1237 users online (229 members and 1008 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Child's Autism Linked to Parents' Mental Illness

I found this article interesting. While it makes sense, I hope they do further study.

In another sign pointing to an inherited component to autism, a study released on Monday found that having a schizophrenic parent or a mother with psychiatric problems roughly doubled a child's risk of being autistic.

"Our research shows that mothers and fathers diagnosed with schizophrenia were about twice as likely to have a child diagnosed with autism," said Julie Daniels of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, who worked on the study.

"We also saw higher rates of depression and personality disorders among mothers, but not fathers," she said in a statement.

More at link:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24465288

Wow.
    (Without getting into the debate of vaccines causing autism)

Personally, I have a cousin who is bipolar and 2 out of 3 of her kids have autism. These poor kids have no stability and with her as a mom they have no hope of getting the proper treatment.
    Her mom (who married my dad's brother) is also suffering from mental illness. Totally genetic, I'm sure, the whole family is kind of "off".

I always knew it was my fault!

I think the cause of Autism is both genetic and environmental and that is why it has been so hard for researchers to pinpoint the exact cause of the illness. It looks like forward progress is being made, but only because statistics are climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Really....same here....Nothing like giving my ex more ammo with this news!!

All joking aside, I do see how this could play a part in autism and all other disorders. Sadly, we have bi-polar in 3 generations (Grandfather/his son/son's daughter) which started outside of our family but is now in our family.

There is no one answer to what causes autism.

(in a loving way!!)

How can they tell if it is the disorder or the meds that might cause the autism?

I saw a compelling study on Vitamin D deficiency and an autism link-if you consider the increase in people staying out of the sun and using sunscreens the last 15 years, it also makes sense that there seems to be this "explosion."

Hmmm...interesting. I can see how it could be a small factor tho.

We have reason to believe that my ex-sil is Bi-Polar. We do know his father is...as it has been well documented.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I am not aware of anyone in our family with any mental illnesses, nor has that been a factor with any of the other autistic kids I know.

I think the jury is still out on the causes.

It seems like they have a new reason every other day for autism. I sure hope they can find out more

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    (in a loving way!!)
    I knew I'd get slapped, but I thought it would be verbally! LOL There has to be some humor in this. Remember back in the 50's and 60's it WAS blamed on 'cold' mothers....

pixies

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    I knew I'd get slapped, but I thought it would be verbally! LOL There has to be some humor in this. Remember back in the 50's and 60's it WAS blamed on 'cold' mothers....

pixies
    I still have times were I blame myself for my sons mental illnesses. And when I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar I had my tubes tied so I couldn't "give it" to another child.

Just finding out in the last few months that my 9 yr old likely has Asperger's.
    Interesting link to depression or mental issues.... Depression runs in my family -- yep I have been treated myself......

Personally, from what I've studied thus far, I think it is partly a societal evolution of the right and left brain learning to work together......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast