Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autistic girl and sisters kidnapped by non-custodial father

Autistic girl and sisters kidnapped by non-custodial father

I searched for a thread because I thought surely there would be one here for this case! Let me know if there's one out there already.
    http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=55151
    Matusiewicz, once a respected Delaware optometrist, shattered the calm of his family's life when he kidnapped his three daughters and disappeared.
    The girls, Laura, 5, Leigh, 4, and Karen, 2, were last seen on Aug. 26, 2007 when Christine Belford, David's ex-wife, dropped the girls off for a visit with their father. Cops say Matusiewicz assured Belford that he and his mother, Lenore, would be taking the children on a two-week vacation. But cops say the vacation was a ruse, and law enforcement says Matusiewicz used the two weeks to completely disappear with the kids.
    Cops say Lenore Matusiewicz is assisting her son in his flight from the authorities, and they have issued a felony kidnapping warrant for her arrest as well. (more plus pics etc at link)

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=53742
    Non-Custodial Father Sought In Del. Kidnapping
    New Castle, Del. police are seeking the public's help in locating 40-year-old David Matusiewicz. Matusiewicz was last seen by his ex-wife, Christine Belford, when she dropped off their three children for visitation on August 26, 2007.

and

Christine Belford lives in fear that her ex-husband may try non-sanctioned "biofeedback therapy" on their 4-year-old daughter, Leigh, who was diagnosed with Autism. Bedford says her husband was obsessed with the idea that he could "cure" Leigh.
    Police say Matusiewicz was traveling with his mother -- Lenore F. Matusiewicz -- when he fled the state of Delaware.
    Matusiewicz is a gun enthusiast who had at least a dozen guns, including a .357 Magnum he kept at his previous residence.
    Matusiewicz worked as a licensed optometrist in the state of Delaware and may still be working in the field. He is wanted for three counts of felony interference with custody. (more plus pics etc at link)

NCMEC INFO
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

GREAT news article about the case from 2/17/08:
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0377/1006/news

Updated article a/o 2/26/08:
    http://media.www.udreview.com/media/...-3233565.shtml

Let's find these sweet girls and that evil grandmother and her son.

"Matusiewicz also kept nearly a dozen weapons in the house, including a .357 Magnum, and had taken a one-week shooting course in Las Vegas. He read survivalist books, and alarmed his wife, who recalled his saying, "I know how to kill people and leave no trace."

If he was reading survivalist books, maybe it's possible him and the 3 girls are roughing it living in the woods secluded. He may only be making trips to a "town" area to get supplies..

That's a very interesting point, MeoW.

I wonder what he's doing to earn money?

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I searched for a thread because I thought surely there would be one here for this case! Let me know if there's one out there already.
    http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=55151
    Matusiewicz, once a respected Delaware optometrist, shattered the calm of his family's life when he kidnapped his three daughters and disappeared.
    The girls, Laura, 5, Leigh, 4, and Karen, 2, were last seen on Aug. 26, 2007 when Christine Belford, David's ex-wife, dropped the girls off for a visit with their father. Cops say Matusiewicz assured Belford that he and his mother, Lenore, would be taking the children on a two-week vacation. But cops say the vacation was a ruse, and law enforcement says Matusiewicz used the two weeks to completely disappear with the kids.
    Cops say Lenore Matusiewicz is assisting her son in his flight from the authorities, and they have issued a felony kidnapping warrant for her arrest as well. (more plus pics etc at link)

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=53742
    Non-Custodial Father Sought In Del. Kidnapping
    New Castle, Del. police are seeking the public's help in locating 40-year-old David Matusiewicz. Matusiewicz was last seen by his ex-wife, Christine Belford, when she dropped off their three children for visitation on August 26, 2007.

and

Christine Belford lives in fear that her ex-husband may try non-sanctioned "biofeedback therapy" on their 4-year-old daughter, Leigh, who was diagnosed with Autism. Bedford says her husband was obsessed with the idea that he could "cure" Leigh.
    Police say Matusiewicz was traveling with his mother -- Lenore F. Matusiewicz -- when he fled the state of Delaware.
    Matusiewicz is a gun enthusiast who had at least a dozen guns, including a .357 Magnum he kept at his previous residence.
    Matusiewicz worked as a licensed optometrist in the state of Delaware and may still be working in the field. He is wanted for three counts of felony interference with custody. (more plus pics etc at link)

NCMEC INFO
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

GREAT news article about the case from 2/17/08:

Updated article a/o 2/26/08:
    http://media.www.udreview.com/media/...-3233565.shtml

Let's find these sweet girls and that evil grandmother and her son.
    If it was the mom that didn't return the girls after a visit, because she wanted to try something that showed positive results with autism, I have a feeling we may root her on. But because it's the dad in this situation - he's declared evil.

He shouldn't have not returned the children - there is absolutely NOTHING to suggest he doesn't love and adore his girls. I think there's more to this story.

I just saw a re-run of Greta, they have joint custody, and I thought he had physical custody because he had the marital residence.

LOL, uh, yeah, if someone (either gender) disappears with children that also belong to someone else, I believe they are evil. My opinion, I guess.

LOL, uh, yeah, if someone (either gender) disappears with children that also belong to someone else, I believe they are evil. My opinion, I guess.
    belong to someone else? He's their father! He has physical custody - and they have joint custody -

If my daughter's father tried to prevent me from using something that could potentially change her health, her life, her possibilities in life - I'd probably just disappear too.....

She's their mother!

I don't know the details, but once skimmed an article about a controversial autism treatment that some said is dangerous...even deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I don't know the details, but once skimmed an article about a controversial autism treatment that some said is dangerous...even deadly.
    I think you may be referring to chelation therapy - I have heard of deaths associated after the use, I didn't see if it was because of chelation - or the underlying reason they had chelation.

BioFeedback is not dangerous to my knowledge. I work for an alternative health practitioner who provides it, I'll ask him next week.

Well, if he was that concerned that his autistic daughter should receive that treatment, he could have done it on the sly while he had her most of the time. None of this makes sense to me. Why take all 3 then? He planned it all out well in advance, even to the point of faking his ex-wife's signature on a $250,000 loan!!!

He has taken these girls from their mother and I just hope they are alive and well and will be reunited with her soon.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure biofeedback therapy is harmless. I think people might think it's new-agey, but IIRC it doesn't require meds etc.

Wow, this guy is one sneaky creep! He secretly moved all of the furniture out of the house, sold the optometry building for ~$500,000 more than he paid for it, forged her signature on a ~$250,000 refinance of the home. The bank has verified this, and the FBI want him for mortgage fraud, in addition to kidnapping. He sure planned this whole thing out, to steal the kids and run. The neighbor says the she witnessed his father moving furniture, so the old man needs to be interrogated since he must know where his wife, son, and grandkids snuck off to. There is a possible lead they went to Canada. They are such cutie-pie little girls. With that stunning bright blond hair, I hope someone spots them.

Well, if he was that concerned that his autistic daughter should receive that treatment, he could have done it on the sly while he had her most of the time. None of this makes sense to me. Why take all 3 then? He planned it all out well in advance, even to the point of faking his ex-wife's signature on a $250,000 loan!!!

He has taken these girls from their mother and I just hope they are alive and well and will be reunited with her soon.
    ok, i missed the fraud.... I won't stand up for him anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by justche View Post
    I think you may be referring to chelation therapy - I have heard of deaths associated after the use, I didn't see if it was because of chelation - or the underlying reason they had chelation.

BioFeedback is not dangerous to my knowledge. I work for an alternative health practitioner who provides it, I'll ask him next week.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty certain that's what it was about...chelation.

ok, i missed the fraud.... I won't stand up for him anymore...
    LOL, it's ok! I see your point about the word "evil". Maybe that was too harsh. I'll have to think of some others, but I'm pretty sure I can't type them here.

I really think it's weird he's got that strange relationship with his mom. Ick!!

I completely agree TM!! Evil sick people are what he and his mother are.

If the father has the money in bank accounts under false names, or a large amount of it in cash, he may be able to live in a remote area and also live off the land as well, so he won't have to get a job to work? He was reading up on survivalist books, probably to educate himself how to live off the land. He could be in a one horse town if that somewhere very isolated where he wouldn't be recognized, also remaining away from the eye of the public. Maybe a cabin somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    If the father has the money in bank accounts under false names, or a large amount of it in cash, he may be able to live in a remote area and also live off the land as well, so he won't have to get a job to work? He was reading up on survivalist books, probably to educate himself how to live off the land. He could be in a one horse town if that somewhere very isolated where he wouldn't be recognized, also remaining away from the eye of the public. Maybe a cabin somewhere.
    I forgot about all that money.

Here's the thing though. Therapies like that aren't offered in small towns, generally. How about if we find out what specific therapy he was interested in and then contact those places w/the NCMEC info. I mean, if that's what this was really about, I don't think it's one of those therapies you do at home unless you've been trained.

Maybe we could all take a State or two and see what we could find? (Once we find out what specific therapy he was looking at.)

belong to someone else? He's their father! He has physical custody - and they have joint custody -

If my daughter's father tried to prevent me from using something that could potentially change her health, her life, her possibilities in life - I'd probably just disappear too.....
    Then why did he kidnap all three children and not just the one with health concerns? ETA: nevermind ... I didn't read far enough in the thread ... off to read more on this case.

This article is extremely detailed giving info on the divorce and custody battle. Interesting that he had PRIMARY custody and the mother had visitation only... especially after the psychological evaluations.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...plate=printart

One of the most perplexing questions is why Matusiewicz would take off, depriving the children of contact with their mother.

Court papers reveal a possible motive, that he thought Belford was an unfit mother with mental problems. A court-ordered psychologist rejected that notion.

That same psychologist, however, said Matusiewicz was unstable, according to Family Court Judge Mark B. Buckworth's custody order in February 2007.

Buckworth wrote that Matusiewicz was "at risk of losing touch with reality."

I forgot about all that money.

Here's the thing though. Therapies like that aren't offered in small towns, generally. How about if we find out what specific therapy he was interested in and then contact those places w/the NCMEC info. I mean, if that's what this was really about, I don't think it's one of those therapies you do at home unless you've been trained.

Maybe we could all take a State or two and see what we could find? (Once we find out what specific therapy he was looking at.)
    Do you think he might try abroad for the therapy? He has to know that his face and the children's have been on tv and everywhere. I wonder if he has taken any steps to disguise the children, dye their hair or something.
    If he is still in the states he may be having someone watch the 2 while he brings the one daughter for therapy. (appearing as a dad with one child instead of 3 daughters).. just some ideas to toss out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    Do you think he might try abroad for the therapy? He has to know that his face and the children's have been on tv and everywhere. I wonder if he has taken any steps to disguise the children, dye their hair or something.
    If he is still in the states he may be having someone watch the 2 while he brings the one daughter for therapy. (appearing as a dad with one child instead of 3 daughters).. just some ideas to toss out there.
    On Greta last night - the local Barney Fife, I mean detective, said there had been no activity on the passports - but left open the possibility of a passport in another name.

I missed a minute of it, but then he said "well he didn't even tell me he was moving" referring to the grandfather, so apparently (I'm assuming here) he has gone to be with his wife, son and three daughters now.
    Last edited by justche; 05-10-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo

These children have been found and the father and his mother arrested.
    OH and this SOB told his children their mother committed suicide. Hope he NEVER gets to see these girls again.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509273,00.html

"David T. Matusiewicz, an optometrist, was arrested Friday morning while dropping his 6-year-old daughter off at a school in a village near Managua, Nicaragua, the girls' mother Christine Belford told the newspaper.

A short while later Matusiewicz's mother Lenore was arrested at her home, where police found the two other children — Leigh, 6, and Karen, 3."
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyCake View Post
    These children have been found and the father and his mother arrested.
    OH and this SOB told his children their mother committed suicide. Hope he NEVER gets to see these girls again.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509273,00.html

"David T. Matusiewicz, an optometrist, was arrested Friday morning while dropping his 6-year-old daughter off at a school in a village near Managua, Nicaragua, the girls' mother Christine Belford told the newspaper.

A short while later Matusiewicz's mother Lenore was arrested at her home, where police found the two other children Leigh, 6, and Karen, 3."
    OMG Thanks so much for updating this

I didn't know about it ...

Gosh how awful for those three babies to be away from their mummy I hope it hasnt worsened the childs Autism

Pictures of him , his mother , the girls and the girls mother here

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...#pluckcomments

And comments from people who knew him

He had control issues !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast