Myanmar death toll could top 10,000

Meduza

Reaction score
YANGON, Myanmar - The death toll from a devastating cyclone in Myanmar could reach more than 10,000 in the low-lying area where the storm wreaked the most havoc, the country's foreign minister warned Monday.

Tropical Cyclone Nargis hit the Southeast Asian country, also known as Burma, early Saturday with winds of up to 120 mph. It knocked out electricity to the country's largest city, Yangon, and left hundreds of thousands of people homeless.

Some sought refuge at Buddhist monasteries while others lined up Monday to buy candles, which had doubled in price, and water since the lack of electricity-driven pumps had left most households dry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080506/ap_on_re_as/myanmar_cyclone;_ylt=Ag3dV5xkHljiu0wTr3Dbi2Ws0NUE

US: Myanmar junta failed to warn people on cyclone

US First Lady Laura Bush accused Myanmar's military rulers Monday of failing to warn their citizens in time about a killer cyclone and pressed the junta to accept US aid in the disaster's wake.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008050...ercycloneus;_ylt=AvZJ9sqz6nqJh8tNWLjj6Pms0NUE

I kinda have a problem with the aid offered. I am not an illegal immigrant, my only kid is over the age of 21, so I don't qualify for any medical assistance in my state, let alone any food stamps or any of that other so called aid. They wont even provide us a box to live in...lol Not to worry, I live with my folks now at the old age of 43 and cant contribute because they make to much for me to qualify. Well so the state thinks. No jobs, no public transportation, gas is unreal and on dial up for the record with a obsolete pc.

I guess my point is, if we actually have that much money, keep it in the states. I am so tired of seeing us overlook our problems and write blank checks to other countries. Got to say no more at some point, ya know?

I have been following this and i just cannot believe how the number grows.Just horrible.

This is just horrible. Such a loss of life, and so many homeless and missing their loved ones who may have been taken by the cyclone. Prayers for the people Burma.

The number is over 15,000 now.
I think if we have the money to help them we should have helped the victims of Katrina better. Don't forget the ones that died because help did not come and then little was done.
I am not unsympathetic but we did not take care of our own then and the world heard about it. If we send so much overseas it is to look good. Not that our government cares about anyone except how it is percieved. Give the money to our own and get them out of crime and poverty.

God how dreadful. The sad thing is there is so much wealth in the world that the basic needs of each and every person could be taken care of rather than as we are now where wealth is so crudely distributed to where it's not needed.

I understand people looking at foreign aid and saying 'take care of home first' but good lord these poor people in Myanmar have nothing now and need aid from anyone who'll give it.

I was reading about this last night. Sadly, the numbers will still continue to grow I imagine. It is so sad.

I have heard their own government is leary (sp) of foreign help but is letting some agencies in. WTH? (That seems to be my favorite phrase today!) Who knows if those poor people will even get the monetary aid other countries send with idiots like that running their government.

**gasping** at 22,000 dead :(

I have been following this and i just cannot believe how the number grows.Just horrible.

I remember the tsunami and i couldn't believe how fast numbers grew then. :(

My prayers to everyone effected by this.It is so sad.

On the news last night they were talking about the aid that was needed ect.I believe they said a gallon of water was like 900.00 us dollars :eek: That is just crazy.I hope the gov't officals would just let the aid come in.22k people dead and that number will continue to climb if help isn't let in soon

:(

This is so sad. What a tragedy. I heard the death toll on the news this morning and swore I had to have heard it wrong.

That's a completely insane response if ever there was one from a paranoid government :rolleyes:.

I have heard their own government is leary (sp) of foreign help but is letting some agencies in. WTH? (That seems to be my favorite phrase today!) Who knows if those poor people will even get the monetary aid other countries send with idiots like that running their government.

**gasping** at 22,000 dead :(

Hi everyone,

This is so hard to actually comprehend, when I read about even a small number of lives taken at once- major car accidents, flooding, school masacres etc.- I think of how much suffering happened/is happening because of a single event, but this, oh my Lord those poor poor people - children, elderly, women and men.... a very sad time on a a very large scale.:(

Jubie

Initial International Aid to Burma

The US has released US $250,000 in initial emergency aid.

Canada has released $2 million in emergency aid for Burma.

Australia has released $3 million for relief operations in the first month of the crisis.

The European Union has released 2 million euros ($3 million) in initial emergency aid.

France announced it has made 200,000 euros available and would be working with the Red Cross and French aid agencies to help Burma.

The Netherlands' Aid and Development Ministry announced it had released an initial 200,000 euros and said more would be released if it proved necessary.

Norway offered up to 10 million Norwegian kroner ($2 million dollars) in aid.

Germany said it was sending 500,000 euros.

Japan is to give 28 million yen ($266,364) in emergency aid.

Sweden said it would send generators and other equipment through the United Nations.

Thailand donated $100,000 with medicine and ready-to-eat meals from Thai military supplies.

India sent two naval ships containing rice, medicine and temporary tents.

China released $1 million for emergency aid.

Singapore has released $200,000 for initial emergency aid.

</I>
http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=11794

I guess my point is, if we actually have that much money, keep it in the states. I am so tired of seeing us overlook our problems and write blank checks to other countries. Got to say no more at some point, ya know?

have you actually ever lost your home to a natural disaster?
i have... 3 times.

so... yeah, i think that if their own country can't support them, then yes, then we, THE wealthiest nation in the world, should help those who are without shelter right now...

i'm sorry that you are having problems with the gov. right now, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't help a country that is in dire straights.

have you actually ever lost your home to a natural disaster?
i have... 3 times.

so... yeah, i think that if their own country can't support them, then yes, then we, THE wealthiest nation in the world, should help those who are without shelter right now...

I am sorry to hear about your loses due to a natural disaster.
I sure hope you got all the help you have needed..plus some.

We have had several donor meetings here and did not hesitate at 2 million USD initially yesterday.....and willing to give more..
It is water, candles and a handful of rice that is needed now and over the next few days and weeks.
Not much to ask for in my opinion.
From Norway.

Aid arrives in Myanmar as death toll passes 22,000, but worst-hit area still cut off

YANGON, Myanmar: Aid began to trickle into cyclone-ravaged Myanmar late Tuesday but the worst-hit Irrawaddy delta, where nearly 22,000 people perished, was largely cut off from the rest of the world four days after winds, floods and high tidal waves tore through the densely populated region.
With more than 40,000 still missing and as many as 1 million possibly left homeless, the international community was struggling to deliver aid in the military-ruled country, which normally seeks to shut out foreign officials and restricts their access inside the country.
Concerns mounted over the lack of food, water and shelter in the delta as well as diseases spawned by Cyclone Nargis in a country with one of the world's poorest health systems
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/05/06/asia/AS-GEN-Myanmar-Cyclone.php

my son was studying in Myanmar just last year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back