Parents board flight, forget toddler at airport

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008051...inesoffbeat;_ylt=AiwGj6DSn9EEX8KGLglmM9H9xg8F

The 23-month-old boy's family had just arrived in Canada from the Philippines, but they were forced to repack their overweight bags before catching a connecting flight to Winnipeg, causing them to run late.
In their sprint to the gate, the family became separated.
The boy's father Jun Parreno, told local media he had thought his son was with his wife and the boy's grandparents, who ran ahead. They thought the boy was with his dad. (more at link)

Oh dear. what an outrage. surely you'd notice? :confused::confused::confused:

poor little guy didn't speak English, but luckily they found an agent who spoke Tagalog.

Bless their hearts! I am glad everything ended well. I must say that after getting on the plane, I'd check with my other travellers to make sure the toddler was there!

Hmm, they handed him back after dad flew 1,400 miles back to Vancouver to pick him up and then return to Winnipeg. first day in Canada for the immigrant family. not a great start.

but a happy ending! :)

Tell ya what. . . as fast as my kids were at that age I can't completely blame the family. My oldest was great at pointing at something interesting, then following her finger fully awestruck. My younger DD got tired of sitting in her carseat while I was washing the car, and drove out of the bay while I was rinsing.

Kids are quick, and unless parents are constantly in touch via cell phone or walkie-talkie, things like this are just gonna happen. I'm very glad it turned out all right.

Unbelievable!!!!

How do you not keep track of your toddler while flying???

A 2 year old at an airport.
He would either be in a stroller or holding my hand nonstop. Neither the father nor the grandparents should have left the toddler unattended. Sorry but I have to blame the adults on this one.
They're lucky some freak child molester didn't grab him.

This little dude is quite young to be starring in Home Alone, 3. :)

What a nightmare... I've had to run through airports with our DD more than once (poor child). But it was only me and her, so I knew she couldn't be with anyone else. In between all the other rushing travellers she could have easily have gotten seperated from me though (if I was a little bit less overprotective, that is. She's 9 years old and not even allowed in the next isle of the grocery store by herself :eek:).
And then if you're with other travellers, yes I could see this happening.... but surely they would/could have noticed before take-off. That's the part I don't get.

We got on a plane once where the shut the door right after we entered, and by the time we had reached our seats in the very back they were pushing the plane off... but then with taxi-ing and waiting for the actual take-off you have plenty of time to check if everyone is there, if the flight attendant won't let you check (most likely) I'd have *them* check!

A 2 year old at an airport.
He would either be in a stroller or holding my hand nonstop. Neither the father nor the grandparents should have left the toddler unattended. Sorry but I have to blame the adults on this one.
They're lucky some freak child molester didn't grab him.

Exactly!! Thank you!! I have flown Many times with toddlers and more then one by myself (once I had a 4yo a 2 Yo and I was pregnant)
Never once were either of them not attached to me.
I was terrified to let go of them.

I do blame the parents, but I am not mad at them. I think they need to be more careful. I am glad the child is safe.

With that said, I am so scared that I am going to be the one we read about one day. If my hubby and i are driving and having a pleasant conversation we inevitably look at eachother after 10 minutes and say somethings wrong. We have to do a kid count. We get so caught up in our few peaceful moments that i am nervous that i may forget a sleeping or well behaved child.

Also, my parents left my older brother at the fire department one day during their open house. We used to love going to those. I come from a large family and any time we got into the van we had to do role call. They would say your name and you had to say "here" or that your seatbelt was buckled. That is how we realized he was missing. Of course, we were a mile away by the time we got to him in the role call.

I feel bad for the parents and the kid.

Exactly!! Thank you!! I have flown Many times with toddlers and more then one by myself (once I had a 4yo a 2 Yo and I was pregnant)

I think the keyword here is 'by myself'. These people didn't just lose the child - the mom thought he was with dad, and dad thought he was with mom and grandparents. When you're by yourself you *know* there's something wrong if your child is not with you.

Whatever became of toddler reins? i must admit to remembering them in the 60s, which ages me somewhat. they are a good idea, no?

or are they simply politically incorrect in these times?

surely they would be excellent for crowded places?

You're welcome Amraann.;)

Whatever became of toddler reins? i must admit to remembering them in the 60s, which ages me somewhat. they are a good idea, no?

or are they simply politically incorrect in these times?

surely they would be excellent for crowded places?

I can't tell you how many times I wish i had toddler reins or a toddler leash. I really think i would take my kids out all the time if i had them. My oldest of 3 kids is just under 3 1/2. Yesterday i took them for a walk and the oldest 2 went in opposite directions leaving me as the monkey in the middle holding the baby. I worry about the middle child because she doesn't know not to run in front of cars.

I can't tell you how many times I wish i had toddler reins or a toddler leash. I really think i would take my kids out all the time if i had them. My oldest of 3 kids is just under 3 1/2. Yesterday i took them for a walk and the oldest 2 went in opposite directions leaving me as the monkey in the middle holding the baby. I worry about the middle child because she doesn't know not to run in front of cars.

Are they no longer made and sold at all? :confused:

Are they no longer made and sold at all? :confused:

Floh - they are still sold. Some folks may look down on them but I sure don't. Honestly - I just never took my kids anywhere at that age - too much of a headache and they have just as much fun in their own backyard. Of course - this family needed to travel - so staying home would not have been an option.

i loved my baby leash when my parents used it on ME, and my daughter absolutely loved hers and would ask for it... she could run like crazy at the end of it instead of sitting in the cart, and they made me feel better as a momma. i actually got mine for my daughter as a gift from MY mom!!
so i am all about "baby leashes" and reins and think they are wonderful.
pedinurse

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back