Bad Bras: A consumer alert

What kinda of foreign substance?Should I be taking off my bra now?? :crazy:

I clicked the link but all I got was this:

Our Apologies

The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your browser cache.
Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

What?! That darn news site. Sorry. I'll see what I can find. Grrr...

http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=8165067&nav=menu68_2

Click on the left where it says "WATCH IT HERE" A popup screen should pop out for the video. It just worked fine for me.

Apparently there is a chemical (formaldehyde resin) they spray on the bras to make them look fresh and crisp, and of course....some bras are made in China and nobody knows what they use! VS isn't talking either. Older bras were made in India. Newer bras are made in China.

:eek:

Shouldn't you wash it first? Would that remove the chemical? I'm always trusted VS, what a bummer.

This is kind of a coincidence, the doctor who delivered my babies was from China and he told me to quit wearing undergarments from VS years ago. Maybe he knew something we didn't? :waitasec: I just thought he was making an odd joke!

YIKES !! Looks really painful !! I remember having severe allergic reactions to medications that looked like this and oh wow, talk about uncomfortable and painful !!!

gross. as if we didn't have ENOUGH chemicals attacking us from every angle.. and we wonder why so many women (and, men..) end up with breast cancer...??

this is why i'm learning to sew so i can make my own clothing.. especially bras. the quality of VS has really gone downhill in recent years.. like all designer stuff.. it's all about the name,, they no longer care about quality.

Reb, that's interesting that you're going to make your bras. Do you know where material is made for sewing clothing and bras though?

china, probably..... LOL

I don't think I could grow my own cotton... kind of danged if you do, danged if you don't? LOL!

This thread is making me itchy just thinking about it!

but seriously.... i will have to do research as to where various fabrics are made. might be a good idea to stock up before everything in the entire world is made in china.
but the great thing is... there are lots of sewing classes available in most cities now... as there is a new interest in making clothing since our options are so limited these days. bad quality, trendy crap, overpriced, and more and more of it being made in china every day. it's hard to find basic, simple-yet-stylish, affordable, GOOD quality clothes that fit perfectly. so besides thrifting, the other option is to make your own. i especially got sick & tired of the pathetic selection of bras out there. it helps to learn how to sew with knitted fabric (for the stretchiness). so that's where i'm starting.

This is kind of a coincidence, the doctor who delivered my babies was from China and he told me to quit wearing undergarments from VS years ago. Maybe he knew something we didn't? :waitasec: I just thought he was making an odd joke!

Why on earth would he say that??? :waitasec:

but seriously.... i will have to do research as to where various fabrics are made. might be a good idea to stock up before everything in the entire world is made in china.
but the great thing is... there are lots of sewing classes available in most cities now... as there is a new interest in making clothing since our options are so limited these days. bad quality, trendy crap, overpriced, and more and more of it being made in china every day. it's hard to find basic, simple-yet-stylish, affordable, GOOD quality clothes that fit perfectly. so besides thrifting, the other option is to make your own. i especially got sick & tired of the pathetic selection of bras out there. it helps to learn how to sew with knitted fabric (for the stretchiness). so that's where i'm starting.

I think it's a great idea to take up sewing! It seems like everything is already made in China. I remember being young and traveling down south to buy linens and things (and lots of Levi's), it's a shame that the US has lost most of that. I think my folks saved enough money on the stuff they bought it probably paid for the trips. Those were the days!

Let's go back to the days of bra burning and freedom!! hehehe I was a rebellious sort and refused to wear one until the proverbial pencil rule applied. :)

Why on earth would he say that??? :waitasec:

Allergic reaction to elastic is what he thought. It's such a blessing to have sensitive skin! :) (I'm being sarcastic about the sensitive skin thing, I don't like it!)

This reminds me of the Walmart flip flop fiasco. Horrible burns people suffered on their feet and it only got worse not better over time. An employee of Walmart even got burns just from putting them on the shelves. Here is a link below:

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart.htm

This reminds me of the Walmart flip flop fiasco. Horrible burns people suffered on their feet and it only got worse not better over time. An employee of Walmart even got burns just from putting them on the shelves. Here is a link below:

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart.htm

One of the many many reasons why I never shop at Wal-mart! Too much of a snob, I guess. :rolleyes:

About the bras, I buy all of mine in Mexico for $3.50 for a 2 pack!
The lady in our town makes them herself so I know for sure no cooties will touch the "girls". :crazy:

Formaldehyde?
Used to make the bra look fresh?
How about making them in the US and using a little starch and a steamer?
I hate buying things from China.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back