1202 users online (180 members and 1022 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Wait a second, I just had a thought. Birdie you made me think of it with your post. I remember reading in earlier posts that the curtains were open, the lights were on. So the mother, believing the children had gone to bed had closed them and turned off the lights, figuring the children in their excitement over the toys had forgotten to turn off the lights and close the curtains. That was a job they were supposed to do each night. So... Here's a question. let's say the door was open too. And the kids were outside of the house taking care of the chickens and other outdoor duties. If she closed and locked the door they'd be stuck outside. Um... Would they have banged on the door to be let in? or could it be a possibility that instead they went to say a neighbor's house or something, perhaps someone was still awake in a home nearby if they didn't want to wake their parents.

GUYS! Check out girl in the magazine page I think I may have found the photo finally!!! Take a look and tell me what you all think! It is a 1947 picture of girls in a ballet class and one of them I think looks a lot like Betty!!! Not good at sizing that up but want to know what you guys think!!!!

Thanks!

One more idea I was thinking of. I remember distinctly reading that there was NO christmas tree that year. That it was a sad time for the family because the oldest brother was stationed in the armed services somewhere and could not be home for christmas. I remember that Jennie said that a fire could not have started from a tree because there was no christmas tree. Did anyone notice anything missing from the shed? Welp I do know a ladder was missing and was found aways down the road by the telephone line but I am talking about an axe or something. Any possibility the kids thought if they went out and got a tree that the family would be less sad? Or did the kids want a tree? Or something of that nature?

Quote Originally Posted by catsy101 View Post
    GUYS! Check out girl in the magazine page I think I may have found the photo finally!!! Take a look and tell me what you all think! It is a 1947 picture of girls in a ballet class and one of them I think looks a lot like Betty!!! Not good at sizing that up but want to know what you guys think!!!!

Thanks!
    Heh, heh....... me thinks you forgot the link to the picture......

Catsy, I reread an article last night that did say the lights were on, the shades were up, and the door was opened, so she drew the shades, locked the door, turned off the lights, and went back to bed.

I also wondered if they had been locked out. I doubt they would have wandered off and gotten hurt though because of all the other weird things surrounding the case. I tend to believe the inn keeper who claimed to have seen them later. I also think if bodies had been found anywhere in the region, even way down the river, that it would have been checked out. It didn't take long before the parents started suspecting there was more to the story and hired a PI.

I didn't forget it tall cool one, it is in the other forum under Sodder, the one that says "george saw a picture..." I put the link there.

I don't think this detail is too significant, but I should correct myself. I've been saying that Mr. Sodder went to Fl to search for the kids, but he had sent a PI to do it instead. I reread all the old posts this weekend, so hopefully the details will be fresher in my mind now.

I wanted to ask Granddaughter about her great-grandmother Maria Cipriani. I know she was living when her husband passed away in 1944, but I don't see her death certificate on the WV culture website. Did she move away?

Also, one old post mentioned a forum called justice quest. I don't know if that's the one that they kept talking about with lablover who was posting so much good info, but I've searched and don't think it's up anymore. Is there anyone who used to read the other forum who remembers any info listed there but not here? If so, it would be great if you would post it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie74 View Post
    Also, one old post mentioned a forum called justice quest. I don't know if that's the one that they kept talking about with lablover who was posting so much good info, but I've searched and don't think it's up anymore. Is there anyone who used to read the other forum who remembers any info listed there but not here? If so, it would be great if you would post it.
    Lablover, if I am not mistaken, was on the "Hey Martha board" for the Register Herald, Beckley, WV. If my memory serves be right, he knew alot about Smithers, WV and the goings on during that time. Lablover wanted to get on Websleuths but never could. The Hey Martha board was taken down. I don't think you can read any of the old posts. There is, however, and interesting comment on Stacy Horn's blog (after she did her story). Would take some searching to find it but someone who was familiar with Smithers posted a few interesting "tales" about the town. I think Lablover was living in Arizona at the time he posted.

Thanks fox.

Have you read the the download statements on the sodder children's web site? There is a one from Mary Ann the oldest daughter. The missing children were still playing when she fell asleep on the couch the night of the fire. There is also a letter from Mr Sodder and a few others. It's all worth reading.

I have that downloaded on my computer. Let me see if I can post. Not sure how to do this am not all that comp savvy like my husband is

Catsy, that does look a lot like Betty. I didn't think it did as much at first until I saw it enlarged. Then I minimized the screen some and viewed it side-by-side with the picture we know is Betty and I saw a lot of similarities.

BTW, since I only live about 4 hrs from the Cortez/Bradenton, Fl area, I'll be taking a couple of days off work soon to go down and see if I can find out anything. I'd like to try to find out what I can that might help me before I go, so I'll put a few questions out there in case anyone can answer them:

When did Frank Cipriani move to FL? (I just know it was sometime between the census of April 1930 and his father's death in October 1944.)

How many kids did he have? Any dates and ages would help too. (I know he had 2 in the 1930 census, Edward, 8, and Joseph, 5. I know there's a Frank Jr too, but he might be one of the same boys who went by a middle name. He's likely to have had many more, and while I'm on my trip I'll look up any births down here, but if anyone in WV has already looked up the WV births or could, that would be great. If not, I'll do it next month when I visit WV.)

When were the children supposedly seen down there, and when did the private investigator go there?

I read one place that there were 3 people who claimed to see them there. Is there any record of who these witnesses were?

I plan to see what I can find out from the local library and courthouse. Maybe the library will have old yearbooks. Also, if I can find out what public or Catholic school they might have attended if they were there long, I'll try to see what I can find out there (if it isn't abandoned for summer). I'll see if I can find the church they attended, too.

If anyone else has ideas of where I can check, please let me know.

Thanks Fox interesting information. I think it would be great to have someone go there and check it out.

Okay on a whim I just looked up Sodder in FL in the white pages online Came up with three names and ages all in different areas in FL.

Cynthia Sodder lives in Plant City It states that she is 36 years of age but she is unlisted so no phone number

Ricky Sodder also lives in Plant City It states that he is 51 years of age but he is also unlisted so no phone number

John Sodder lives in Gulf Breeze It states that he is 72 years of age but is also unlisted No Number

Russel Sodder lives in Jacksonville it does not say an age and again unlisted so no number

These are the only sodders it shows in all of FL but might be worth a look. Could the younger ones potentially be the children of some of these children or grandchildren?

Okay on the other side of the coin, tons of cipriani's live in FL.

I'll get a list

(I think we each need to take some names and start making some phone calls, if granddaughter does not know which ones are family and which aren't. Perhaps, given it has been so long, some of them will talk to us). So let me know who can do what.

Who wants to take the first list?

Here it is:

A Cipriani

home
    654 Hummingbird Ln
    Delray Beach, FL 33445-1882

(561) 498-8471

A Cipriani

home
    1501 Middle Gulf Dr
    Sanibel, FL 33957-6528

(239) 395-0815