690 users online (90 members and 600 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234

    DE - Laura, 5, Leigh, 4, & Karen Matusiewicz, 2, 26 Aug 2007

    I searched for a thread because I thought surely there would be one here for this case! Let me know if there's one out there already.
    http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=55151
    Autistic girl and sisters kidnapped by non-custodial father
    Matusiewicz, once a respected Delaware optometrist, shattered the calm of his family's life when he kidnapped his three daughters and disappeared.
    The girls, Laura, 5, Leigh, 4, and Karen, 2, were last seen on Aug. 26, 2007 when Christine Belford, David's ex-wife, dropped the girls off for a visit with their father. Cops say Matusiewicz assured Belford that he and his mother, Lenore, would be taking the children on a two-week vacation. But cops say the vacation was a ruse, and law enforcement says Matusiewicz used the two weeks to completely disappear with the kids.
    Cops say Lenore Matusiewicz is assisting her son in his flight from the authorities, and they have issued a felony kidnapping warrant for her arrest as well. (more plus pics etc at link)


    http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=53742
    Non-Custodial Father Sought In Del. Kidnapping
    New Castle, Del. police are seeking the public's help in locating 40-year-old David Matusiewicz. Matusiewicz was last seen by his ex-wife, Christine Belford, when she dropped off their three children for visitation on August 26, 2007.

    and

    Christine Belford lives in fear that her ex-husband may try non-sanctioned "biofeedback therapy" on their 4-year-old daughter, Leigh, who was diagnosed with Autism. Bedford says her husband was obsessed with the idea that he could "cure" Leigh.
    Police say Matusiewicz was traveling with his mother -- Lenore F. Matusiewicz -- when he fled the state of Delaware.
    Matusiewicz is a gun enthusiast who had at least a dozen guns, including a .357 Magnum he kept at his previous residence.
    Matusiewicz worked as a licensed optometrist in the state of Delaware and may still be working in the field. He is wanted for three counts of felony interference with custody. (more plus pics etc at link)

    NCMEC INFO
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

    GREAT news article about the case from 2/17/08:
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0377/1006/news

    Updated article a/o 2/26/08:
    http://media.www.udreview.com/media/...-3233565.shtml

    Let's find these sweet girls and that evil grandmother and her son.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,761
    "Matusiewicz also kept nearly a dozen weapons in the house, including a .357 Magnum, and had taken a one-week shooting course in Las Vegas. He read survivalist books, and alarmed his wife, who recalled his saying, "I know how to kill people and leave no trace."
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0377/1006/news

    If he was reading survivalist books, maybe it's possible him and the 3 girls are roughing it living in the woods secluded. He may only be making trips to a "town" area to get supplies..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    That's a very interesting point, MeoW.

    I wonder what he's doing to earn money?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Orange County
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I searched for a thread because I thought surely there would be one here for this case! Let me know if there's one out there already.
    http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=55151
    Autistic girl and sisters kidnapped by non-custodial father
    Matusiewicz, once a respected Delaware optometrist, shattered the calm of his family's life when he kidnapped his three daughters and disappeared.
    The girls, Laura, 5, Leigh, 4, and Karen, 2, were last seen on Aug. 26, 2007 when Christine Belford, David's ex-wife, dropped the girls off for a visit with their father. Cops say Matusiewicz assured Belford that he and his mother, Lenore, would be taking the children on a two-week vacation. But cops say the vacation was a ruse, and law enforcement says Matusiewicz used the two weeks to completely disappear with the kids.
    Cops say Lenore Matusiewicz is assisting her son in his flight from the authorities, and they have issued a felony kidnapping warrant for her arrest as well. (more plus pics etc at link)


    http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=53742
    Non-Custodial Father Sought In Del. Kidnapping
    New Castle, Del. police are seeking the public's help in locating 40-year-old David Matusiewicz. Matusiewicz was last seen by his ex-wife, Christine Belford, when she dropped off their three children for visitation on August 26, 2007.

    and

    Christine Belford lives in fear that her ex-husband may try non-sanctioned "biofeedback therapy" on their 4-year-old daughter, Leigh, who was diagnosed with Autism. Bedford says her husband was obsessed with the idea that he could "cure" Leigh.
    Police say Matusiewicz was traveling with his mother -- Lenore F. Matusiewicz -- when he fled the state of Delaware.
    Matusiewicz is a gun enthusiast who had at least a dozen guns, including a .357 Magnum he kept at his previous residence.
    Matusiewicz worked as a licensed optometrist in the state of Delaware and may still be working in the field. He is wanted for three counts of felony interference with custody. (more plus pics etc at link)

    NCMEC INFO
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

    GREAT news article about the case from 2/17/08:
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0377/1006/news

    Updated article a/o 2/26/08:
    http://media.www.udreview.com/media/...-3233565.shtml

    Let's find these sweet girls and that evil grandmother and her son.
    If it was the mom that didn't return the girls after a visit, because she wanted to try something that showed positive results with autism, I have a feeling we may root her on. But because it's the dad in this situation - he's declared evil.

    He shouldn't have not returned the children - there is absolutely NOTHING to suggest he doesn't love and adore his girls. I think there's more to this story.

    I just saw a re-run of Greta, they have joint custody, and I thought he had physical custody because he had the marital residence.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    LOL, uh, yeah, if someone (either gender) disappears with children that also belong to someone else, I believe they are evil. My opinion, I guess.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Orange County
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    LOL, uh, yeah, if someone (either gender) disappears with children that also belong to someone else, I believe they are evil. My opinion, I guess.
    belong to someone else? He's their father! He has physical custody - and they have joint custody -

    If my daughter's father tried to prevent me from using something that could potentially change her health, her life, her possibilities in life - I'd probably just disappear too.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    She's their mother!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    471
    I don't know the details, but once skimmed an article about a controversial autism treatment that some said is dangerous...even deadly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Orange County
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I don't know the details, but once skimmed an article about a controversial autism treatment that some said is dangerous...even deadly.
    I think you may be referring to chelation therapy - I have heard of deaths associated after the use, I didn't see if it was because of chelation - or the underlying reason they had chelation.

    BioFeedback is not dangerous to my knowledge. I work for an alternative health practitioner who provides it, I'll ask him next week.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Well, if he was that concerned that his autistic daughter should receive that treatment, he could have done it on the sly while he had her most of the time. None of this makes sense to me. Why take all 3 then? He planned it all out well in advance, even to the point of faking his ex-wife's signature on a $250,000 loan!!!

    He has taken these girls from their mother and I just hope they are alive and well and will be reunited with her soon.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure biofeedback therapy is harmless. I think people might think it's new-agey, but IIRC it doesn't require meds etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    681
    Wow, this guy is one sneaky creep! He secretly moved all of the furniture out of the house, sold the optometry building for ~$500,000 more than he paid for it, forged her signature on a ~$250,000 refinance of the home. The bank has verified this, and the FBI want him for mortgage fraud, in addition to kidnapping. He sure planned this whole thing out, to steal the kids and run. The neighbor says the she witnessed his father moving furniture, so the old man needs to be interrogated since he must know where his wife, son, and grandkids snuck off to. There is a possible lead they went to Canada. They are such cutie-pie little girls. With that stunning bright blond hair, I hope someone spots them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Orange County
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Well, if he was that concerned that his autistic daughter should receive that treatment, he could have done it on the sly while he had her most of the time. None of this makes sense to me. Why take all 3 then? He planned it all out well in advance, even to the point of faking his ex-wife's signature on a $250,000 loan!!!

    He has taken these girls from their mother and I just hope they are alive and well and will be reunited with her soon.
    ok, i missed the fraud.... I won't stand up for him anymore...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by justche View Post
    I think you may be referring to chelation therapy - I have heard of deaths associated after the use, I didn't see if it was because of chelation - or the underlying reason they had chelation.

    BioFeedback is not dangerous to my knowledge. I work for an alternative health practitioner who provides it, I'll ask him next week.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty certain that's what it was about...chelation.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Quote Originally Posted by justche View Post
    ok, i missed the fraud.... I won't stand up for him anymore...
    LOL, it's ok! I see your point about the word "evil". Maybe that was too harsh. I'll have to think of some others, but I'm pretty sure I can't type them here.



    I really think it's weird he's got that strange relationship with his mom. Ick!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. WV WV - Karen Adams, 54, Chester, 12 March 2007
    By hoppyfrog in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
  2. GUILTY TX - Terry Lee, 44, burned alive, Conroe, 15 July 2007
    By SeriouslySearching in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM