1239 users online (225 members and 1014 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799

    Massive Sinkhole in Texas

    I started watching this unfold yesterday morning and it was shocking how fast and big this hole grew. As of this morning, the hole bigger than two football fields and 150 feet deep. Years of water being pumped into a salt dome is probably causing this. That's a mining term I am not familiar with. Authorites state as of now, homes are not being threatened. But the entire town of Daisetta, pop. 1000 is built on a salt dome. So residents are very concerned about losing their town. Link, slideshow and video below:

    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6128062

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    WOW quite a sinkhole. Are you sure that is not Daisetta,California?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    WOW quite a sinkhole. Are you sure that is not Daisetta,California?
    It's near Houston. It's hard to imagine losing and entire town. Authorities can't guarantee that won't happen. That happened a couple of decades ago in Utah. A landslide blocked a river and flooded a town that's now a big lake! Thistle, Utah is where it happened.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    It's near Houston. It's hard to imagine losing and entire town. Authorities can't guarantee that won't happen. That happened a couple of decades ago in Utah. A landslide blocked a river and flooded a town that's now a big lake! Thistle, Utah is where it happened.
    This happened down in La Jolla last year or the year before. Of course they didn't lose the town but it was pretty massive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    This happened down in La Jolla last year or the year before. Of course they didn't lose the town but it was pretty massive.
    Cali seems to have had a problem with landslides as well the last few years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    That is SCARY. I hope those people have good insurance.

    They mine salt under Lake Erie on the coast.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    That is SCARY. I hope those people have good insurance.

    They mine salt under Lake Erie on the coast.
    A couple of years ago a small sinkhole opened up near a house here in TN. The insurance company did not cover sinkholes and claimed you had to have special insurance for that, kinda like flood insurance.
    How stupid!!
    The community pulled together and helped the elderly family out of financial ruin but it is still pissy that BIG INSURANCE are kinda like weasles.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    What?! I can see flooded areas (that flood over and over again and people keep rebuilding over and over agin) not being covered, but not covering a sinkhole?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    It used to be mandatory in some parts of Florida to have sinkhole insurance. But it was rescinded and people quit buying it, leaving many in a bad situation. Phoenix is another bad area.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    I can't remember what state a series of special reports was written about regarding what is under everyone's houses, but you'd be shocked. Mine's, fuel pipelines, etc. I came away from that article thinking...I don't wanna know......!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    A couple of years ago a small sinkhole opened up near a house here in TN. The insurance company did not cover sinkholes and claimed you had to have special insurance for that, kinda like flood insurance.
    How stupid!!
    The community pulled together and helped the elderly family out of financial ruin but it is still pissy that BIG INSURANCE are kinda like weasles.
    Yes, insurance companies can really be chit at times. It is all about making money for themselves, NOT about protecting people.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    The latest this morning:

    http://www.click2houston.com/news/16197788/detail.html

    A massive sinkhole that has swallowed everything in its path is continuing to grow, officials told KPRC Local 2 Thursday.

    The sinkhole, which is the size of almost seven football fields, is located in a rural area near FM 770, just north of Daisetta in Liberty County. (more at link)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    I can't remember what state a series of special reports was written about regarding what is under everyone's houses, but you'd be shocked. Mine's, fuel pipelines, etc. I came away from that article thinking...I don't wanna know......!!!!
    My son used to have a book that showed what's underground and it was really interesting and a little scary!

    Locally we are having major water mains breaking and making huge holes (not like this of course). The pipes are 80-100 years old!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    3,052
    150-250 deep! Unbelievable!
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Chicago - Sinkhole swallows 3 cars
    By SurfieTX in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  2. Giant Sinkhole in Guatemala
    By Stoshie in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
  3. At Least 20 La Jolla Homes Threatened By Sinkhole
    By Alice253 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
  4. Massive Flooding In Marble Falls, Texas
    By LionRun in forum Weather
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
  5. Dog Stuck in Sinkhole for 16 Days Rescued
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 04:35 PM