"Monster" Lawsuit

MagicRose99

Watch out for my thorns!
Reaction score
Talk about ridiculous... apparently, no one is allowed to use the word "monster" according to this company...

<snip>
Monster Cable Products of Brisbane filed suit in Sacramento federal court this week against the owners of Monster Mini Golf in Rancho Cordova along with the Rhode Island woman who sells Monster Mini Golf franchises.

In its trademark infringement suit, Monster Cable claims the miniature golf courses "are likely to cause confusion."

Monster Cable has a history of aggressive trademark protection. According to published reports, the company has sued the Discovery Channel over its "Monster Garage" series, has sued Disney over the film "Monsters, Inc." and has even sued the Boston Red Sox over the left field wall known as the "Green Monster."

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=41996

They keep digging deeper and deeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable

Whether Monster cables actually provide better quality sound or video than generic cables is a highly debated topic among the audio and videophile communities. Various reviews have reported that listeners and viewers are unable to tell a difference between substantially higher-priced Monster cables and inexpensive cables,[1][2][3] especially for cables which carry digital signals such as HDMI cables.[4] In one experiment, listeners could not distinguish between short monster cables and ordinary coat hangers.[5]

Ludicrous!

hey, why don't i trademark my first name and all variations upon it to see if it sticks?

my first name is Marie, so i could be on to a pretty good thing. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ludicrous!

hey, why don't i trademark my first name and all variations upon it to see if it sticks?

my first name is Marie, so i could be on to a pretty good thing. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No dear that wouldn't work because if you use the initial M, it might infringe on Monster's trademark.

I'm surprised they haven't sued Monster.com ... or have they?

What about Monster energy drinks? Oh and by the way... MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER! hehehehehe...:crazy: (tell me I can't say something..)

What about Monster Mash?

Were there no monsters before the cable monsters?:waitasec:

i always have confused cable with golf....whoda thunk?

They did sue monster.com and ....
Disney for the movie monster and ....
the Chicago Bears for their nickname the Monsters of the Midway.

They're truly Lawsuit Monsters!

Sounds like a somewhat cheap way to get publicity, to me.

I see lawsuits in most of you guys' future!!!! :crazy:

Someone needs to "slap" this company down! It's absolutely ridiculous! All they're after is money... settlements... going after little businesses that cannot afford huge lawsuits...

The thing is with trademark/copyright/patent is that if you do not act on every single offense, you won't ever have a shot at upholding your claim. You have to show due diligence in going after every single offender. If you ignore some infringements, you end up having to allow all of them. So, they're obviously trying to protect whatever it is they feel is valuable about their mark. Not that I think they've got anything special to protect, that's just the way it works.

The thing is with trademark/copyright/patent is that if you do not act on every single offense, you won't ever have a shot at upholding your claim. You have to show due diligence in going after every single offender. If you ignore some infringements, you end up having to allow all of them. So, they're obviously trying to protect whatever it is they feel is valuable about their mark. Not that I think they've got anything special to protect, that's just the way it works.

And what are they doing if they're not "picking and choosing"?!?! They certainly aren't going after the big companies... they don't go after all companies...

Doesn't wash... sorry!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back