1046 users online (225 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is gang related.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
    Isn't this the 3rd or 4th NC student murdered this year? I go to school at a university in my town and there are shootings every few months. Mostly it is locals, from a nearby poor neighborhood, who come on campus after hours and stir up trouble. I don't think anyone has died yet. I have an after hours class in the fall and I am actually scared./
    There was an article today in either the Charlotte Observer or Raleigh News & Observer about the fact that there have been so many homicides in NC universities this year - the student body president at UNC-Chapel Hill very recently, as well as a domestic incident at UNC-Charlotte this spring and a Duke graduate student. It's scary.

The gang violence in Charlotte is bad, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than most big cities. There isn't a lot of gang activity in the university area per se, and even less in the more rural area where Ira was found. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to find out that it was a random incident of gang violence, but I wouldn't think it would be terribly likely. I haven't seen any news updates on it today.

After seeing her brother and best friend on Greta tonight...it does appear they have someone in mind for this. The chief also said they have several persons of interest, but no suspect at this time. The brother and best friend both said they could not comment on there being someone who might have been bothering her or had reason to. Greta took it the same way we all would...meaning they do.

Dr. Baden theorized she was manually strangled (instead of drowned) and the car was then sent into the water.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is gang related.
    What a natual beauty she was! I wonder if this is some gang initiation being this isn't the first. What a waste of life.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
    Isn't this the 3rd or 4th NC student murdered this year? I go to school at a university in my town and there are shootings every few months. Mostly it is locals, from a nearby poor neighborhood, who come on campus after hours and stir up trouble. I don't think anyone has died yet. I have an after hours class in the fall and I am actually scared./

Every few months??!! OMgosh! I'm in grad school at a small private college and I hate walking across the lot at night to get in my token soccer mom SUV. I would be terrified to be on your campus. I'm a huge !
    However, and this is a strange fact about me, I feel extremely safe in Manhattan (NYC) @ night. My 11 yr old thinks I'm nuts. But I don't mind walking in Manhattan alone at night.
    BTW: what's your major?
    "The greatest crimes do not arise from a want of feeling for others but from
    over-sensibility for ourselves and an over-indulgence to our own desires."
    ~~ Edmund Burke

Greta posted this today at her site ~ it's a very interesting timeline of Irina's last hours especially the stop at the credit union.

http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2008/05...-was-murdered/

More coverage from Greta at this link (just scroll down the page) ~

http://www.foxnews.com/ontherecord/index.html

NC-FOUND DECEASED-Irina Yarmolenka

The latest from Greta Wire/On The Record:

http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2008/05...-was-murdered/
    http://websleuths.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18587&dateline=122036  8386

Greta tonight 5/14/08

I just saw an ad for Greta's show tonight. She's going to be covering more information about this case. Hope they have some new leads.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I hope so too, Izzy. My youngest daughter will be going to that university in the fall and it scares me that a killer is running loose in the area.

i heard something on local news about a video showing her at the goodwill store sorry no link

Quote Originally Posted by athy View Post
    i heard something on local news about a video showing her at the goodwill store sorry no link
    I didn't realize that Goodwill stores had video cameras but I guess they do as they listed the time at about 10:35 a.m. when she was there. I read where she tried to donate used bed pillows and they don't accept them.

other than saying what time she was there and they have a video they said they're not giving any details. i wonder if that means something was on it that might be of some help.

That news story about the credit union thing is odd. I'm surprised that the security camera didn't record anything at all. I went by the branch of the State Employees Credit Union closest to me today - not the one Ira would have gone to, but in the same area - and was laughing to myself at the number of cameras that were posted all around the parking lot and building. (Laughing before having read this news story, that is.) My branch isn't in a sketchy area, so I don't think we have exceptionally tight security that the other branches wouldn't have. The Goodwill near me also has one or two cameras - it'll be interesting to see if her Goodwill picked up anything on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    After seeing her brother and best friend on Greta tonight...it does appear they have someone in mind for this. The chief also said they have several persons of interest, but no suspect at this time. The brother and best friend both said they could not comment on there being someone who might have been bothering her or had reason to. Greta took it the same way we all would...meaning they do.
    VIDEO in case someone other than me missed it on T.V.
    http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingForm at=FLASH&referralObject=161466&referralPlaylistId= 949437d0db05ed5f5b9954dc049d70b0c12f2749

A blurb for tonight's news just said they have new information - something about a second set of keys? I'm going to bed in a few minutes (kidney stones are the pits, thank God for potent painkillers!) but there should be news in the next couple of hours on www.charlotte.com or www.wcnc.com.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast