Massive Sinkhole in Texas

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
I started watching this unfold yesterday morning and it was shocking how fast and big this hole grew. As of this morning, the hole bigger than two football fields and 150 feet deep. Years of water being pumped into a salt dome is probably causing this. That's a mining term I am not familiar with. Authorites state as of now, homes are not being threatened. But the entire town of Daisetta, pop. 1000 is built on a salt dome. So residents are very concerned about losing their town. Link, slideshow and video below:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6128062

WOW quite a sinkhole. Are you sure that is not Daisetta,California?

WOW quite a sinkhole. Are you sure that is not Daisetta,California?

It's near Houston. It's hard to imagine losing and entire town. Authorities can't guarantee that won't happen. That happened a couple of decades ago in Utah. A landslide blocked a river and flooded a town that's now a big lake! Thistle, Utah is where it happened.

It's near Houston. It's hard to imagine losing and entire town. Authorities can't guarantee that won't happen. That happened a couple of decades ago in Utah. A landslide blocked a river and flooded a town that's now a big lake! Thistle, Utah is where it happened.
This happened down in La Jolla last year or the year before. Of course they didn't lose the town but it was pretty massive.

This happened down in La Jolla last year or the year before. Of course they didn't lose the town but it was pretty massive.

Cali seems to have had a problem with landslides as well the last few years.

That is SCARY. I hope those people have good insurance. :(

They mine salt under Lake Erie on the coast. :eek:

That is SCARY. I hope those people have good insurance. :(

They mine salt under Lake Erie on the coast. :eek:

A couple of years ago a small sinkhole opened up near a house here in TN. The insurance company did not cover sinkholes and claimed you had to have special insurance for that, kinda like flood insurance.
How stupid!!
The community pulled together and helped the elderly family out of financial ruin but it is still pissy that BIG INSURANCE are kinda like weasles.

What?! I can see flooded areas (that flood over and over again and people keep rebuilding over and over agin) not being covered, but not covering a sinkhole?
:(

It used to be mandatory in some parts of Florida to have sinkhole insurance. But it was rescinded and people quit buying it, leaving many in a bad situation. Phoenix is another bad area.

I can't remember what state a series of special reports was written about regarding what is under everyone's houses, but you'd be shocked. Mine's, fuel pipelines, etc. I came away from that article thinking...I don't wanna know......!!!!

A couple of years ago a small sinkhole opened up near a house here in TN. The insurance company did not cover sinkholes and claimed you had to have special insurance for that, kinda like flood insurance.
How stupid!!
The community pulled together and helped the elderly family out of financial ruin but it is still pissy that BIG INSURANCE are kinda like weasles.
Yes, insurance companies can really be :chicken:chit at times. It is all about making money for themselves, NOT about protecting people.:mad:

The latest this morning:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/16197788/detail.html

A massive sinkhole that has swallowed everything in its path is continuing to grow, officials told KPRC Local 2 Thursday.

The sinkhole, which is the size of almost seven football fields, is located in a rural area near FM 770, just north of Daisetta in Liberty County. (more at link)

I can't remember what state a series of special reports was written about regarding what is under everyone's houses, but you'd be shocked. Mine's, fuel pipelines, etc. I came away from that article thinking...I don't wanna know......!!!!
My son used to have a book that showed what's underground and it was really interesting and a little scary!

Locally we are having major water mains breaking and making huge holes (not like this of course). The pipes are 80-100 years old! :eek:

150-250 deep! Unbelievable! :eek:

Holy Carp! A sink hole just opened up over an old coal mine in a town about 15 miles from us. Two homes were condemned as a result and a major thoroughfare is still shut down. This started over 2 wks ago. But it is nothing like the one in TX. That is HUGE!

My son used to have a book that showed what's underground and it was really interesting and a little scary!

Locally we are having major water mains breaking and making huge holes (not like this of course). The pipes are 80-100 years old! :eek:

Infrastructure is falling to pieces. I guess that would include old mines as well. I wonder how much more of this type of event we'll see?

I have seen sinkholes in Fl. but I have never seen anything this huge before. This is amazing to watch.

I thought the title of this thread said "stinkhole". hehe That part of TX, yup!

Wow, that thing is huge! It's not even a blip on CNN that I can tell, with so much else going on in the world. Wouldn't something like this normally be covered?

How stupid!!

I remember seeing this on the news here in Tennessee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back