People over 60 urged to get one-time shingles shot

Dark Knight

Reaction score
ATLANTA - People 60 and older should get a one-time shingles shot that can help prevent the painful rash, U.S. health officials are recommending. There's a 50-50 chance the shot will prevent shingles for those 60 and up, though the odds get worse the older you get. But shingles can be severe for some people, and the government believes it's worth the $160-per-dose cost.

Even those who have already had shingles should get the shot if they are over 60, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/ap_on_he_me/shingles_vaccine;_ylt=Arb3_9drLiFWhi6WVTkOOO6s0NUE

It's crazy how all these old diseases are coming back.

2 of my elderly loved ones suffered with Shingles and they were in terrible pain. I hope folks take advantage of the shots.

It's crazy how all these old diseases are coming back.

I don't think it's really that old, or that it never went away. My mom had it when I was about 12, nearly 20 years ago.

:eek:~ naww, couldn't have been that long ago. :waitasec:

I have mixed feelings about vaccines. The flu shot has not done me a bit of good the last two years. TB shot left me sore for a month. TB test left a scar on my daughter. Bad reactions can cause serious problems and lead to possible death. Is it worth the risk? :waitasec: :confused:

My great aunt is just getting over a case of shingles. What is going on???

My stepfather had shingles real bad this year. He's 69. It's a terrible illness. While he suffered without much medicinal help, many doctors have been having success treating it with Valtrex. I wish we would have known about the Valtrex when my stepfather was dealing with it. After seeing shingles, I would also definintely recommend the vaccine!

i am not sure how I feel about the vaccine. My doctor has recommended that I take it. The article said the vaccine would give you a 50/50 chance of not getting the shingles. It said that 1 in 3 will get the shingles.

This is a new shot and we will not know of any side effects for years. There is a 50/50 chance I will not get the shingles. I may be one of the two in three that does not get it. It is a hard decision for me to make.

Is there any indicators to predict those more likely to get shingles??

If you've ever had the chicken pox...it lies dormant in your nerves forever...and sometimes if it flares up again, you get shingles

I woke up one morning in 2006 with what I thought was pink eye, turns out I had shingles in my left eye, it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. Fortunately I was able to get into see my ophthalmologist and he saved my eyesight. Doctor stated that most people don't come in right away, which I had a hard time believing, because the pain is excruciating! He put me on 800mg of valtrex 5 times a day, for 2 weeks. I still keep prescription on hand, just in case they reoccur.

Not just old people get shingles. I am 27 and I have shingles right now. My doctors said the stress can cause and out break. I read that hormons could also cause a out break. Some doctors think there are going to start seeing more cses of it in younger people cause of the chickenpox shot. Taking care of a person with chickenpox acts as a booster shot to the people that has already had chickenpox. Children are not getting chickenpox any more so the parents don't get a boost so they get shingles. You can not spread shingles to other people they only thing you can spread is chickenpox.

Not just old people get shingles. I am 27 and I have shingles right now. My doctors said the stress can cause and out break. I read that hormons could also cause a out break. Some doctors think there are going to start seeing more cses of it in younger people cause of the chickenpox shot. Taking care of a person with chickenpox acts as a booster shot to the people that has already had chickenpox. Children are not getting chickenpox any more so the parents don't get a boost so they get shingles. You can not spread shingles to other people they only thing you can spread is chickenpox.

My daughter had chicken pox, but it was a super mild case that she got when she was around 6 months old. He felt that might have been why she got it at such a young age. She's almost 19 now and hasn't had another outbreak. The doctor told us that since she had shingles so young, that generally she won't suffer as badly or have repeat occurrences.

I never had chicken pox as child, didn't get them until I was 47 years old. Terrible! Yes, stress can be a cause of outbreak of shingles, when I had them in my eye, doctor gave me prescription for Valium also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back