1207 users online (229 members and 978 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJshrink View Post
    I haven't cross checked all the eliminated matches, but his pictures on doe seem to be an almost perfect match to Benjamin Kyle Professor Emeritus in Chemical Engineering at Kansas State University. His phone number there is 785-532-5584. His e-mail is bgkyle@ksu.edu and his web site is listed as http://www.che.sku.edu/~bgkyle/
    NJshrink, from your post I am assuming that you saw Benjaman Kyle's pics. Since the website you listed is no longer good I am wondering how you saw the pic of Professor Benjamin Kyle, Emeritus. If you have access to or can post a link to a pic of the professor, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

"WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    Thank you SS.

I think there is a possibility that the two may be related, but I doubt strongly that this could be Benjaman. I would look into it mainly because Benjaman may have chosen his name for a reason and there may be a hint of resemblance to each other. Perhaps there is a remote possibility that they are related. This is just my take on it.

I don't think it is our BK because it is doubtful to me they would leave his photo on the faculty page for this long in his absence. However, there is a chance it could be his older brother or even cousin. I will be anxious to hear about this one. I think it is the best lead I have seen yet.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

I don't think it is our BK because it is doubtful to me they would leave his photo on the faculty page for this long in his absence. However, there is a chance it could be his older brother or even cousin. I will be anxious to hear about this one. I think it is the best lead I have seen yet.

Is anyone going to contact the good professor to follow up? Can't hurt.....

I put the professor's picture (enlarged) beside our BK, here it is and I'll add it to the photo thread, too...

Not sure if it looks like him or not, but I think it's definitely worth looking into - so who's making contact??

Great job everyone!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I thought Benjamin used "Benjamin Kyle" because the initals were BK, as in the Burger King that he was found behind? It definately wouldn't hurt to shoot the Prof an email though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaWanda View Post
    I thought Benjamin used "Benjamin Kyle" because the initals were BK, as in the Burger King that he was found behind? It definately wouldn't hurt to shoot the Prof an email though.
    You are absolutely correct-he did. His real affinity is for the name Benjaman, spelled exactly that way.

Did anyone bother to check with the Professor?
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Directly from Mr Kyle

Alot of info here...this was in an email we rec'd from BK.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaman Kyle
    Mama Elena's is or was on East Colfax. The building was next to a Taco Bell and built of the same brick that they used to use for Taco Bells.. I always thought the building might have been built as a headquartres building for a Taco Bell Franchisee or a regional Headquartres for Taco Bell itself.
    Mama Elena"s lad the best "mexican" food in Denver. They said everything was prepared fresh daily and I believe it. It tasted like it. Th ey said their cuisine derived from the French when France ruled Mexico for a few years through a puppet emperor.
    Near the corner of Colfax and Colorado were two coffee shops [now termed "family restaurants" as opposed to Starbucks which I don't believe even existed then] Azar's Big Boy and White Spot.I see by satellite pictures that neither building exists any longer.
    Azars did have a great buffet, but lousy service. White Spot was great for bar rush but usually only had one cook on duty so it took a long time to get your food. Azar's always seemed to have plenty of staff on duty but they seemed more interested in talking to each other than waiting on customers. There was another White Spot closer to the State Capital on Colfax That was frequently called the Gay Spot instead of the White Spot. Both chains are now out of business, at least I can not find them anywhere in the internet.

The Normandy was on Colfax at Monroe Street [I think]. Their parking lot fronted Colfax and the building fronted a side street. It was very High End [expensive]. It had originally been located futher east on Colfax, again, itn an old house on the corner. After they moved another French Restaurant took over the building and made a success of it [ Tante Louise? ].
    Down the street from Colorado Boulevard, west, toward the Capital Building, there was a old Sambo's building which was occupied by several restaurants at one time or another but none of them ever seemed to make a success of it. across the street from the Sambo's was an old Red Barn restaurant building that became an antique store. I think it is still in business.
    Across from East High School was a Kentucky Fried Chicken clone whose name I do not remember.Just east of the chicken place was an Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips.
    Somewhere on East Colfax, near the Park Avenue intersection was Mountain Man Pizza [I think I have the name right]. They had gotten several awards for having the best pizza in Denver, in my humble opinion it was the best in Colorado. They also had a store in Steamboat Springs. They had a salad bar set up in an old cast iron bathtub just inside the door.
    I recognize several of the restaurants mentioned in your E-mail to Ms. Slater. Westworld used to publish these awards every year. I think they made up some category's just so their advertisers could win something.

From the email - I think it would be fair to say he spent some time in Denver. Or am I only repeating the obvious?

So.... given that he knows these restraunts so well - did he work in the area? Someone working in the area would frequent different places during lunchtime.

If anyone has access to Denver newspaper archieves, it might be possible to figure out when the White Spot and the Big Boy went out of business and when the one restraunt was turned into an antique store. This could give us a bit of a timeframe. BK says he remembers when the antique store went in.

There is also a high school that he talks about. I wonder if he went to high school there and he was in the area during his late teens, before heading off to college? I just say this because he seems to remember the high school, and high schoolers would also frequent nearby restraunts and would definitely notice which ones were too expensive.

Salem

If someone from the Denver area could contact one of the current restaurant owners or other business owners in that area, I'm sure they might be able to give some sort of a time frame for the combination of restaurants which are recalled. Also if there is any business in that area that has been in existence for a long period of time, that owner might be most helpful. This extensive listing of places seems to indicate someone who ate out OFTEN in that area, or someone who had some type of business that required him to visit these places. (Health inspector, linen service, supply sales, etc. ????)

http://www.larryhotz.com/blog/cool-fax-avenue/
    I don't know how to create a link, sorry, but this is a real estate website that has an article about restaurants and the popularity of the Colfax street area in Denver. From the picture of Larry Hotz on the site, he seems to be about the same age as Mr. Kyle is thought to be, so if someone wanted to contact him and send an email regarding this case, he might be helpful. The article is about the Colfax area being referred to as "Cool-fax" and was written by Elizabeth Hotz from the same real estate firm.

Here is another possible helpful source of information. I am unable to email or otherwise contact anyone at these sites today, but would love to hear what these places have to say about MR.KYLE if anyone else could please check these sources out.
    ....Quote.....BASTION"S RESTAURANT
    3501 E. Colfax, Denver (303) 322-0363
    We have been serving guests for almost 60 years. We know how to show our guests a dining experience with our entrees such as grilled salmon, steak and shrimp, Cajun Catfish, and our signature Chicken Florentine. We are located on the east side of downtown Denver on Colfax, and we have free parking behind the restaurant. Please call ahead with reservations.

Wow!

Sure seems Mr. Kyle has a lot of specific memories about Denver - I can't believe that's a coincidence! I've been reading up on the history of Colfax Avenue - and there's quite a lot of information out there. Seems the avenue has seen better days. I'm posting a link to an article that explains this historic avenue and provides a great timeline for how it has evolved through the years. May help us narrow down when Mr. Kyle was in that area. Two things about his memories; when did Taco Bells start popping up? And, I know it's been stated that he seems to have a good deal of knowledge about restaurants - possibly building or engineering. But maybe he was a food critic or a restaurant building inspector???? IDK - but here's the article!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3850661

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast