781 users online (110 members and 671 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA - Deanna Platoni, 25, Rainier, 12 Oct 1980

A friend wanted me to ask about a murder that happened when he was growing up.

A mother in Ohio, 1970s (earlyish) was killed in her home with her 3-year old son present. It was never solved.

I'm curious if anyone recalls this case or any more details like her name, location, etc.

He didn't have any more information but he was wondering if I could find more so he could re-acquaint himself with the details.

Derek

I live in Ohio and there is something about this case that sounds vaguely familiar but I can't quite remember for sure. I looked around just a little online to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. I'll look a little more in depth later this week when I have more time. Where did your friend grow up in Ohio? Did the murder happen around the general area he grew up in? Thanks.
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
    I live in Ohio and there is something about this case that sounds vaguely familiar but I can't quite remember for sure. I looked around just a little online to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. I'll look a little more in depth later this week when I have more time. Where did your friend grow up in Ohio? Did the murder happen around the general area he grew up in? Thanks.
    I'm not sure, and he's not either, he was somewhat of a military brat, single dad, and they moved around a lot. His dad has since passed away. He remembers this happening when he was 5 or 6 near their house at the time. I wish I had more info but if you can find anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

Mother's maiden name may have been Shively.

Talisman is offline Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregnant. Kiowa proverb
    littlehorn,

Does this have anything to do with the other case you are working on here in cold cases? Just wondering because of the military connection.

Thanks.

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars."
    from Desiderata by Max Ehrlmann

It doesn't sound familiar to me either. If it was the Cleveland area the papers would have been the Plain Dealer, or The Cleveland Press. (not sure about the last one, but I think that's right).

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
    It doesn't sound familiar to me either. If it was the Cleveland area the papers would have been the Plain Dealer, or The Cleveland Press. (not sure about the last one, but I think that's right).
    Talisman -- no, oddly enough, there is a military connection in this, but it's not related to the other case. My friend is not very internet-savvy but he's interested in this case and he heard from me what I was doing on the other case.

I have a name: Deanna Platoni, died either late September or early October 1980, she was 25 years old. Not sure where she died but it was within a car ride from PA. She had a 3-year old son, Angelo, and a husband, Angelo also.

Does that help anyone with remembering?

Quote Originally Posted by littlehorn View Post
    Talisman -- no, oddly enough, there is a military connection in this, but it's not related to the other case. My friend is not very internet-savvy but he's interested in this case and he heard from me what I was doing on the other case.

I have a name: Deanna Platoni, died either late September or early October 1980, she was 25 years old. Not sure where she died but it was within a car ride from PA. She had a 3-year old son, Angelo, and a husband, Angelo also.

Does that help anyone with remembering?
    Wow..I could find next to nothing on this. The only thing I found was from a website of the McKenzie Road Baptist Church where Deanna's husband, Angelo, donated a piano in her memory in September, 1980. The church was in Olympia, Washington. Maybe she was originally from Ohio and lived in Washington at the time of her death. It said that she was a faithful member of the church.

In the newspaper archives I could only her mother's obituary when she died in 2002 and it mentioned Deanna's name. I didn't buy the article to see if there was anything else said about Deanna.

I'll try looking further in the archives of papers from Ohio and the State of Washington later on.

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Wow..I could find next to nothing on this. The only thing I found was from a website of the McKenzie Road Baptist Church where Deanna's husband, Angelo, donated a piano in her memory in September, 1980. The church was in Olympia, Washington. Maybe she was originally from Ohio and lived in Washington at the time of her death. It said that she was a faithful member of the church.

In the newspaper archives I could only her mother's obituary when she died in 2002 and it mentioned Deanna's name. I didn't buy the article to see if there was anything else said about Deanna.

I'll try looking further in the archives of papers from Ohio and the State of Washington later on.
    Thanks MaryBeth! I know she was from Pennsylvania from her SSN prefix; also she is buried in Millheim, PA, between her mother and some other relatives.

The SSN death index is decidedly sketchy about where she died and even when; it only lists a month and year, no date, and there is no record of last residence.

WA - Deanna Platoni, 25, Rainier, 12 October 1980

Hi,

Looking for information about the murder of Deanna Platoni in Washington State, Rainier or Tenino County, on 10/14/1980. Can't seem to find anything about who did it or about whether they caught him.

Thanks,

Derek

I looked in the newspaperarchives.com and couldn't find anything. I checked papers for the State of Washington and Pennsylvania. There were very few papers on there from Washington and they only went up to 1977. But I couldn't find anything in the PA papers either. The only thing I could find was the obit for Deanna's mom in 2002, but like I said on the other thread, you have to buy the article. I even looked under Angelo Platoni in the archives and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it's in some WA newspaper from 1980 but I don't think anything is online for that year. Sorry!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

I looked in the newspaperarchives.com and couldn't find anything. I checked papers for the State of Washington and Pennsylvania. There were very few papers on there from Washington and they only went up to 1977. But I couldn't find anything in the PA papers either. The only thing I could find was the obit for Deanna's mom in 2002, but like I said on the other thread, you have to buy the article. I even looked under Angelo Platoni in the archives and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it's in some WA newspaper from 1980 but I don't think anything is online for that year. Sorry!
    Thanks for checking. I checked also and I came up with the same results. I even called out to the county sheriff near where she was murdered and he had no recollection. I suppose it was solved and considered closed so they just moved on with things.

Derek

Social Security Death Index...

...she is buried in Millheim, PA, between her mother and some other relatives.

The SSN death index is decidedly sketchy about where she died and even when; it only lists a month and year, no date, and there is no record of last residence.
    Here is exactly what the Social Securtiy Death index lists for her:

Name DEANNA PLATONI
    Birth 19 Nov 1954
    Death Oct 1980
    Last Residence (not specified)
    Last Benefit (none specified)
    SSN 207-44-0144
    Issuedby the state of Pennsylvania

Platoni was obviously her married name, as she is the only person by that name with a Pennsylvania SSN. It would appear from the other 36 Platoni listings in the SSDI that her husband's family was from New York, New Jersey, or possibly from Massachussetts.

The SSDI has death listings going back only as early as about 1952, and those early entries were only for persons who were receiving Some sort of Social Security benefit, or whose family started receiving benefits based on the deceased's Social Security contributions.

Later, anyone with a SSN would be entered, but it is only in the past ten years or so that all of the data entry lines have been completed on a more accurate basis. Prior to the mid 1990's only month and year of death were listed. Now the complete death date is put into the index.

Since you know the name of the cemetery, try contacting them for more information. They might even have a copy of the death certificate in their files. They can also tell you what church and funeral home was involved, and you might also contact them. The Cemetery can tell you who owns any remaining burial spaces in their family plot.

County Coroner's Records

Thanks for checking. I checked also and I came up with the same results. I even called out to the county sheriff near where she was murdered and he had no recollection. I suppose it was solved and considered closed so they just moved on with things.

Derek
    If it was considered a murder, then the County Coroner would have had to make a public record report. Also, a death certificate stating cause of death would be available through State Vital Records.

Found this on my Ancestry site:
    It's a start for a bit more sleuthing...

"Deanna Plantoni was found murdered in Washington State between Rainia and Tanino. She is buried in Milheim Pennsylvania at Fairview cemetery beside her grandfather Merlin Shivley. She was born on November 19 1954 and was married to Angelo F Platoni II at the time of her death.

She also had a son Angelo F. Platoni III who may have been in the house aged 3 or 4 at the time of her murder and was found wandering outside before police came to investigate. This case is considered by many to be closed and the killer was apparently found.

Her mother was Nancy Lee Carlton who died in 2002 in Virginia. In 1953 she was married to Dean Alan Brungart who was as of 2008 living in Pennsylvania. Deanna has an older sister living in Virginia born on January 10 1953. She also has a brother living in Virginia named Richard Shivley.
    Last edited by StarrChance; 06-07-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    Trust Your Instincts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast