WI - Caleb Thiel, 2, suffocated by mom, Neenah, 5 May 2008 *Insanity*

lisag

Former Member
Reaction score
NEENAH — A woman accused of suffocating her 2-year-old son early Monday told police she heard voices telling her to sacrifice him while she was reading the Bible.

After smothering the boy with her hands, Brenda Thiel lay with him for 15 minutes, then went outside and smoked two cigarettes before going back in and telling her mother what she had done, according to search warrant records filed Tuesday in Winnebago County Circuit Court

More at link:
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pb.../APC0101/805070561&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

I feel the urge to..... Nah. Too easy.

What a :behindbar

:furious: Oh yeah what the voices are telling me to do to her right now don't even compare to what she did to her baby.

I hope some voice tells another prisoner to beat this evil woman to death...but! That would be a bad thing to wish for so I'm not gonna say it aloud.. LOL.:rolleyes:

I don't think she's evil, just very, very mentally ill. Prayers for this poor, sweet baby.

Mentally ill and evil do not compare. She needs help and she will get it while remaining away from society where she belongs. May her baby rest in peace.

"Voices" tell us to do good all the time.Everytime you help your neighbor, or donate money to a good charity.
Some call it your conscious others call it their soul...whatever it was this lady did not have it.

Do I think she is evil? YES! Lots of people have mental illnesses but they do not kill their kids. I know it happens and while I have pity for her, she should never be out in society again, if that is not possible, I pray she can never have another child.

She was probably OFF her meds too. I am betting that is the case here.

"Voices" tell us to do good all the time.Everytime you help your neighbor, or donate money to a good charity.
Some call it your conscious others call it their soul...whatever it was this lady did not have it.

Do I think she is evil? YES! Lots of people have mental illnesses but they do not kill their kids. I know it happens and while I have pity for her, she should never be out in society again, if that is not possible, I pray she can never have another child.

She was probably OFF her meds too. I am betting that is the case here.

People with mental illnesses don't do lots of things, doesn't mean they are not mentally ill. Of course she needs to be kept away from society.

It's true that the voices never say "Take a meal to that homeless family" or "Donate money to charity."
Imho, the title of this thread is misleading. Psychosis is very real symptom of a variety of mental disorders. Unfortunately. And while there has been no significant correlation between psychosis and violence in the past, that trend has changed a great deal. Not sure what is causing it. What I do know is that the theme in the majority of cases involving delusional thought processes and violence seems to have a common thread: good v evil. The Andrea Yates case is but one example. Lashaun Harris is another.

There is also a case that did not make headline news. It happened some time ago and involved a woman who stabbed her 2-year-old son to death bc she thought his father was satan and that her son had been possessed by a demon. The woman was found NGRI, btw, and remains in a secure hospital for the criminally insane. That I know, she will likely never be released. Are these people evil? No. Are they severely mentally ill? I think so. Are they dangerous? Again, I think so. That is, until we can find a way to ensure they do not go off their meds, or we can find a way to modify their delusional thought process in the event that they do go off their meds.

I don't think she's evil, just very, very mentally ill. Prayers for this poor, sweet baby.

Absolutely!
Post partum psychosis is a very real condition and not IMO, one that should be mocked.

Some call it your conscious others call it their soul...whatever it was this lady did not have it.....

There is a distinct difference between the internal consciousness that makes you decide you ought to do something and the voices in your head. I had it explained to me in great detail by someone who has heard voices in his head all of his life. Recently the voices are saying mean things and he believes they are real people getting into his head and trying to mess with him.

His particular brand of nuts is interesting to me, but he's very clear about the difference in voices, intents and how it's not something like an idea or a concious.

I used to think voices in the head were radio waves or lies. Now I think they are a chemical imbalance or whatever causes psychosis.

Thiel heard these voices in her dreams. She wasn't sure why she suffocated her son. "Little Boy. Do The Job". That's what the voices in her dreams told her. I wonder if anyone else knew she was having these dreams or if she showed any symptoms of any type of mental illness. I guess if you hear a voice in your dreams and act on it then it's an actual audible hallucination? This is just so sad all around. Also for her daughter.http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=8281596&nav=51s6

I'm not a good person to ask as I feel sympathy for both woman. Perhaps because the woman in this thread survived and the woman in the other thread took her own life.

i wonder what kind of meds she was ON? a few years ago after i had serious surgery and was very bummed out my doctor put me on an SSRI, and i got really evil urges to jump off a bridge, hang myself, and harm others. god didn't tell me or anything. i just wanted to DO IT. i was also able to recognize that these urges were pretty scary and went off the drugs.

it's pretty freaky when you feel like you need to hurt yourself or others. it is just an 'urge'. like an obsessive compulsive feeling. and you KNOW it's wrong and you are SO afraid of losing control and actually going through with it. it was an experience i would never want to have again.

and i'm glad i haven't. i guess some medications don't agree with some people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back