877 users online (181 members and 696 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Thomas Gibson, 2, Glendale, 18 March 1991

I think this is a very sad case. This little boy's face has been familiar to me for a long time. His poster was shown on the Runaway Train video by Soul Asylum.
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...on_thomas.html

This is one of the few murder-with-a-body cases where I'm not at all sure the convicted killer is guilty. There seems to be a serious paucity of evidence here, and just about anything could have happened to Thomas. From what I've read about the case I'm not even sure he is dead, let alone killed by his father.

meggilyweggily, I am curious about your thoughts on Thomas' case. I'd always thought the father probably had a hand in his disappearance and probable death. I had heard he had a quick and violent temper.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    I am surprised they were able to indict him much less get a conviction with basically no physical evidence. It sounds like it was all based on circumstansial and heresay.
    However, I tend to think he most likely did do it and I think the police assumption that the bullet travelled through the cat and accidently killed Thomas seems very likely but there is no evidence to support that theory.
    To be honest I cannot have much sympathy for the guy. I don't have much sympathy for people who shoot innocent animals who are simply trying to survive. It sounds like cat shooting was a normal activity for him and that is vile to me and evidence that he is not a good person. I think people who are mean and violent towards animals are probably very likely to be violent towards people.

I thought I read somewhere that his body was found, I guess I was confused. I could have sworn I read that his body was found near their old home. That's what I get for believing the rumor mill.

I too remember his picture from the Soul Asylum video. I'm wondering a few things here, if the father did indeed shoot Thomas by accident, there would have been blood near the dead cat. I'm guessing any blood found was not tested because they would have been able to tell if it was human or not, no? The father probably could have done it, I don't have any love for people who shoot animals either. I'm not willing to jump to a conclusion quite yet, but I'm on gaia's wavelength there.

The mother and daughter changing their story could go both ways. It could be they were afraid of the father and stuck to the story about the strangers until they were away from him. It could also be that the second story was concocted after the parents split up. Maybe mom didn't want dad having visitation or something. Stranger stories have been made up during divorces, I'm sure. I just don't know here. I don't think little Thomas is alive today, though.
    "When I think of heaven, deliver me in a black winged bird." A. Duritz

Talisman is offline Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregnant. Kiowa proverb
    So sad, I had forgotten about this little guy. Didn't Unsolved Mysteries run this story? IIRC after watching that I felt like the father was guilty. Didn't they do a search with dogs ?

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars."
    from Desiderata by Max Ehrlmann

Unsolved Mysteries did run a show on this case. I remember watching it when I was a child.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    Unsolved Mysteries did run a show on this case. I remember watching it when I was a child.
    I remember too. Remember how some of the witness always sounded guilty somehow? I always thought the dad was one of those guilty-sounding witnesses.

Is there not a law against shooting stray cats? Something doesn't add up to his story.

I live out in the country and there are plenty of stray cats running around, some dogs as well. Many people regard them as pests and shoot them on sight, the same way people fumigate for cockroaches and stuff. I've never heard of any law against it but if there was a law I don't think most people would stop shooting.

This case blows my mind, I do remember seeing the Unsolved Mysteries take on it many times. I believe the father did it, either not knowing but then him being a cop (am I right on that?) You would think he would say something, so when he didn't he may of been abusing him. Very sad that this child is missing/dead because of his own father. I have read on many sites that people who abuse animals shooting, burning ect. Are usually ones that lead lives of killing people.
    ~Michelle

Thomas has now been missing for 20 years.

I hope they can find out what happened to him. Such a cutie!
    ~Mekena Sarah Gracie Carmichael~
    2007-2011
    West Elgin's Precious Angel

What kind of father shoots stray cats on the family property while his 2 year old son is playing outside? (Yeah, what kind of father shoots stray cats at all, but especially with a young child playing outside.)

A trained deputy should be aware of the dangers of stray bullets, and should be intelligent enough to know that 2 year olds don't sit still when playing outside. They're going to get up and run around, and potentially be in the path of those bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by sls314 View Post
    What kind of father shoots stray cats on the family property while his 2 year old son is playing outside? (Yeah, what kind of father shoots stray cats at all, but especially with a young child playing outside.)

A trained deputy should be aware of the dangers of stray bullets, and should be intelligent enough to know that 2 year olds don't sit still when playing outside. They're going to get up and run around, and potentially be in the path of those bullets.
    I 100% agree. People who work with guns should understand the ramifications of using guns. And who goes for a 'jog around his property' and carries a handgun with them?
    ~Mekena Sarah Gracie Carmichael~
    2007-2011
    West Elgin's Precious Angel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast