741 users online (156 members and 585 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957

    Teacher Suspended For Refusing To Administer Tests

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I think this teacher has a good point. This is a teacher at my son's school. My son is not in his classroom but thinks he is a really cool guy.

    There is also a YouTube video with the article.

    http://www.thesylvaherald.com/html/c..._for_refu.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951
    As a teacher, I totally agree with him. However, I suspect he'll just lose his job.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    If this teacher didn't have so many good reasons to stage a boycott I would have labeled him a troublemaker.

    I'm so glad he's drawing attention to these issues of mandatory, standardized testing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    “It is dishonest for me as a teacher to give my students a test which they cannot pass,” Ward wrote. “This test is not a valid test as it does not provide an opportunity for students to show whether they have made progress during the school year or not.”

    Looks like he has soul searched his decision. looks like he cares about his students very, very much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Hmm, I'll have to look into how they are testing my disabled dd. I know the school my other kids go to was rated lower because of the "special ed kids", or so I heard people grumbling that anyway.

    I just think they should be kept out of the overall school ratings for the "typical" children. I think it's sad when schools lose money when their state test scores aren't up to par. Shouldn't they get MORE money for extra tutoring and other helpful programs and books? (While also taking the special ed kids test scores out of it.) It's not rocket science.

    The following statement by the teacher bothered me because my dd is 8.5 yrs and is probably cognitively about 3 yrs, if that. It takes her about 3 yrs to develop cognitively 1 year!! I'll have to ask her teachers if what he indicated is true:

    They’re asking a teacher to develop that kid three years in a single year while they’re only asking for one year of progress for regular kids,” he said.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    “It is dishonest for me as a teacher to give my students a test which they cannot pass,” Ward wrote. “This test is not a valid test as it does not provide an opportunity for students to show whether they have made progress during the school year or not.”

    Looks like he has soul searched his decision. looks like he cares about his students very, very much.
    I couldn't agree with this more and I really hope he doesn't lose his job. He should be getting a raise and the teacher of the year award.

  7. #7
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    As a teacher, I totally agree with him. However, I suspect he'll just lose his job.
    I'm afraid so. I think they will lose a good one if that happens.

  8. #8
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    If this teacher didn't have so many good reasons to stage a boycott I would have labeled him a troublemaker.

    I'm so glad he's drawing attention to these issues of mandatory, standardized testing.
    I hope he gets national attention. Changes need to be made.

  9. #9
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Taximom, many years ago I worked in a classroom for the educably mentally retarded (that's the name they gave it so don't anyone get mad at me for not being PC...lol) and at that time they were required to take the same standardized test as everyone else. It was my job to go around and make sure the students didn't mark more than one answer for a question. They couldn't possibly read and understand the questions...they were not on their level at all. We had taught those students so much that year but the tests surely were no indicator of what they had learned.

    It makes total sense not to include them in the standardized testing at all.

  10. #10
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Quote Originally Posted by calidreamin View Post
    I couldn't agree with this more and I really hope he doesn't lose his job. He should be getting a raise and the teacher of the year award.
    Amen!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    Taximom, many years ago I worked in a classroom for the educably mentally retarded (that's the name they gave it so don't anyone get mad at me for not being PC...lol) and at that time they were required to take the same standardized test as everyone else. It was my job to go around and make sure the students didn't mark more than one answer for a question. They couldn't possibly read and understand the questions...they were not on their level at all. We had taught those students so much that year but the tests surely were no indicator of what they had learned.

    It makes total sense not to include them in the standardized testing at all.
    I can only imagine that the kids either became extremely frustrated during testing or would just start randomly filling in little holes.

    I'm sure the entire experience was confidence building and boost to their self-esteem.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    I guess I should be part of the "fix" instead of grumbling about these silly tests for my daughter. I just wouldn't know where to start.

    As far as I'm concerned, her test results don't mean diddly-squat to me. I know what she's capable of, and what she isn't and so do her therapists and teachers. Every day we try to help her improve on those. There is not one test that is applicable to any child w/disabilities as they are all over the place in their strengths and weaknesses.

    Those results should not affect a school district financially or by taking teachers (esp Spec. Ed!!!) away, or reducing their pay etc. Grrrrr..... hot topic for me.

    I don't mind benchmark tests so that we can sort of figure out where a child stands, but again, those results should have nothing to do with school funding.

    Setting decent IEP goals and making sure they are met should be how teachers are reviewed, IMO.

  13. #13
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    I can only imagine that the kids either became extremely frustrated during testing or would just start randomly filling in little holes.

    I'm sure the entire experience was confidence building and boost to their self-esteem.

    Actually they were very nervous even though we told them not to worry. They wanted to do well but weren't sure what was required of them.
    Definitely not anything that would boost their confidence or self esteem.

    They had to sit through three days of testing. We could have been teaching them something during that time.

  14. #14
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    I agree with you Taximom. Setting realistic IEP goals for each individual child according to their needs and abilities and meeting those goals should be the way progress is noted and teachers reviewed.

    There were 10 children in our class and they were all over the place with their abilities. By no means should their teachers lose their positions or schools lose money because they did not do well on the tests.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    I have never believed in testing kids so good for this teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 120
    Last Post: 09-09-2015, 02:10 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
  3. Mother says son was suspended for calling teacher ‘cute’
    By TrackerSam in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 06:16 PM