1047 users online (214 members and 833 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Government Report: Who Lives And Who Dies

Government Report Answers Who Lives, Who Dies in Flu Pandemic

Now, an influential group of physicians has drafted a grimly specific list of recommendations for which patients wouldn't be treated. They include the very elderly, seriously hurt trauma victims, severely burned patients and those with severe dementia.

~snip~

To prepare, hospitals should designate a triage team with the Godlike task of deciding who will and who won't get lifesaving care, the task force wrote. Those out of luck are the people at high risk of death and a slim chance of long-term survival. But the recommendations get much more specific, and include:

_People older than 85.

_Those with severe trauma, which could include critical injuries from car crashes and shootings.

_Severely burned patients older than 60.

_Those with severe mental impairment, which could include advanced Alzheimer's disease.

_Those with a severe chronic disease, such as advanced heart failure, lung disease or poorly controlled diabetes.

~snip~

If followed to a tee, such rules could exclude care for the poorest, most disadvantaged citizens who suffer disproportionately from chronic disease and disability, he said. While health care rationing will be necessary in a mass disaster, "there are some real ethical concerns here."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354135,00.html
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

It really doesn't surprise me one bit except it has been written down now for all to see.

I guess that is true, but it certainly is frightening to see it.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Yes, it sure is hard to see in print. While it sounds logical in the case of a mass critical care event...it's hard to take in thinking that one of these cases might be your loved one.

"If a mass casualty critical care event were to occur tomorrow, many people with clinical conditions that are survivable under usual health care system conditions may have to forgo life-sustaining interventions owing to deficiencies in supply or staffing," the report states.

Sad but it is only common sense.
    Also people need to start packing away certain meds and water for the "just in case".

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    Sad but it is only common sense.
    Also people need to start packing away certain meds and water for the "just in case".
    No, I am not going to live my life that way. I refuse to squirrel meds and food/water in a cellar or room somewhere and worry about the "what if" factor. I think it is a sad way to live and not my style at all. I don't think it is healthy either.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    No, I am not going to live my life that way. I refuse to squirrel meds and food/water in a cellar or room somewhere and worry about the "what if" factor. I think it is a sad way to live and not my style at all. I don't think it is healthy either.
    I see what you're saying, but in my experience it doesn't seem that way. I have food and water for a little while for my family, and it makes me feel free and helps me to NOT worry about the future. We've even had to dip into it a few times, during times when our paycheck didn't make it far enough, or bad weather.

I just didn't want you to think that everyone who has food in storage is paranoid or unhealthy
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    I see what you're saying, but in my experience it doesn't seem that way. I have food and water for a little while for my family, and it makes me feel free and helps me to NOT worry about the future. We've even had to dip into it a few times, during times when our paycheck didn't make it far enough, or bad weather.

I just didn't want you to think that everyone who has food in storage is paranoid or unhealthy

Exactly!
    I just love when people think it will never happen to them. I remember watching Hurricane Katrina victims begging for help, stuck in their homes without food or water or meds!

The safety of my family comes first. We have enough can goods and water for the "just in case" of life. If that makes me paranoid
    Call me crazy!

So a lot of the politicians are |in advanced age and who knows how their health is, so in the event of an emergency, in all due process, they would be on the list.

But me thinks that exceptions would be made for the rich and powerful while the poor and vulnerable are deemed to be `disposable`HUMANS.

Are we expecting some sort of flu pandemic? After reading this thread I feel like I've been living under a rock!

I did all the water, batteries, canned food and extra OTC meds when the end of "life as we know it" was predicted for the year 2000. Boy, did the kids and hubby make fun of me. Now I just kinda keep us well stocked so it doesn't look like I'm paranoid.

As far the health care rationing, oh my, I hope it never gets to that point.
    Last edited by Blondieskatz; 05-05-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: sp

This is along the same lines of how things are handled in the battle field. It makes sense, even though it seems cruel. Resources have to be managed well for those that can make it and not wasted on those that have little to no chance.

I read ERNursey at blogspot every once in a while and it's helped me to gain perspective in the event this situation were to arise.

Well, my husband will be dead and so will my 94 year old still wonderful and sweet uncle with nothing wrong with him except for Alzheimers.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    So a lot of the politicians are |in advanced age and who knows how their health is, so in the event of an emergency, in all due process, they would be on the list.

But me thinks that exceptions would be made for the rich and powerful while the poor and vulnerable are deemed to be `disposable`HUMANS.
    Yes, this is what bothers me, too. The people in power will save themselves and their relatives above others. The hospital staffers could do the same and the list goes on...
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

I imagine if a real pandemic ever hits there are going to be a lot of people dying with no real medical care and it won't just be the sickest or oldest.

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    How sad is this. Doctors playing God.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast