1203 users online (236 members and 967 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 22

~Please continue here~

The last thread can be found here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836

Simon Heffer: McCann-haters 'lowest of the low'

I'll start off with a short piece by 'Daily Telegraph' Deputy Editor Simon Heffer on Saturday (3 May):

===============

McCann haters - the lowest of the low

by Simon Heffer:

Just when one thinks oneís capacity for shock is exhausted, one reads some of the charming, expletive-rich comments sent to Kate and Gerry McCann in the last year since their daughter Madeleine evaporated in Portugal. I know some nutters are convinced they killed her, which I am equally convinced is balderdash: but what shocks me is that even those who accept that someone else abducted her cannot resist delving into the still-open wound the McCanns have, and attacking them for their supposed negligence on that evening last May.

I try to envisage the sense of smug satisfaction these people have when the letter is posted or the send button pressed on the email: but, despite a long study of human degeneracy, I simply canít.
    UNQUOTE

--------------------

Here's a few points about that article, unfortunately representative of so many that have appeared in the British press over the past few days:

1. Notice the reference to 'supposed negligence'. A typical media minimisation of the seriousness of the McCanns' negligence in going out drinking and leaving three young children on their own. Mr Heffer might like to consider what the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children say about such a practice on their website. They say: "Never leave young children on their own"

2. McCann-sceptics i.e. those who question the McCanns' version of events, are transformed, suddenly, by Mr Heffer, into 'McCann-haters'. I doubt if any of the hundreds on this Forum who genuinely question the abduction could be described as 'McCann-haters'

3. Mr Heffer relies on *one* nasty e-mail received by the McCanns, carefully selected by the McCanns and their media advisers to cause maximum revulsion

4. Those who think one of the McCanns might have killed Madeleine - a possibility which can by no means be ruled out - are referred to as 'nutters' - a term used by other media to attack McCann-sceptics

5. Mr Heffer is clearly unaware of the number of times those who have harmed or killed their own children or somehow been responsible for their deaths have cried 'abduction', including a number in the past 12 months alone, like Baby Grace and the 'baby in the attic'

6. He accepts the abduction claim without question

7. Despite his robust defence of free speech on many other occasions when he objects to attempts to silence certain views, he does not seem to accept that, in a free society, where a person claims 'abduction' but there are many contra-indications showing that something far worse may have happened, people are fully entitled to ask questions.

With such universal condemnation of McCann-sceptics in the British press, it appears like a gross heresy to question the couple.

No wonder many of those who have serious doubts about the McCanns' abduction claim prefer to keep silent or, at least, remain anonymous

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for posting that Tony!! I have felt that many people have been frightened by the "threats" of the McCanns and their minions. Hints have been dropped that someone might be sued because of expressing their opinions on forums such as this one. I think it is worse in the UK. Here in the states we seem to be less intimidated by the threats.

I always try to be diplomatic in my posts. My feelings about this case and those involved can be much stronger than what I post

I would bet I am not alone....

And we should not forget that Deputy Editor of the Daily Telegraph is very likely personally acquainted with Clarence Mitchell.

The writers of articles just like these, are just Clarence's colleagues and friends, stepping up to back his cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bennett View Post
    I'll start off with a short piece by 'Daily Telegraph' Deputy Editor Simon Heffer on Saturday (3 May):

===============

McCann haters - the lowest of the low

by Simon Heffer:

Just when one thinks one’s capacity for shock is exhausted, one reads some of the charming, expletive-rich comments sent to Kate and Gerry McCann in the last year since their daughter Madeleine evaporated in Portugal. I know some nutters are convinced they killed her, which I am equally convinced is balderdash: but what shocks me is that even those who accept that someone else abducted her cannot resist delving into the still-open wound the McCanns have, and attacking them for their supposed negligence on that evening last May.

Evaporated? What a very interesting choice of word for what happened to Maddy. Very interesting indeed. I doubt that I would ever refer to a missing child as "evaporated". That just really struck me as odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Evaporated? What a very interesting choice of word for what happened to Maddy. Very interesting indeed. I doubt that I would ever refer to a missing child as "evaporated". That just really struck me as odd.

Adj.1.evaporated - drawn off in the form of vapor; "evaporated molecules boil off"

Darn creepy choice of words for a guy who makes his living with words.

Quote Originally Posted by colomom View Post
    Thanks for posting that Tony!! I have felt that many people have been frightened by the "threats" of the McCanns and their minions. Hints have been dropped that someone might be sued because of expressing their opinions on forums such as this one. I think it is worse in the UK. Here in the states we seem to be less intimidated by the threats.

I always try to be diplomatic in my posts. My feelings about this case and those involved can be much stronger than what I post

I would bet I am not alone....
    Colomom, you are not alone.

Definitely not alone.

Although I would never classify myself as a McCann hater, and I don't think anyone here really classifies as one, either.

An inquest into Madeleine's death

An inquest into Madeleine's death?

I would like to raise on this Forum the subject of whether or not the British authorities should convene an inquest into Madeleine's disappearance/possible death. Or perhaps the Portuguese authorities should?

At the moment, there is one very sound practical reason why that cannot happen, namely, there is an ongoing police investigation, and, except in most unusual circumstances, a Coroner will not convene an inquest while the police are actively pursuing certain lines of enquiry. That is clearly the case with Madeleine.

But suppose, for example, that the PJ decide they cannot pin any charges at all on either the McCanns or any of their 'Tapas 9' friends. Suppose they have no body. Suppose they cannot prove how Madeleine died. Suppose they cannot even prove that the parents have hidden or disposed of the body, nor even that they have interfered with or perverted the course of justice in their conduct since Madeleine's 'disappearance'.

Then how does Madeleine get justice?

Surely, through an inquest.

Is there a case for holding an inquest if there is no body?

Certainly.

Remember the missing British canoeist? The Coroner didn't even wait a year, held an inquest and concluded that he was missing, presumed drowned. The verdict was either an 'accidental death' verdict or an 'open verdict', or maybe 'misadventure', I think. Reasonable under all the circumstances - with a grieiving, distraught wife shedding tears for her missing - presumed dead - husband, no doubt.

But then he turned up, five years later, having apparently bought a nice little house with his wife in Panama! The wife was no longer grieving and distraught!

But it proves my point that an inquest can be held in the absence of a body.

Would it be held in Portugal or in the United Kingdom?

That is a question that I cannot answer.

Can anyone else shed light on this question?

I have researched this a little on the Net - and noted that a lot of countries hold inquests, or their equivalent, after a person has been missing at least one year or, in some countries, after just 6 months.

If there is to be a trial, then an inquest must await the outcome of a trial, of course.

JUSTICE FOR MADELEINE.

Via an inquest, if necessary - and if all else fails

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question would be jurisdiction, wouldn't it?

I would think so Texana. The Portugese could hold one and ask the English to participate, but I don't think the English would hold one. I could be wrong, as I know nothing about inquests. But there was no crime committed on English soil, so I don't see what they would hold an inquest on.

Who did the inquest on Princess Diana?

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    And we should not forget that Deputy Editor of the Daily Telegraph is very likely personally acquainted with Clarence Mitchell.

The writers of articles just like these, are just Clarence's colleagues and friends, stepping up to back his cause.
    Either that, or paid pimps for the McCanns.

Jurisdiction on British deaths abroad

Salem wrote: "But there was no crime committed on English soil, so I don't see what they would hold an inquest on...Who did the inquest on Princess Diana?"

REPLY: Princess Diana met her death on an underpass in Paris, France. The inquest, 10 years later, was held in London, England, U.K. The British Coroners' Courts most certainly have jurisdiction to hold inquests on sudden and unexplained deaths or 'disappearances' abroad.

I think it must be the same in the U.S. and Canada?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Tony Bennett; 05-07-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Add query about inquest jurisdiction in U.S. & Canada

This may have been posted on the last thread (I didn't check).

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...,00.html?f=rss

Murat Happy For Madeleine Reconstruction

British ex-pat Robert Murat says he will happily take part in a reconstruction of the night Madeleine McCann disappeared if asked to do so by Portuguese police.
    To me, that sounds like a person with nothing to hide.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast