Escape by Carolyn Jessop

legallee

Paralegal
Reaction score
I picked this book up yesterday at the local library. I opened it at 3PM and didn't put it down til I completed it at midnight.

If you haven't read this book, it's a great book. It talked alot about the wives of Merril Jessop and how he favored Barbara the most. There was lots of tension and fighting in their family.

It spoke alot about Cathleen as well. She was one of those on TV pleading for the children's return. It spoke about secret coffee meetings the women had where they discussed how poorly they were being treated.

A great book! If you haven't read it, pick it up! It gives alot more detail to their way of life.

I picked this book up yesterday at the local library. I opened it at 3PM and didn't put it down til I completed it at midnight.

If you haven't read this book, it's a great book. It talked alot about the wives of Merril Jessop and how he favored Barbara the most. There was lots of tension and fighting in their family.

It spoke alot about Cathleen as well. She was one of those on TV pleading for the children's return. It spoke about secret coffee meetings the women had where they discussed how poorly they were being treated.

A great book! If you haven't read it, pick it up! It gives alot more detail to their way of life.

I ordered this book on april 7th and still have not gotten it!!! I can't wait to get it though cause I think it will shed some more light!

It will definitely shed some light. These women are slaves! Merril Jessop owned motels too and make Carolyn run one for over a year. (her children weren't allowed to stay there) Cathleen had worked there too! Over 7 years without her children. She begged Merril to let her quit so she could live/be with her children. He refused.

He used to give them $100 for groceries to feed 5 wives and 30 kids per week!

It will definitely shed some light. These women are slaves! Merril Jessop owned motels too and make Carolyn run one for over a year. (her children weren't allowed to stay there) Cathleen had worked there too! Over 7 years without her children. She begged Merril to let her quit so she could live/be with her children. He refused.

He used to give them $100 for groceries to feed 5 wives and 30 kids per week!

It is hard to believe there was not a mutiny. Now is the perfect time for these women to come forward and end this slavery.:furious: I will get the book. Her interviews are very moving. A brave brave woman.:clap:

It is hard to believe there was not a mutiny. Now is the perfect time for these women to come forward and end this slavery.:furious: I will get the book. Her interviews are very moving. A brave brave woman.:clap:
Carolyn stated in an article that if he decided to go out to eat steak at a restaurant then they would all have to make do on even less. In the link thread I posted a link to a photo of him and his wives, Carolyn included. Based on her experience and that of others, it's a sure bet he hasn't changed his ways, nor has his legal wife and they were still abusing women and children at the YFZ. doc says "there's no abuse here," he's full of bull****! IMO

Our local Sunday newspaper has Carolyn Jessop's "Escape" as number 5 on the best-seller list. So, it looks like there's a lot of interest out there in this subject.

I think I read somewhere that Barbara Jessop (Merrils favorite wife and the one who was mean and abusive to the other wives and children) died and is buried @ the ranch. Does someone know this to be true?

I think his first wife is his legal wife (Faunita, I believe was her name) and he was abusive to her because he was forced to marry her as well. He was in love and wanted to marry someone else so he never loved his first wife at all and always resented her. He abused her more than the others. So there were no steak dinners with his first wife. He ate out with Barbara almost daily. I think she is his 2nd wife. She had him wrapped around her finger. He always did what she wanted. She was not a nice person.

not the same Barbara. That took awhile to find! :)

I think this wife's grave is one that exists on the ranch and LE already knew about.

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=149495;article=118200;title=APFN

One of Jeffs' wives, Barbara Ann Barlow, died inside the compound in July 2004 at age 39. But Doyle, whose duties as justice of the peace include investigating deaths, determined she died of cancer as reported by her sister Annette, also married to Jeffs.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2184273&postcount=2

I am reading "Escape" now, and just started it last night. Does anyone know if Carolyn Jessop is now mainstream LDS or if she is a member of any other church?

The Mainstream LDS Church is not very "welcoming" to former FLDS (or polygamists) - they are not allowed to join the LDS Church without a special high level approval - which most do not get. Polygamy gets you an automatic excommunication from the LDS Church.

From what I have read, most of the former Polygamist women who attend Church attend some type of a Christian Church and do not remain "Mormon" once they are "out".

After living in the FLDS World, I doubt the majority of woman who have left have much of a desire to remain in the Mormon Faith - the two (FLDS and LDS) have more similarities than differences and BOTH are Patriarchal and Male Dominated religions.

My Opinion

I am reading "Escape" now, and just started it last night. Does anyone know if Carolyn Jessop is now mainstream LDS or if she is a member of any other church?

I've wondered this too. We've heard of a number of women who've escaped the FLDS and I've wondered if they tend to join the LDS because it does have some familiarity, or does the whole experience with the FLDS sour them towards being affiliated with any denomination, at least for a period of time. Carolyn Jessop only escaped about 5 years ago. Perhaps it's too soon for her to make a decision on religious membership?

The Mainstream LDS Church is not very "welcoming" to former FLDS (or polygamists) - they are not allowed to join the LDS Church without a special high level approval - which most do not get. Polygamy gets you an automatic excommunication from the LDS Church.

From what I have read, most of the former Polygamist women who attend Church attend some type of a Christian Church and do not remain "Mormon" once they are "out".

After living in the FLDS World, I doubt the majority of woman who have left have much of a desire to remain in the Mormon Faith - the two (FLDS and LDS) have more similarities than differences and BOTH are Patriarchal and Male Dominated religions.

My Opinion

That does make sense. I can't see the women who've escaped the FLDS choosing to become a member of a Patriarchal, male dominated religion.

The reason I am curious is because Linda Walker and Flora Jessop appear to be very anti-Mormon, yet as far as I can tell, Carolyn hasn't talked about the regular LDS faith. Since she now lives in Salt Lake City, I thought she might have joined the LDS.

I know that LDS would like to distance themselves from FLDS, at least publicly, but there are cases of former FLDS joining LDS.

This man went from FLDS to LDS to "Christian."

http://www.childbrides.org/brian_mackert.html

The reason I am curious is because Linda Walker and Flora Jessop appear to be very anti-Mormon, yet as far as I can tell, Carolyn hasn't talked about the regular LDS faith. Since she now lives in Salt Lake City, I thought she might have joined the LDS.

I know that LDS would like to distance themselves from FLDS, at least publicly, but there are cases of former FLDS joining LDS.

This man went from FLDS to LDS to "Christian."

http://www.childbrides.org/brian_mackert.html

When Carolyn escaped the FLDS, her brother, who lives in Salt Lake City, came to her rescue, meeting her and the children a few miles away from Colorado City. He took them home to Salt Lake City where Carolyn got some public assistance to get on her feet. I think that may be one reason why Carolyn lives in Salt Lake City. She's got at least one brother there, and perhaps other family.

I am nearly through with this book, but there is an inconsistency that I must point out.

When Carolyn Jessop appeared on TV interviews, I specifically remember her telling that Merril "broke the children" by holding their heads under water until they were too exhausted to cry anymore.

This act was never mentioned in her book. Since she talks freely of all Merril's transgressions, I can't imagine that she would omit this act of cruelty, if it did happen. It just makes me wonder what else she left out in telling her story.

I am nearly through with this book, but there is an inconsistency that I must point out.

When Carolyn Jessop appeared on TV interviews, I specifically remember her telling that Merril "broke the children" by holding their heads under water until they were too exhausted to cry anymore.

This act was never mentioned in her book. Since she talks freely of all Merril's transgressions, I can't imagine that she would omit this act of cruelty, if it did happen. It just makes me wonder what else she left out in telling her story.
Quite a bit I imagine. Debbie Palmer and others have had horrendous situations happen to them and have told the world, but I'm sure there are things that were so humiliating or horrendous to them personally that they won't talk about them, that or by talking would put someone else at risk who is still "in."

One thing that I learned from this book that I didn't know before is that the FLDS does not prohibit liquor, coffee, tea and colas, though the mainstream LDS does prohibit those things.

One thing that I learned from this book that I didn't know before is that the FLDS does not prohibit liquor, coffee, tea and colas, though the mainstream LDS does prohibit those things.
That's very interesting...
I've wondered exactly what the LDS do that increases the average lifespan in Utah. It can't be only not smoking. So, of course, the FLDS drop the "hot" drinks from their religion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back