734 users online (152 members and 582 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ramona Price 1961 / Todd Collett 1964

I posted an up to date/ more information in the Cold Case Section....

Thanks~

[font='Arial','sans-serif'] I would also like to add another odd chapter to this story. In 2001 when I began to dig deeper into the Collett case, I was attending my local community college. I wasn't one for being social and was not really there to make friends. One day while I was waiting for a class, a student that was in several other classes of mine approached me as I was reading through the Collett files. She asked me what I was doing and for some reason I just blurted out the whole story from the beginning of when my sister in law first told me the story over 10 years before. She looked at me with a shocked expression and said, “you’re not going to believe this but my family was friends with the Colletts!' She went on to tell me that her mother used to babysit Todd and Travis. She said Mrs. Collett had dropped the boys off at her house the day before Todd disappeared. Apparently, Todd pitched a fit and didn't want to stay, so Mrs. Collett only left Travis. She told me that she even had a picture of Travis and her sister sitting on the front porch of her home from that day. Sure enough, the following day she brought me a copy. [/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif'] She also said that her dad's best friend (Manuel) was in the custody of the Santa Barbara County Jail and was working on the chain gang kiddy corner from where Todd was last seen on that day. He and some other guys had been working in a field when he noticed a small child on the corner. He said that he saw a man pull up along side of the child, go around the front of the car and open up the passenger side door and put the child in the car. He then walked in front of the car, got in, and proceeded to drive up over the Turnpike overpass which is where Greg and the bloodhounds had indicated he had gone. Apparently at the time, Manuel didn't think anything of it as he thought it was the child's father until he was later informed of the incident. When I asked my friend if she was aware that Manual had ever filed an official report with the sheriff regarding this issue or had given any other details about the car or the man, she said she didn't know and that he had since died. I questioned her father and he could not remember any other details. I was also curious to know if any other inmates had seen anything out of the ordinary.[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif'] I found it utterly amazing that despite how unsociable I was at school, that not only did I feel the need to spill my guts out to an acquaintance but that she had 2 separate ties to this case. As I said previously in my posts, my sister in law and I met Travis and we all had a meeting with the cold case detective in charge a few years back. I asked the detective if there were any reports that Manual had indeed reported this that and the detective's response was that he didn't know but "would look into it." [/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif'] There are a few other odd and strange things to this saga that I will post in the near future. Thanks for listening….[/font]

Ramona Price

I knew Ramona Price. We were in the same Sunday school class together. I vividly remember the Sunday before she disappeared, she had reminded the teacher that it was someone's birthday and we needed to sing happy birthday.

The next Sunday it was a very disturbing class, the two teachers kept speaking in whispers and there was a very somber mood. My mother told me what had happened -- all I could think of was the sweet little girl reminding us we needed to sing happy birthday.

In January 1970, when I was in high school, there was an article in the Santa Barbara News-Press about unsolved mysteries of the 1960s, and there was a picture of Ramona with pigtails (I don't remember her with pigtails, she had
    shorter hair when I knew her). That was the last I had heard of her till now, but I was always haunted by her disappearance and by not knowing what had happened to her.

I can't believe that any parent would allow their 7 year old child to walk 5 miles alone. I was 5 years old back in 1961 and my parents would have never let me walk that far alone. I think it's very strange her father told her it was ok. I think some pedophile kidnapped her and killed her.

Ramona Price

Her father thought she was kidding when she said "I am going to walk to the new house." So he jokingly said, "Go to it!" When he realized that she was gone (about a half hour) he spead along the route that she walked. She was seen by several people and her scent was picked up by dogs. Then, she vanished.

Exclamation Todd Collett 1964 - Ramona Price 1961 - Santa Barbara

FACTS ON RAMONAPRICE CASE

On the morning of September 2, 1961 Ramona Irene Price, age 7, told her father she was going to walk to their new home. That day, the Prices’ were moving from a home in Santa Barbara to one located in Goleta, approximately 5 miles away. Her father jokingly said “go to it.” He never saw her again.

At the time of her disappearance, RamonaPrice was 4 ft. tall, 45 lbs. and had a dark pixie style haircut. She was last seen wearing a brown and white pull over sweater, brown pants with fine pin stripes and flip flops.
    Ramona walked from Oak Ave. down Modoc Rd. and towards the entrance of the La Cumbre Country Club; police believe it was there that she disappeared.

Extensive searches proved fruitless. Bloodhounds hit on several sites, although nothing significant ever emerged. One dog did show interest near an old house on a hill in the area and foot steps of a small child and adult were present. The handler said the scent could have been Ramona’s, but still for some reason, they deemed this information inconclusive because the dogs were not being consistent. The dogs did indicate that her tracks went upward through the Hope Ranch area, but went back towards the Country Club ultimately ending in the vicinity.

Along her route she was spotted by several people. One woman said that she saw Ramona dragging a stick behind her and many people said (foot steps in dirt confirmed this) that she stopped often to remove her sandals, as they had pinched her feet. Searchers combed the entire area all the way to the beaches. No trace of her was ever found.

Several witnesses came forward with similar descriptions of a car. Some people claimed they saw a blue/grey Cadillac or Plymouth. A few people said they saw a man, 60’s, thin face wearing a felt hat, obviously interested in Ramona.

Modoc Rd. was a well known road, but was typically only traveled by the locals. Within a few days, two men were arrested for failing to register as sex offenders. Their names were Ray and William Panno. These brothers did admit they had been in their car across from the Country Club drinking. Their car fit the description given by witnesses.

William Panno had spent time in Mendocino State Hospital for molesting a girl in Isla Vista. When the brothers were arrested for parole violations, their car was confiscated and processed for fingerprint, fiber, and blood evidence. All tests came up negative.

The Panno brothers were both given polygraph exams and were interviewed under the influence of sodium pentothal. Police were slow to reveal that the tests were deemed inconclusive and later, according to the Santa Barbara News Press, the polygraph exams and interviews indicated they had no knowledge of Ramona’s whereabouts.

Police apparently excluded a blue Plymouth found abandon in the Santa Barbara Mountains saying it had nothing to do with this case. I know nothing further on this incident or what made law enforcement come to this conclusion.

A few weeks after Ramona’s disappearance Ventura Authorities reported a blue and white Plymouth 1953-1954 watching children playing near Meirner’s Oaks but the man left the scene before law enforcement could investigate. There were reports of similar incidents in Santa Barbara in the weeks following Ramona’s disappearance.

A Santa Barbara Police Investigator speculated that Ramona may have been abducted by someone working on a nearby road construction site.

Someone out there knows something.

Facts on ToddCollett Case

On January 23, 1964 Todd Eugene Collett vanished without a trace. He was last seen wearing a white shirt and light beige corduroy pants. Todd had a big scar that went from this upper chest to his stomach due to a surgery following an accident. A car had apparently run over him in a driveway. The vehicle also ran over his head, and I believe he had a lazy eye and had a tendency to fall asleep randomly after the accident.

On this day Todd, his twin brother Travis and a friend Greg, (all about 4yrs old) were playing at the corner of Hollister Road and Turnpike Rd in Santa Barbara. There were shopping centers being constructed and the boys knew they weren’t to cross the street and enter the construction site. However, Todd, being the curious one of the bunch, headed toward the dirt embankments. Greg followed and Travis stayed back.

About twenty minutes had gone by when Greg’s mother saw her son across the street. She angrily crossed the street to get her son and brought him back home. When she returned home, she asked where Todd was. Greg was saying something about a bulldozer and a fire. Greg indicated that Todd might have gone over the Turnpike overpass.

Dogs picked up Todd’s scent in the neighborhood around the railroad tracks and did indicate that Todd had traveled over the Turnpike overpass.

Someone must come forth and let the family know what happened to their child.

Happy Birthday Ramona...

bump.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165?source=most_viewed

Posted: 10/14/2007 12:23:06 AM PDT

Snipped from article:

...Fifty years after Tommy Bowman vanished from an Upper Arroyo Seco trail, Pasadena police have relabeled the case a homicide. Cold-case detectives believe Tommy was the victim of Mack Ray Edwards, as suggested earlier this year by local author Weston DeWalt and a team of investigators from other law-enforcement agencies...

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165...#ixzz0rwPkBPYw
    and:

...Nearby, Santa Barbara police Lt. Mark Vierra said they've ruled out Edwards as a suspect after DeWalt brought him to their attention in the case of Ramona Irene Price, 7, who disappeared while walking unsupervised on Sept. 2, 1961.

Edwards made regular visits to the area after a longtime friend moved to Goleta in late 1959 to work as a maintenance man near two major construction projects — a housing tract and a highway.

"Certainly, Edwards is someone we should have worked at and we had to listen to what Mr. DeWalt had to say about him," Vierra said. "Our stance was that he would not be a person of primary interest to us. We think that the two people we looked at ... are probably our primary suspects."

Two convicted sex offenders, Raymond and William Panno, admitted under a voluntary, sodium-pentathol-fueled interview that they saw the 7-year-old from their vehicle and paused to urge her away from the side of the road that day.

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165...#ixzz0rwQVclpr
    A lot more at the link.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California..._578240C.shtml

Cops search for girl who disappeared 50 years ago
    By THOMAS WATKINS

Authorities discovered information four years ago suggesting Ramona's body was buried beneath a highway overpass that was constructed at the time of her disappearance. Edwards worked as a heavy equipment operator on the project.
    LE suspect she was a victim of Mack Ray Edwards.

Kat,
    The link didn't work.
    I heard about this case on HLN this morning. They showed search dogs being used in the area. I wish they had given more info on how the LE decided to check this area.
    Is this Mack Ray Edwards alive and talking?
    It seems very unusual that the disappearances of both Romona and Todd happened within a two years relative period and so near to each other and neither of them have been solved.

Information on Mack Ray Edwards:

[urle="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Ray_Edwards"]Mack Ray Edwards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

who died in 1971
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

"This Time We Get It Right!"
    If you can read this, thank a teacher, if it's in English, thank a soldier!
    If I forget to mention it. Everything I post is my opinion, right or wrong, good or bad.
    If you have questions about Rebecca Zahaus death, please watch this:http://websleuths.com/forums/showpos...00&postcount=1

Boomgirl72 you are quiet so I am going to assume that you are at the dig. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast