1339 users online (304 members and 1035 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Boy, 11, Found With Marijuana Traded iPod for Gun

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355336,00.html
    Jarrett Snipes, a fifth-grader who now has a mugshot, reportedly used an iPod that he had borrowed as a down payment for the gun, which he bought from another child.
    School officials said they found the gun, which was not loaded, along with three small bags of marijuana and a window punch, a pen-sized tool used to easily break windows, inside Snipes' bag. (mugshot and more at link)

**sigh**

I'm betting this kid's "parent(s)" are abusive alcoholics. That's just my gut feeling here. They need to be held responsible as well.

Yeah, me...my heart is breaking for this child. You know his home life has to be quite different if he's doing this kind of stuff at the age of 11. I hope the right intervention can help him before it's too late.

What a punk!
    yeah, his parents should be arrested right along with him. I think he knew exactly what he was doing and I am just curious who he was going to use that gun on.

11 years old??!! God Lord, they definitely need to look at the parents..

You know, with just a little bit of effort on the part of the parents, this kid's life might have gone in a completely different direction. My first question is always "Where are the parents?"

This is heartbreaking, but I have a hard time throwing stones at the parents without knowing more.

When I was 11, I was drinking alcohol and stealing pain pills whenever I got the chance. I wasn't into weapons, but I loved being sneaky and did my fair share of B&E. When my husband was 10, he was growing his own marijuana and engaged in other hooligan shenanigans.

Whether you'll believe it or not, neither of us had bad parents, though there were issues in both of our immediate families that needed to be addressed.

I hope this family and this child can get some help and that his arrest will be the first step that leads to that. My prayers for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    This is heartbreaking, but I have a hard time throwing stones at the parents without knowing more.

When I was 11, I was drinking alcohol and stealing pain pills whenever I got the chance. I wasn't into weapons, but I loved being sneaky and did my fair share of B&E. When my husband was 10, he was growing his own marijuana and engaged in other hooligan shenanigans.

Whether you'll believe it or not, neither of us had bad parents, though there were issues in both of our immediate families that needed to be addressed.

I hope this family and this child can get some help and that his arrest will be the first step that leads to that. My prayers for all of them.
    LOL call me crazy but 10-11 YO growing Marijuana, drinking using pain pills etc is not my idea of shenanigans. I guess I am naive but when I was at these ages I was catching frogs and playing tag etc... I guess my idea of shenanigans was looking at a playboy magazine or making a crank call or whatever.

It just seems that the kids are getting worse and worse 10-11 yo raping people, gang fights, and using drugs.

I hope this kid can get help and get straightened out. It seems weird they named him and put his picture up. I mean I read recently were a group of 13 -15 yo savagely beat and robbed an old man and it said they were too young to name.

SCM, not to pick on you or your dh, but where were your parents? Where were you able to go that you could drink alcohol and not have them realize it at some point? Were you at a friend's home and stayed till you weren't drunk? How at 10 or 11 did you know what to hide from your parents (that would give off that you were drunk?)?

I seriously would like to know, because while I think I'm keeping an eye on my kids...I wonder sometimes.

This kid is doing some serious things, and has a gun. It has to be his home environment, IMO. Parents, fosters or other family have lost control of him somewhere and it didn't just start yesterday.

I hate that his mugshot is out there for the world to see. Yes, this is serious, but he's still a juvenile and didn't kill anyone. Why isn't he protected?

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    SCM, not to pick on you or your dh, but where were your parents? Where were you able to go that you could drink alcohol and not have them realize it at some point? Were you at a friend's home and stayed till you weren't drunk? How at 10 or 11 did you know what to hide from your parents (that would give off that you were drunk?)?

I seriously would like to know, because while I think I'm keeping an eye on my kids...I wonder sometimes.

This kid is doing some serious things, and has a gun. It has to be his home environment, IMO. Parents, fosters or other family have lost control of him somewhere and it didn't just start yesterday.

I hate that his mugshot is out there for the world to see. Yes, this is serious, but he's still a juvenile and didn't kill anyone. Why isn't he protected?
    No - you're not picking! My husband's Mom was in Ireland caring for and then burying her dying mother. She was there 4-5 months. My husband's Dad - a psychiatrist - was a workoholic and was having an affair. My husband had an older teenaged sister who was involved in drugs and that's how he got easily involved. His parents didn't have a clue at the time and were, without question, too wrapped up in their own pains and assuming their children - who appeared fine on the surface - were doing okay . When they did find out what was going on, they got help for their children.

My Mom and Dad were, for the most part, oblivious to my early drug useage. I was a good student and involved in many extra-curricular activities. I rarely got caught doing anything wrong. My Dad worked at the school I attended and was always around. I was just a very good sneak. I still am - I have an uncanny ability to hide wrongdoing from the people closest to me. When my Dad found a note I passed to a friend mentioning drugs and drink, I got in a heap of trouble, but I didn't take it to heart. My Dad was an alcoholic and I didn't think he had any standing to talk to me about substance use. I just vowed to be more carfeul in the future and not get caught again.

I absolutely agree that the unhealthy dynamics in mine and my husband's familie's made it easier for us to make bad choices and get away with them. But the dynamics were different - in my husband's case, his parents were physically and emotionally checked out for a period. In my case, my Dad (who I lived with) was around constantly but still didn't know (maybe because of his own drinking).

I guess I tend to give my parents and my husband's parents a break because DH and I were hard cases when we were young! Also, both families have done a lot of work and had a lot of healing. That would be my hope for this family!

Thanks for sharing all that, SCM. I really didn't mean to pry.

That's all I hope for this family too, that they get the help they need NOW for this young boy. BOY, not man. I hope we aren't going to see an article about him in 10 yrs that he's going to be spending life in jail for something. I still think there's hope.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I think there's still hope for him since he was caught at such a young age. Without intervention, there is no telling how he might turn out.

I hope his parents see this as a wake-up call rather than persecution of their baby boy.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    No - you're not picking! My husband's Mom was in Ireland caring for and then burying her dying mother. She was there 4-5 months. My husband's Dad - a psychiatrist - was a workoholic and was having an affair. My husband had an older teenaged sister who was involved in drugs and that's how he got easily involved. His parents didn't have a clue at the time and were, without question, too wrapped up in their own pains and assuming their children - who appeared fine on the surface - were doing okay . When they did find out what was going on, they got help for their children.

My Mom and Dad were, for the most part, oblivious to my early drug useage. I was a good student and involved in many extra-curricular activities. I rarely got caught doing anything wrong. My Dad worked at the school I attended and was always around. I was just a very good sneak. I still am - I have an uncanny ability to hide wrongdoing from the people closest to me. When my Dad found a note I passed to a friend mentioning drugs and drink, I got in a heap of trouble, but I didn't take it to heart. My Dad was an alcoholic and I didn't think he had any standing to talk to me about substance use. I just vowed to be more carfeul in the future and not get caught again.

I absolutely agree that the unhealthy dynamics in mine and my husband's familie's made it easier for us to make bad choices and get away with them. But the dynamics were different - in my husband's case, his parents were physically and emotionally checked out for a period. In my case, my Dad (who I lived with) was around constantly but still didn't know (maybe because of his own drinking).

I guess I tend to give my parents and my husband's parents a break because DH and I were hard cases when we were young! Also, both families have done a lot of work and had a lot of healing. That would be my hope for this family!
    It's good to hear another point of view, but I still somewhat blame the parents. It's my initial reaction and I should know more before crucifying them. But even in your case and your husband's case, your parents were not there for you, physically or emotionally or both, right? I assume it's the same for this boy. It's sad and unfortunate, but I still blame the parents more than anything. I agree that we need to reserve judgement...it's just hard to do when you see a little kid's face plastered in the news and charges like "concealed weapon" and drug use connected with him. Geez, at 11 he should be interested in sports, cars (not stealing them), girls, etc. It's sad. It doesn't make me angry (except when I wonder where the parents are), but more likely makes me sad for this kid who needs more guidance to steer him off that path.

I'm glad you and your husband turned out okay! Unless you're writing from a prison computer. . . (just kidding ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bilas View Post
    LOL call me crazy but 10-11 YO growing Marijuana, drinking using pain pills etc is not my idea of shenanigans. I guess I am naive but when I was at these ages I was catching frogs and playing tag etc... I guess my idea of shenanigans was looking at a playboy magazine or making a crank call or whatever.

It just seems that the kids are getting worse and worse 10-11 yo raping people, gang fights, and using drugs.

I hope this kid can get help and get straightened out. It seems weird they named him and put his picture up. I mean I read recently were a group of 13 -15 yo savagely beat and robbed an old man and it said they were too young to name.

Yeah, it does seem weird they named him and showed his picture for something that is horrible but minor compared to the monster who drowned her newborn infant in a toilet then stuffed his body in the tank. They didn't even name her yet this kid is all over the news.

hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    It's good to hear another point of view, but I still somewhat blame the parents. It's my initial reaction and I should know more before crucifying them. But even in your case and your husband's case, your parents were not there for you, physically or emotionally or both, right? I assume it's the same for this boy. It's sad and unfortunate, but I still blame the parents more than anything. I agree that we need to reserve judgement...it's just hard to do when you see a little kid's face plastered in the news and charges like "concealed weapon" and drug use connected with him. Geez, at 11 he should be interested in sports, cars (not stealing them), girls, etc. It's sad. It doesn't make me angry (except when I wonder where the parents are), but more likely makes me sad for this kid who needs more guidance to steer him off that path.

I'm glad you and your husband turned out okay! Unless you're writing from a prison computer. . . (just kidding ).
    You are absolutely right that our parents could have been more "there" for us. It becomes a bit more complicated if you look at the fact that at puberty kids start to naturally become less concerned with their parents and more concerned with their peers. There is a natural rift and good parents have to hang on through it and try to be "there" even when not wanted.

Nope - I'm not writing from prison! And I share my experience because I do think it helps us to look at some of the factors why kids turn to such behavior.

I have known many young people who got involved with drugs. Sometimes their parents were totally checked out. Sometimes their parents were great parents getting railroaded by a runaway youth. Sometimes their parents fell somewhere in between those spectrums. It's just hard to know, and I'm always more inclined to reserve judgment until I know more.

This 11 year old may also be interested in sports, cars, girls! I liked all the
    "normal" stuff too - I just also liked being bad and doing things I considered more grown up.

Like others, I'm surprised to see this little guy's picture. I hope he gets some help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast