986 users online (129 members and 857 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    in Oct 1997, pepsico spun off ....taco bell therefore forming tricon global rest.
    under taco bell history...on their website, now who knows how long it took before one popped up in that area...but i would think 1997, 1998 or a little earlier would be a good guess for BK
    beverly

Could anyone contact Taco Bell and ask? To contact them via their website you need a US adress.

I don't know how the system is in US, but in Denmark you need to registre your company, and those information are keept for years even after the business is closed. If you have those kind of information, maybe it is possible to find former owners of restaurantes and businesses in the area.

If he was in Denver in 1997/98, a search of the Denver paper archives might be useful for those years.

Also, getting a phone number for the antique store and finding out when it started business might be helpful.

Contacting the Larry Holtz guy in Reann's post above may prove very helpful, especially if he likes to talk.

I know we have case managers for BK. Could I ask one of them to explain what we posters can do on our own without messing up anything they are working on? I know it is best to have only one or two people do contacts so that we don't overwhelm anyone. I would be more than willing to send an email to the Realtor guy, but I don't want to get in anyone's way. Let me know and I will either contact or not contact depending upon the reply

Salem

I am a very newbie here- and this is my first time posting. Fascinating story and so sad that the case has not been solved. Please allow my observations and ideas from "new eyes" on the case. My first thought was- wow, this guy looks like my Dad. (It is not, my Dad is living with my Mom). They do have many similarities- for one, my Dad has always been told he looked like Gerald McRaney! I believe they may be similar in age- DOB around 1940. His musculature and physical attributes- similar to my Dad who worked in construction/building. His knowledge of electrical work and restaurants- maybe he worked in building them. Does his skin look weathered- like he may have worked outside in the sun?? How about his hands- are they smooth and soft or rough and scarred like a man who has physically worked with his hands for a living? As for the name Benjamen- my thought is maybe that is the name of his son- not of himself. Maybe he remembers the name of his most dear loved one- even if it is someone who he has not seen in a while. For, if he had a family- a wife, girlfriend or grown children- surely they would be frantically looking for their lost loved one. It seems like someone would have discovered him by now. My observations- but maybe some new ideas.

Welcome Aimee - great to have a new pair of eyes here!

My memory isn't what it used to be (along with many of my body parts!), but I remember Taco Bell from long before the 90's. I would venture to say late 70's even. With that said, the reason I'm focusing on this point is because Colfax Avenue appears to have transformed significantly over the years. From what I have read, it began as a truly wonderful and major thoroughfare and has degenerated into a hangout for hookers, pimps, homeless and other less than ideal citizens. Benjaman's memories of it seem to be centered around restaurants and that may make it easier to pinpoint the timeframe during which he was in the area. Judging from what I found on Colfax on-line, I'm certain the Denver area libraries would have more in-depth historical accounts. But I'm not in Denver!

Ok I have found some very intreging connections with the Big Boy

based on what I have found the AZARS big boy was in COLORADO and INDIANA, they were a Big Boy franchise it appears the ONLY 2 states that have AZARS franchinses or DID is Indiana (fort Wayne( might stil be open and Colorado.

Also, based on other research the SAME arcitects that built the Denver Azars Big Boy also built a Big Boy in Indianapolis strange huh?/

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/p...uctureid=10170

More digging I found this to be really odd I guess the man that owned the Big Boy in Denver Colorado LIVED in FORT WAYNE indiana weird

here is a link

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

one more thing I found

Denver Post - NewsBank - May 14, 1994
    The last Azar's Big Boy outlet in Colorado closed two years ago.

so the last Big Boy he could have possibly been in, in Denver is 1992.

He speaks of White spot- those are restraunts I've seen in BC Canada.
    He also says neither building is there where he thinks they were anymore... Could he be from Canada?

I've never seen a white spot in USA and they are definitely not out of business in Canada.
    White spot is somewhat like Applebees or Dennys.

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to websleuths though I have lurked for years. I did some digging around this evening based on the email in this thread from BK. Here's what I found:

1969 - 1984 Sambo’s open and active in Denver
    http://www.santabarbara.com/Dining/r...restaurant=773

Which means, if he is referring to the "old Sambo's", it would have to be after 1984. However, for him to remember that it was originally a Sambo's, he would have had to have seen it close (perhaps ate there before it closed). Therefore, 1984 or earlier.

Next, the infamous Red Barn/antique store:

Old Red Barn now a Starbucks
    Location according to Red Barn memory website is 2975 E Colfax Ave Denver, CO
    http://www.barnbuster.net/barnsgonebye12.html
    Street view on google maps estimates the address at around 2914 E Colfax Ave Denver, CO (if you'd like to take a look - can not tell what is across the street that he claimed had been many unsuccessful restaurants)
    Opened(?) Or was active on April 23, 1969. (Source barnbuster.net)
    Closed at the latest in 1986, as that is the year the final leases on Red Barn Stores were terminated.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Barn

This is directly from the notes that I took while I was researching, so I mostly just stated the fact and source, just like high school report data.

Based on what I found above, I theorize that BK was active in Denver in the mid 80's to early 90's.

There use to be a White Spot Drive-In in Denver, CO. I'm not sure when it went out of business though.

Title: White Spot Drive-In, Denver, Colorado

These authentic vintage images are reproduced digitally, resulting in a unique, "hand colored," textural finish.

Source: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/White-..._i1543447_.htm

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyE View Post
    He speaks of White spot- those are restraunts I've seen in BC Canada.
    He also says neither building is there where he thinks they were anymore... Could he be from Canada?

I've never seen a white spot in USA and they are definitely not out of business in Canada.
    White spot is somewhat like Applebees or Dennys.

I'm not sure if this is the same White-Spot??

the white spot

a 40s-era diner, home of the best tattooed hair-metal-lovin' grilled-cheese-makin' chef in southern Colorado.

[Sad postscript: the White Spot was torn down in late 2006.]

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/egleyta...7602174443373/

This comes from an article in the Denver Post dated August 2006 about the White-Spot:

"Cultural amnesia"

Still, it's a race against the wrecking ball. Once there were eight White Spot coffee shops in Denver, classic Googie landmarks, but the last one in operation was demolished a few years ago.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/style/ci_4206840

I searched for a Mama Elenas in Denver, but could not find one. There is a Mamas Cafe on Colfax, and a Maria Elenas Mexican restaurant in Lakewood, a few blocks away from Colfax. One restaurant review site states that they have been open for more than 23 years. Is there anyone local that could go into Maria Elenas with BKs picture and ask if the owner recognizes him? They might not know his name, but might remember that he came in with a "blond" or "brunette" who was a wife or girlfriend?

Is there any audio available of BK that doesn't have a newscaster talking over him? I would love to do speech reversals on him. The only audio I have has the reporters talking over him and that makes it way too hard to hear him.
    The whole reverse speech thing may be a longshot but you never know, something positive could come out of it.
    ~If ever, you are having too much fun~Someone, somewhere, will put a stop to it

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast