1044 users online (230 members and 814 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

flying "toilet-class" with JetBlue airlines

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tflight13.html

NEW YORK — A New York City man is suing JetBlue Airways Corp. for more than $2 million because he says a pilot made him give up his seat to a flight attendant and sit on the toilet for more than three hours on a flight from California.

Gokhan Mutlu of New York says in court papers the pilot told him to "go 'hang out' in the bathroom" about 90 minutes into the San Diego to New York flight because the flight attendant complained that the "jump seat" she was assigned was uncomfortable, the lawsuit said.

Mutlu was traveling on a "buddy pass," a standby travel voucher that JetBlue employees give to friends, from New York to San Diego on Feb. 16, and returned to New York on Feb. 23, the lawsuit said.

Initially, Mutlu was told a flight attendant had taken the last seat on the plane, but then he was advised she would sit in the employee "jump seat," meaning he could have the last seat, the lawsuit said.

The pilot told him 1 ˝ hours into the five-hour flight that he would have to relinquish the seat to the flight attendant, court papers say. But the pilot said that Mutlu could not sit in the jump seat because only JetBlue employees were permitted to sit there, the lawsuit said.

When Mutlu expressed reluctance to go sit in the bathroom, the pilot, who was not named in the lawsuit, told him that "he was the pilot, that this was his plane, under his command that (Mutlu) should be grateful for being on board," the lawsuit said.

When the aircraft hit turbulence and passengers were directed to return to their seats, but "the plaintiff had no seat to return to, sitting on a toilet stool with no seat belts," court papers say.

Some time later, a male flight attendant knocked on the restroom door and told Mutlu he could return to his original seat, court papers say.

Mutlu's lawsuit, filed Friday in Manhattan's state Supreme Court, says JetBlue negligently endangered him by not providing him with a seat with a safety belt or harness, in violation of federal law.

A JetBlue spokesman declined to comment on the lawsuit Monday.

I couldn't help but giggle a little. I doubt I would sue for $2 million though. Does every action have to have a price tag?

That is so funny, what people will sue for and the lawyers who do it for them. Thanks for the post!

give me a couple of magazines (Smithsonian and Martha Stewart Living) and a lock to keep my children out and I would have been totally OK with that!!

not buying it for a minute=

Part of the $2 million is probably what they call "punitive damages." That means they "hit the company where it hurts, in the pocketbook" this discourages them from repeating their mistake and sets an example for other companies.

Headline to this thread is a crack-up

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    not buying it for a minute=
    Agreed. There *has* to be more to this story.

Hoppy

Was that the only toilet and did he have to let people in to go to the bathroom? Ewwww....

I found it demeaning and dangerous for the pilot and stewardess to make him sit on a toilet for that long without a safety belt when the jump seat was available. The pilot was an ass.

I wonder if the friend who gave him the "buddy pass" still has a job today?

It almost sounds to me as if there might have been a problem such as body odor or another offending disturbance.

Of course, if the other passengers can vouch he was actually asked to sit in the bathroom and give up his seat to the flight attendant as he claims...Jet Blue has a $2 million dollar problem and the pilot will have his wings clipped.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    I wonder if the friend who gave him the "buddy pass" still has a job today?

It almost sounds to me as if there might have been a problem such as body odor or another offending disturbance.

Of course, if the other passengers can vouch he was actually asked to sit in the bathroom and give up his seat to the flight attendant as he claims...Jet Blue has a $2 million dollar problem and the pilot will have his wings clipped.
    "wings clipped", that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah,me View Post
    The pilot was an ass.
    No pun intended.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    give me a couple of magazines (Smithsonian and Martha Stewart Living) and a lock to keep my children out and I would have been totally OK with that!!

I want to hear more, it seems like there must be more to this story.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

I'm sorry, but until the airlines are punished for treating people like crap (oops!) they will continue to do so. I hope they lose their ass. (oops again!)

Can you imagine being forced to ride on a toilet? What if they had hit turbulence?

This isn't airline policy, not even remotely - I wouldn't punish the airline unless this was some policy, or ignored. If the story is complete - then it's a single bad pilot. But I suspect there's a lot more to this story than is being given.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Any updates?
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast