GUILTY FL - Rachel Hoffman, 23, Tallahassee, 7 May 2008

This doesn't sound good. Prayers for her family.

Someone needs to wipe the smirk off the perps face pictured on the left. :mad:

This is terrible and shows what can sometimes happen when trying to assist LE. I, too, am praying for her family.

Sadly, Rachel Hoffman was found deceased this morning in Georgia. The two suspects lead Police to her body. My prayers go out to the Hoffman family.

Of interest to note is that she was from Palm Harbor/Clearwater area originally and Jennifer Kesse, missing since January 24, 2006, was from Tampa originally. Both young, bright, etc... the two suspects were arrested in Orlando where Jenn went missing.

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/18800289.html

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/18802024.html

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080509/NEWS01/805090343

Prayers for Rachel...

LE sure put her in a dangerous situation...safeguards or no safeguards...she was just a kid (regardless of her "history").

Condolences to her family.

Tallahassee Democrat
May 11, 2008

Rachael Hoffman, a 2007 Florida State University graduate, had recently become an informant for the Tallahassee Police Department after multiple drugs were found in her apartment, police said. She was also in a diversion program after a 2007 drug charge.

Hoffman's death this week during a drug sting has raised questions about law enforcement's use of confidential informants.Most of the questions are still unanswered.

"There are about a hundred questions I have and a hundred questions her family has," said Hoffman's attorney, Johnny Devine. "And a lot of them begin with 'why.'"

Hoffman, 23, was found dead Friday in rural Taylor County. Murder charges are pending against Andrea J. Green, 25, and Deneilo Bradshaw, 22, police said.

Her attorneys and the State Attorney's Office say they were not aware she was working with police. "My job is to keep her out of harm's way, but I didn't have an opportunity because I didn't know," Devine said.

State Attorney Willie Meggs said it's common practice for his office to be notified when someone already in the justice system is recruited as an informant.

"I am not aware of that ever happening before," Meggs said of not being notified. "Typically, we do know."

TPD spokesman David McCranie said police limit the people who know who their informants are. He said Meggs' office is informed when someone on probation is recruited, but Hoffman was in a drug diversion program.
"We did not feel her participation as a confidential informant would in any way impede her ability to complete the diversion program," McCranie said. "If we need to make changes, we'll do so."

Hoffman's friends said she helped police because she was terrified of going to jail. Devine said that, had Hoffman asked, he would have given her the same advice he typically gives clients: Don't do it."It's not worth it to put your life at risk to avoid a prosecution," he said.

Hoffman was facing charges of possession of ecstasy with intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, maintaining a drug house and possession of drug paraphernalia, Police Chief Dennis Jones said.

There is no record of Hoffman's recent run-in with police in the court system or in jail logs. McCranie said the department would release the arrest report Monday.

TPD chief to review drug operation
Tallahassee police have expressed sadness over Hoffman's death, but they've been tight-lipped about the circumstances and about their practice of using informants. "We don't twist arms to get people to do this," McCranie said. "We have people tell us no all the time."
Informants are necessary, McCranie said. "The nature of the drug business is extremely dangerous, extremely covert," he said. "The only way you can infiltrate these kinds of organizations is to utilize the people involved in the trade."

Devine described Hoffman as a poor choice for the operation. He said she was in a different league than Green, who spent nearly nine months in prison in 2004-2005 for aggravated assault and selling marijuana in Taylor County, and Bradshaw, who was arrested in Leon County twice last year for possession of marijuana. "You would never put them in the same room together," Devine said. "It's not like she was a hardened criminal who had been in the (justice) system for a long time."

McCranie said it's up to informants to contact their attorneys or family. He said police are trained to assess whether someone would make a good informant and often turn people away. He described Hoffman as a mature, college-educated adult who police felt would follow directions.
Jones said Hoffman had agreed to buy 1,500 pills of ecstasy, 2 ounces of cocaine and a gun from the two men.

He said she was supposed to meet Green and Bradshaw near Forestmeadows Park in northeast Tallahassee and that it was under police surveillance. But she drove off to meet the men somewhere else, he said.
"Unfortunately," he said during a news conference Friday, "Rachel chose to ignore precautions established in a previous briefing as well as the direction of her case agent."

Police have been asked but have yet to say how close they were to Hoffman during the operation, how many officers were involved, where she drove and how they lost her. McCranie said the operation will be reviewed by Jones.

Hoffman's attorneys responded Saturday to the comments made by TPD. The attorneys sent out an extensive news release, which is printed in its entirety on page 6A of today's Tallahassee Democrat.

College students vulnerable
The heavy penalties facing drug offenders create pressure to cooperate with law enforcement, said Kris Krane, executive director of Students for Sensible Drug Policy. The Washington, D.C.-based group advocates that drug use be treated as a public-health issue rather than a law-enforcement issue, and has chapters on 120 campuses. "The overwhelming majority of informants are people busted for drugs," Krane said. "Police can do an effective job of scaring people — especially young people — into complicity. People are getting caught in the middle of the war on drugs every day."

That's especially true for college students, Krane said, because they risk losing their financial aid if they have a drug conviction. He said young people often don't know their rights and should seek counsel if arrested.
"It's really important that the students understand what's at risk," he said. "Obviously, talk to an attorney before making any decision to cooperate with police."

Attorney: Cooperation good choice for some
Ethan Way, president of the Tallahassee chapter of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, was more open to the practice of using informants. He said his recommendations would be made on a case-by-case basis based on the risk involved, whether there's a clear benefit for the defendant, and his level of trust in the agency.

"If ... there's a trust element between the lawyer and law enforcement and the client you might set that kind of transaction up."
In any case, he said, defendants should exercise their right to stay silent and call their attorney.

"I think bringing the lawyer into the loop helps everybody," he said, because the attorney often can tell if a specific client could be useful to police or is prone to making poor decisions.Her attorneys and the State Attorney's Office say they were not aware she was working with police.

"My job is to keep her out of harm's way, but I didn't have an opportunity because I didn't know," Devine said.

additional links below.... also see the videos with articles.

Who was Rachael Hoffman:
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=CD&Dato=20080509&Kategori=PHOTOS03&Lopenr=509003&Ref=PH

Attorneys for Hoffman family issue news release critical of TPD :
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080511/NEWS01/805110315

Suspects lead police to Hoffman's body in Taylor County :
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080510/NEWS01/805100317

Family of suspects offers sympathies, apologies to Hoffman family:
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080511/NEWS01/805110332

Hoffman's friends recall her love for life
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080510/NEWS01/805100318

Public opinion in Tallahassee is overwhelmingly critical of TPD. Did police knowingly put her in danger for the investigation? Was there an attempted cover-up of the circumstances of her disappearance?

more of the back story.... news links from Friday, May 9

Updated: Rachel Hoffman facing multiple felony charges when agreed to help police

Hoffman was facing charges of possession of ecstasy with intent to sell, possession of controlled substance with intent to sell, maintaining a drug house and possession of drug paraphernalia, he said.

She agreed to buy 1,500 pills of ecstasy, 2 ounces of cocaine or crack cocaine and a gun from two men who are now suspected of kidnapping and robbing her.

“Unfortunately, Rachel chose to ignore precautions established in a previous briefing as well as the direction of her case agent,” Jones said.

Hoffman left the Forestmeadows Park area, where several police officers were watching her, to go meet Andrea J. Green and Deneilo Bradshaw.

Police tried to stop her, but were unsuccessful, said police spokesman Officer David McCranie. It’s not clear how they lost sight of her or where she went.

Murder charges against Green and Bradshaw are pending, officials said.

Hoffman's Lawyer Shocked by Investigation (with video)
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18821059.html

Rachel Hoffman Found Dead
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18800289.html (with video)

Public opinion in Tallahassee is overwhelmingly criticizing TPD. Did police knowingly put her in danger for the investigation? Was there an attempted cover-up of the circumstances of her disappearance?

more of the back story.... news links from Friday, May 9

Updated: Rachel Hoffman facing multiple felony charges when agreed to help police

Hoffman was facing charges of possession of ecstasy with intent to sell, possession of controlled substance with intent to sell, maintaining a drug house and possession of drug paraphernalia, he said.

She agreed to buy 1,500 pills of ecstasy, 2 ounces of cocaine or crack cocaine and a gun from two men who are now suspected of kidnapping and robbing her.

“Unfortunately, Rachel chose to ignore precautions established in a previous briefing as well as the direction of her case agent,” Jones said.

Hoffman left the Forestmeadows Park area, where several police officers were watching her, to go meet Andrea J. Green and Deneilo Bradshaw.

Police tried to stop her, but were unsuccessful, said police spokesman Officer David McCranie. It’s not clear how they lost sight of her or where she went.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18821059.html

Rachel Hoffman Found Dead
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18800289.html (with video)

Since when can cops fail to stop a car they have initially in sight, with a make, model, tag number, and driver description? Would they let their daughter drive off unchecked into this potentially deadly setup? They try harder to dog someone evading a 10-mph-over ticket than they did this poor girl.

The girl and her sellers were clearly mismatched; as a novice she was sent not only to buy drugs, but a deadly weapon from hardened criminals. Her protection was poor/incompetent even though the TPD set up the bust and should have contingency plans if the informant is forced to another location.

Reverting to cop lingo and floating blame-the-victim strategies won't work here. The TPD hasn't even grasped the depth of their errors leading to the loss of a young girl's life.

C6

Why on earth would they send this young girl to purchase this much drugs and guns from two criminals--alone?? I thought that they had trained undercover drug agents to do this sort of thing.

This is ridiculous and sickening. This girl sounded like a suburban kid who got mixed up in selling drugs. IMO, she should have gone to drug diversion school (whatever that is) and been given community service and probation.

There is no way that the cops should have recruited her as a drug informant who had to perform such dangerous missions.

I do not believe that this girl disregarded orders and just took off. In the movies, they show that the undercover agent has constant contact with the cops. They follow the car. There is GPS. At no time are they not being covered by other cops, who are supposed to be on site to make the arrest.

crypto6 wrote:

"Since when can cops fail to stop a car they have initially in sight, with a make, model, tag number, and driver description? Would they let their daughter drive off unchecked into this potentially deadly setup? They try harder to dog someone evading a 10-mph-over ticket than they did this poor girl.

The girl and her sellers were clearly mismatched; as a novice she was sent not only to buy drugs, but a deadly weapon from hardened criminals. Her protection was poor/incompetent even though the TPD set up the bust and should have contingency plans if the informant is forced to another location.

Reverting to cop lingo and floating blame-the-victim strategies won't work here. The TPD hasn't even grasped the depth of their errors leading to the loss of a young girl's life."

you said a mouthful, toots!

i believe this case will be a big national story.

crypto6 wrote:

"Since when can cops fail to stop a car they have initially in sight, with a make, model, tag number, and driver description? Would they let their daughter drive off unchecked into this potentially deadly setup? They try harder to dog someone evading a 10-mph-over ticket than they did this poor girl.

Reverting to cop lingo and floating blame-the-victim strategies won't work here. The TPD hasn't even grasped the depth of their errors leading to the loss of a young girl's life."

you said a mouthful, toots!
i believe this case will be a big national story.

Why is it always a tragedy that leads to change? If Toyota can make better cars each year without horrid accidents to push them forward, why can't we do better with those who are given so much power over the lives of everyday folk? They sent a naive young college girl into harm's way, and dare to blame her and hide behind their badges. Does the fact that she was involved in drugs as a bit player make it acceptable to risk and lose her life? I see that we get nothing back from our trust in LE except two hardened criminals now to be lifers at the cost of a young girls's life. Not a good exchange, the yoke of our present LE system for their promise of protection for our freedom.

C6

C6

again in post #6, just above, crypto6 makes excellent points!

and further, the real hell of it is, murderers often walk out of jail after only a few years..... however, their victims are still serving their "life sentence".

in my town, 2 20-something room-mates got into a drunken brawl over money one owed the other for a bag of pot. one was shot dead....less than 20 years later, the killer was honored by the chamber of commerce as farmer of the year..... he is free to live as he pleases..... the other is still dead........ justice ???

This is absolute crap.
There needs to be consequences for this "Police Department".
This girl needed help not to be intimidated into doing these Cops jobs for them.

This is absolute crap.
There needs to be consequences for this "Police Department".
This girl needed help not to be intimidated into doing these Cops jobs for them.

ITA but don't hold your breath.

So sad.

What a tragic end for such a beautiful girl. :( It didn't have to end this way. I hope her parents find answers soon as to who is responsible and why this failed so miserably.

I wonder if the cops let her get killed so they could also build a murder case against those two. :eek:

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18821059.html (Bolded by me)

Kinda hard to stay in their "safe zone" if there is a man with a gun in your back or something like that. This case makes me so angry!!

Rachael is the niece of someone I know through work. I just can't comprehend this.

My View column by father of the late Rachel Hoffman: Rachel's Law offers plenty to consider

My daughter, Rachel Hoffman, was a 23-year-old graduate of Florida State University who gave her life working under cover for the Tallahassee Police Department. The details of this event are still being investigated. But my meeting next week with state Sen. Mike Fasano about Rachel's Law concerns the process of becoming an undercover informant and preventing another vulnerable person whose judgment may be impaired or is under duress from being treated as expendable, then murdered.

http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080531/OPINION05/805310305/-1/BREAKINGNEWS&GID=0

Hoffman lawyers notify city of potential wrongful death claim

The attorney for the family of Rachel Hoffman, the 23-year-old police informant who was killed May 7 during a drug-and-gun buy gone awry, has put the city of Tallahassee on notice that a wrongful death claim could be filed against the city. Florida law mandates that such a notice be filed six months before a lawsuit can be filed against a local or state government.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbc...AKINGNEWS/80630011&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back