent trail along with the 5 of 10 at her 3 month review leads me to believe she is twisting the case. Many people that apply for government positions and are let go before their probation period put up a huge stink, seek publicity, sue, etc. I think she would have been fired even if she weren't a whistle blower. The law says that you can't be fired for being a whistle blower. It does not say that if you are a whistle blower you are immune from being fired when a case has been built against you for 5 months before the incident.

    By the way, i agree she did the right thing, and that many libraries may be too lienent. I think that the library system needs to be evaluated. However, I think the issue that should be evaluated is whether they allow porn to be viewed and how they handle it. I think the library built a strong case against the fired librarian long before the incident.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Small town in Tennessee
    Posts
    338
    I'm sorry but I think this is crazy.
    It would be one thing if it were just porn, even if it were porn of a very graphic nature. But we're talking CHILD PORN. Which is illegal. I think the librarian did the right thing in calling the police. It would be one thing if the library knew somebody was viewing porn but didn't know who, but when he's caught in the act? Yes, please arrest the pervert.

    She shouldn't have been fired.
    Maybe somebody should look closer at her supervisor who says "this happens more often than you think."


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Small town in Tennessee
    Posts
    338
    At our local library the computers for adults and a seperate section of computers for the kids which do have blocks.

    My problem isn't that somebody might view porn this was child porn we are talking about. I don't see how anybody can defend this.


    Also, at our library, there is a sign posted for the adults if you're going to be viewing material of a graphic nature to ask for some kind of screen covering guard, not exactly sure what that is.


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •