NC - Irina 'Ira' Yarmolenko, 20, murdered, Mount Holly, 5 May 2008 *previously GUILTY*Charges Dropped*

Hucklepie

Reaction score
Irina "Ira" Yarmolenko, a 20-year-old sophomore at UNC-Charlotte, was found dead beside her car on the bank of the Catawba River on Monday. The local police are trying to piece together a timeline: students saw her on campus early Monday and at a coffeeshop where she worked (but was not working that day) around 10:30 that morning, and her body was discovered around 1:30 in the afternoon. Police announced today that the cause of death was asphyxiation; her body was found by a jet-skier who called 911 on Monday.

I can't find the article I read about it earlier today, but the place where Ira was found is an isolated spot 30 or so minutes from campus; none of her friends or family know why she might have been there. She had friends who lived in that general area, but hadn't mentioned any plans to visit or hang out with them. The police say there's no reason to worry about a random murderer or strangler, but also don't have any ideas about who is responsible for Ira's murder. As a single, 20something woman in the Charlotte area myself, it makes me a little nervous, particularly since there haven't been any recent developments or news on the Kyle Fleischmann case either. My heart goes out to Ira and her friends.

http://www.charlotte.com/236/story/615743.html

Awwww, how sad. I hope we find out more soon about what could have happened. Sounds personal, imo.

I live in Winston-Salem. This is a horrible incident. I hope LE keeps the public updated about this case. Stay safe Hucklepie.

What a beautiful girl. It's so sad when young lives are taken. And it happens again, and again, and again.:(

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th NC student murdered this year? I go to school at a university in my town and there are shootings every few months. Mostly it is locals, from a nearby poor neighborhood, who come on campus after hours and stir up trouble. I don't think anyone has died yet. I have an after hours class in the fall and I am actually scared./:mad:

Awwww, how sad. I hope we find out more soon about what could have happened. Sounds personal, imo.
It almost sounds as if she MAY have already been dead in her car and her car was put in 'drive' and it came to a stop at the water's edge.

It could have happened that way, TG. If so, there would hopefully be evidence in or on the vehicle from another person.

It could have happened that way, TG. If so, there would hopefully be evidence in or on the vehicle from another person.
Yes SS, but most young people have several sets of prints in their vehicle from all of their friends, so think they'll need something more..........dunno!

The case is yet so fresh, much more to be learned hopefully.

I keep hearing about the gang violence in Charlotte yet from what I have read about her...I don't suspect the usual connections to such. She appeared to be a very good kid. No drugs etc.

I noticed it mentioned she didn't drive much, but did regularly go to the area to visit her friend. The friend is not being related to this by others...so it makes me think the friend is another good kid (female?).

Strangulation doesn't mean this wasn't a random thing. She might have been in the area to visit her friend then ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Irina "Ira" Yarmolenko, a 20-year-old sophomore at UNC-Charlotte, was found dead beside her car on the bank of the Catawba River on Monday. The local police are trying to piece together a timeline: students saw her on campus early Monday and at a coffeeshop where she worked (but was not working that day) around 10:30 that morning, and her body was discovered around 1:30 in the afternoon. Police announced today that the cause of death was asphyxiation; her body was found by a jet-skier who called 911 on Monday.

I can't find the article I read about it earlier today, but the place where Ira was found is an isolated spot 30 or so minutes from campus; none of her friends or family know why she might have been there. She had friends who lived in that general area, but hadn't mentioned any plans to visit or hang out with them. The police say there's no reason to worry about a random murderer or strangler, but also don't have any ideas about who is responsible for Ira's murder. As a single, 20something woman in the Charlotte area myself, it makes me a little nervous, particularly since there haven't been any recent developments or news on the Kyle Fleischmann case either. My heart goes out to Ira and her friends.

http://www.charlotte.com/236/story/615743.html

>snip
"There's nothing to indicate there is someone out there that's stalking or chasing people," he said.

>snip

OK, so this is the 4-5th random murder.
The Charlotte PD pointing the finger to gangs wanting to strangle college girls.

I hope they come up with better leads then this.

Poor girl:mad:

what a beautiful wholesome looking young lady....

so sad. hope whomever i responsible is caught .... and soon!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is gang related.

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th NC student murdered this year? I go to school at a university in my town and there are shootings every few months. Mostly it is locals, from a nearby poor neighborhood, who come on campus after hours and stir up trouble. I don't think anyone has died yet. I have an after hours class in the fall and I am actually scared./:mad:
There was an article today in either the Charlotte Observer or Raleigh News & Observer about the fact that there have been so many homicides in NC universities this year - the student body president at UNC-Chapel Hill very recently, as well as a domestic incident at UNC-Charlotte this spring and a Duke graduate student. It's scary.

The gang violence in Charlotte is bad, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than most big cities. There isn't a lot of gang activity in the university area per se, and even less in the more rural area where Ira was found. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to find out that it was a random incident of gang violence, but I wouldn't think it would be terribly likely. I haven't seen any news updates on it today.

After seeing her brother and best friend on Greta tonight...it does appear they have someone in mind for this. The chief also said they have several persons of interest, but no suspect at this time. The brother and best friend both said they could not comment on there being someone who might have been bothering her or had reason to. Greta took it the same way we all would...meaning they do.

Dr. Baden theorized she was manually strangled (instead of drowned) and the car was then sent into the water.

Every few months??!! OMgosh! I'm in grad school at a small private college and I hate walking across the lot at night to get in my token soccer mom SUV. I would be terrified to be on your campus. I'm a huge :chicken:!
However, and this is a strange fact about me, I feel extremely safe in Manhattan (NYC) @ night. My 11 yr old thinks I'm nuts. But I don't mind walking in Manhattan alone at night.
BTW: what's your major?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back